Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yep. Kostin did the same thing the year before. Players don’t look at long term. Broberg would have replaced Ekholm in time, while learning from him now on a contending team. Broberg and Bouchard potential number one pairing. Now Broberg joins an aging blues defence on a bubble team.

Eh, broberg just got a guaranteed 9.2 million.

There's a chance if he comes into preseason this year like he did the last three years he literally didn't make the team and he made literally nothing.

I think it makes sense for him. Hell of a gamble for the blues though.

Keep in mind literally if Desharnais didn't get injured in the playoffs we might not even have QOd Broberg.

Reactions: foshizzle

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Sure the peeps in the locker room might not see him the same way anymore
Honestly I doubt any of the Oilers players would hold anything against him either. Even the older veterans that took discounts to sign here. Those guys earned plenty of money already and it's easier to make a choice like that when you have the money.

Many of these guys likely know what it's like to be anxious for that big contract.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Which it sounds like he will be.
To start the season sounds like a good possibility, the jury is still out on if he’d be out for the whole season. And with him being on LTIR there’s no accruing cap space so they would need to move some out if he came back in season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sure, I also Don't Care. Stan isn't some f***ing kid, he knows the situation and just kinda sat around. So here we are.

We don’t know what they were doing. Just because we aren’t getting minute by minute updates on X doesn’t mean nothing is happening and we all know JJ runs a no leaks tight ship. And just because we were all surprised about it this morning doesn’t mean the Oilers were.

My guess is the players had the Oilers in a holding pattern until they could get them formal offer sheets but the terms were no doubt agreed upon beforehand and StL had to make a deal with Dubas to make it happen.

It takes GMs weeks to make simple trades. This dual offer sheet would take some time I would think.

Either way I’d suggest it’s disingenuous to say the Oilers / Bowman were doing nothing. There are probably a dozen or so scenarios they have been going through and were waiting to see if the Blues were going to follow through or not.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
do you think we wait the full 7 days before making a decision or do we match/decline them right away?

IIRC, Canes matched the Aho offer right way like within a day or two
I'm guessing they'll take the week, because why not. There's probably a lot happening in the background. Jackson/Bowman will want to make some calls about trades/PTO options to replace both players. With Bowman being new, I'm guessing they'll also have some discussions with their analytics team, Knoblauch, etc, about their assessment of each player, and their options if they let them walk.

Specifically on Broberg, they clearly had him pencilled in as a top four defenceman on the right side. The plan was to give him a shot on a very cheap deal, and upgrade at the deadline if needed. Now they have to decide how much they're willing to gamble on that projection.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Lol as someone who thinks Stan Bowman is a clown and should never have been hired, this simply has nothing to do with him. STL has clearly been looking at this for a while and Broberg has been in the media cycle plenty for wanting out and getting more opportunity. I'm a little surprised Holloway signed one but maybe his agent is spinning the Savoie trade as a potential replacement for him and that he should get some money and term to secure a roster spot.

The Broberg deal is not good and no one should ever consider matching that. The dude hasn't been able to crack our roster for years, despite running 7D and sheltering the hell out of VD 80% of the time. One good playoff series and a clutch goal against Dallas doesn't change his track record of being less than a fringe NHL player to date.

Armstrong is not a good GM, personally I think he bet on the wrong player of the two and probably should have offered Holloway more then he did since he seems like he has better upside of at least being a checking depth player. Broberg doesn't really have any comparable at 4.5M. Like who is even close to being a comparable? Drysdale? He's 22, has 60 more games and 37 more points at the NHL level and neither is good defensively...Drysdale is signed f***ing 2.3Mx3 lmao.

1723579161247.png

Unless I'm missing something I don't see anything in this RFA age range that points toward Broberg being anywhere close to 4.5Mx2.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd like to see you leave.... go log in to your Calgary Puck account and collect some likes there

Karma must love the Flames, Canucks, etc. with all their winning in franchise history, lol.

Meanwhile we karma our way into Gretzky and Messier and McDavid and Draisaitl, alongside Pittsburgh we've had more talent here than anyone.

Reactions: McDoused

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well maybe we don't lose by 1 goal if Kane isn't injured. I don't think they're going to match the Broberg offer so it's all pretty moot anyway.

It’s all conjecture but the fact remains is they were right there without Kane. I think they do match on Broberg but what an interesting time to be alive.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
do you think we wait the full 7 days before making a decision or do we match/decline them right away?

IIRC, Canes matched the Aho offer right way like within a day or two
We could match them immediately. The longer you wait though, the longer it takes the other GM to go find another offer sheet from someone else. It is just a little bit of a "and screw you too" if you plan to match but wait until the last minute to do it.

Reactions: Cerebral

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Another “fan” that wishes the worst on the Oilers. @Bryanbryoil shouldn’t posting here come with the prerequisite that your cheering for the team to actually be successful? We have to put up with enough ass clowns that make their way over here from other forums to have to deal with these clowns.
Ignore list is getting quite the workout today. ;)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'd like to see you leave.... go log in to your Calgary Puck account and collect some likes there
Calgarypuck might be the only hockey forum on the internet worse than this one. Been here for almost 20 years. Not planning on leaving. But won't support what this franchise has done until it changes.

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Some math on the situation. If Puckpedia is right, this is where we are at.

Puckpedia has the Oilers at being 7,225,541 over the salary cap if we match both offer sheets. So we have to do some things, as we all know. The first, and most minor one, could be to send Josh Brown to Bakersfield. That brings us down to 6,225,541. Not enough to really mean much, I just want Brown in the AHL.

Next, if the Kane rumours are true and he has to go on LTIR, that puts us at only 1,100,541 over the salary cap - until Kane is healthy and needs to come off the cap, at which time, we will have to make some more room. So if Kane is for sure going on LTIR, we can match either of the offer sheets and be under, but not both.

The only other option to send down and get under the cap would be Correy Perry at 1,150,000. However, that would leave us with only 12 forwards and 7 defensemen, so we would not have anyone able to swap into the lineup if one of our forwards is banged up or struggling. Not ideal.

The other option, of course, is trade. The only trade parts that could make sense, are the ones everyone is already talking about - Ceci, Kulak, or Evander Kane himself, although I don't expect Kane will waive his NMC, nor will teams want to take a chance on him if he is having major surgeries.

So if we want to match both, we need to trade Ceci or Kulak. We're not in a strong position to negotiate right now, and have only half of the league to negotiate with. 16 teams have the cap space to take either of those guys, and St. Louis won't be doing us any favours. Neither will Calgary, so that makes it 14 teams by my count. Of those teams, how many would even consider Ceci or Kulak an upgrade? We're probably looking at 5 or so teams that might make sense from a needs and salary cap perspective on Ceci. There may be more with Kulak, as he doesn't have the warts that Ceci does, but even with him, the pool is limited.
Or. F 'em. Broby isn't worth 4.6. Those are the facts. Hell, Holloway isn't worth 2.3 either right now. They had offers from us that made sense with our cap and our window, but they wanted more money. Ok, bye then. Take the savings, trade Ceci to find a better fit with Nurse. Move on.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I'm guessing they'll take the week, because why not. There's probably a lot happening in the background. Jackson/Bowman will want to make some calls about trades/PTO options to replace both players. With Bowman being new, I'm guessing they'll also have some discussions with their analytics team, Knoblauch, etc, about their assessment of each player, and their options if they let them walk.

Specifically on Broberg, they clearly had him pencilled in as a top four defenceman on the right side. The plan was to give him a shot on a very cheap deal, and upgrade at the deadline if needed. Now they have to decide how much they're willing to gamble on that projection.
If they did, they should be fired on the spot. Broberg has never been good on his right side- not in Sweden, not in the AHL, not in the NHL.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It’s all conjecture but the fact remains is they were right there without Kane. I think they do match on Broberg but what an interesting time to be alive.
You only match if he plays his normal side. Don’t match for him to play the right side

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad