Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wonder if you can spread out the surgeries (if he needs multiple) to extend it. Fix one, and wait for the full recovery, and then operate again in 3 months on the next thing. Then Kane comes back healthy and goes down for a quick conditioning stint before the playoffs

It might be what needs to happen if you need one injury repaired and healed before you move on to the next one? Either way it’s a good chance he’s on LTIR until the 2025 calendar year giving the Oilers plenty of time to figure this out. JJ is a smart cookie. He will have something in the hopper and my guess is they’ve known about a potential offer sheet for some time now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I wonder if you can spread out the surgeries (if he needs multiple) to extend it. Fix one, and wait for the full recovery, and then operate again in 3 months on the next thing. Then Kane comes back healthy and goes down for a quick conditioning stint before the playoffs
Why would anyone want to do that though. Just extend your rehab time for the good of the team? Sounds awful.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We just witnessed a huge cap hit sit out for a ruptured spleen and 100% of the NHL official media applaud them for doing so.

Reactions: iCanada

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It might be what needs to happen if you need one injury repaired and healed before you move on to the next one? Either way it’s a good chance he’s on LTIR until the 2025 calendar year giving the Oilers plenty of time to figure this out. JJ is a smart cookie. He will have something in the hopper and my guess is they’ve known about a potential offer sheet for some time now.

And there’s probably another injury that pops up for someone else by then anyways

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Broberg for a 2nd isnt the end of the world, I remember earlier this year he wasn't worth a 4th. Least they will get something back.

Holloway should be matched though.

You don't let Holloway walk for a 3rd which will most likely turn out to be nothing

I would not be too worried about replacing Holloway but the 3rd in return would be underwhelming, that's true.

Reactions: McDoused

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Well he gave us the poison pill of Koskinen on his way out. Not to mention trading for that clown that injured McDavid. Seems to me like he may have had an axe to grind.
And they fired his ass and he then was out of hockey unable to find work for a few years. Sometimes people can’t look in the mirror and understand that they may have had some influence on the situation because they are dumb (not him) or too egotistical (perhaps).

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah, and that solution is dumping another player.

I don't think keeping Broberg is worth creating an extra hole in the roster when you gotta get rid of a Kulak or Kane at the trade deadline along with losing Ceci.

Does that really make the team better?

We made it to within 1 goal of a cup win without Kane or an ineffective Kane and a worse roster.

Ceci is not much less than Broberg who may be a much better D and whose deal is up at the end of the year anyway.

If we have to move Kane you move Kane. Ceci I think is as good as gone with the Broberg offer sheet which I think the Oilers match.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Was the hire worth the headache? I guess we will see what Bowman is worth. Maybe he will succeed. Maybe the hire was Bettman's and the Board of Governors' way of destroying the Oilers.
I don’t smoke conspiracy brand cigarettes.

Stan has a proven GM skill set. Obviously JJ saw value in the hire. I find it best to judge one’s book of work when all chapters are written and the cover has been closed. Like you said, “we will see”.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
With Stauffer and Rishaug now confirming Kane is likely going on LTIR, we can probably afford one but not both.

Walking away on Holloway seems like a no brainer to me. I've never seen the long term upside in the player- I think he's a bottom 6 forward in his prime, and this year he's likely a 4th liner with limited special teams time. In no world can I justify paying him 2.3 when Brown and Janmark make less than 1.5. It sucks to lose him for a third, but I think you can find a comparable or even better player in the $1-1.5 million range, either now or at the deadline.

Broberg is a lot tougher for me. If he can continue to play in the top 4, $4.5 for two years is a bargain. Top 4D are at a premium, particularly if they can play the right side. He's also got a much higher upside, and plays at inarguably our biggest position of need in both the short and long term. In the short term, if we walk away from him we have Ceci and Brown as our second and third d for the season, which is a disaster. We can hope for an upgrade at the deadline, but I hoped for the same last year and it didn't happen. I'm much more nervous about losing him than I am Holloway. Having said that, the risk is obviously higher as well. If he drops the ball in camp the way he has the last few years, that's an anchor that really hurts your chances.

If it's me, I probably match Broberg and walk away on Holloway.
You’re paying Broberg 4.6M to play on his off-side, where has struggled throughout his pro career (including the playoffs) is monumentally stupid. Broberg at 4.6playing RD is bad. Broberg at 4.6M playing left side is a maybe. Problem is Nurse causing issues for both the salary and position

Reactions: McDoused

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Bowman had no input into anything before he was hired. Pretty sad when people are cheering for Bowman and as a result the Oilers to fail when they are supposed to be fans of the team. May as well start hoping for your relatives to fail if they don't listen to your advice to give you the warm and fuzzies too.
?? No one is cheering for the oilers to fail. The same perennial Edmonton media that finds their voice to criticize management when theyre on the way out always goes mute when someone is in chair. They even justify bad decisions with nonsense like "well connected in the league".

You take the good with the bad. I'm happy with the Jackson hire based on his actual moves. I don't get this one but hope I'm wrong and it pans out.

Regardless the whole respected old boys network Bowman word salad has been taken out today.

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad