Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I don’t smoke conspiracy brand cigarettes.

Stan has a proven GM skill set. Obviously JJ saw value in the hire. I find it best to judge one’s book of work when all chapters are written and the cover has been closed. Like you said, “we will see”.
So you sit through a 2 hour movie even the first 1.5 hours is complete garbage?

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
We made it to within 1 goal of a cup win without Kane or an ineffective Kane and a worse roster.

Ceci is not much less than Broberg who may be a much better D and whose deal is up at the end of the year anyway.

If we have to move Kane you move Kane. Ceci I think is as good as gone with the Broberg offer sheet which I think the Oilers match.

Well maybe we don't lose by 1 goal if Kane isn't injured. I don't think they're going to match the Broberg offer so it's all pretty moot anyway.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I still can't wrap my head around Holloway thinking that this is a good thing for him.
He's rapidly getting buried in our depth chart. He probably can't crack the LW when everyone is healthy, with Nuge, Skinner, Kane, and Janmark ahead of him. If he slides to RW, he has a chance on the 4th line behind Hyman, Arvidsson, and Brown. Longer term there may be a role in the top 6 but Savoie is coming to eat his lunch, and I suspect the strategy of signing cheap veterans who want to play with McDrai is going to become a regular thing. It's really questionable whether there is an opportunity for him here.

In St. Louis, he's at worst a 3rd liner, and might get a chance to cut his teeth on the PK. He gets an NHL contract that will guarantee him some playing time, and a chance to prove himself on a shallower team.

I think he would have been stupid to turn this down.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
do you think we wait the full 7 days before making a decision or do we match/decline them right away?

IIRC, Canes matched the Aho offer right way like within a day or two

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They are both gone, either its in 7 days or in a year or two. Broberg i kind of understand but Holloway really shanked the team in the back.
Holloway did it for an extra million this year. He's potentially giving up a chance at playing with McDrai which will inflate his point totals and get him paid in the future. He's also throwing away his chance at winning a Cup early in his career.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
So his past GM record is thrown out the window? In that case, bring back Eakins!
No I wouldn’t throw his past record out, it’s pretty decent. It played a large part in why he was hired I assume. Anyway, we’re OT so back to regular programming for me.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Broberg isn't good enough for 4.6 AAV on a contender. Bye Felicia.

His appeal was being cheap and potentially over performing his contract. The 2nd and cap space likely gets us a better player at the deadline for the playoffs anyway.

You can stomach Holloway at 2.3 million AAV though.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Let Holloway and Broberg walk. You got Savoie and Juvie waiting in the wings. Move Ceci and the picks and get a REAL upgrade on the right side.

I also think people are sleeping on Stetcher. He is a better fit on the right side than Broberg and put up good numbers play RS top 4 in Arizona. Broberg on his right side isn’t very good and they can’t move Nurse.

Broberg isn't good enough for 4.6 AAV on a contender. Bye Felicia.

His appeal was being cheap and potentially over performing his contract. The 2nd and cap space likely gets us a better player at the deadline for the playoffs anyway.

You can stomach Holloway at 2.3 million AAV though.
Nailed it on Broberg

Last edited:
Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

OilfaninTO

Aug 1, 2020
If we take the compensation for both guys, we have to be the oldest team in the league by a long shot. Basically, we have a 2 year window, we have to win at least one cup or the McDavid era is a complete failure.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
do you think we wait the full 7 days before making a decision or do we match/decline them right away?

IIRC, Canes matched the Aho offer right way like within a day or two
Karma will decide so why bother yourself worrying about it?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
No I wouldn’t throw his past record out, it’s pretty decent. It played a large part in why he was hired I assume. Anyway, we’re OT so back to regular programming for me.
It is quite terrible, actually. On the locked on Oilers pod - the host looked at every trade. It’s bad. Trading players at rock bottom prices than acquiring them back at a premium has been a staple of Bowman’s. Recommend listening to it

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Holloway did it for an extra million this year. He's potentially giving up a chance at playing with McDrai which will inflate his point totals and get him paid in the future. He's also throwing away his chance at winning a Cup early in his career.
Yep. Kostin did the same thing the year before. Players don’t look at long term. Broberg would have replaced Ekholm in time, while learning from him now on a contending team. Broberg and Bouchard potential number one pairing. Now Broberg joins an aging blues defence on a bubble team.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It is quite terrible, actually. On the locked on Oilers pod - the host looked at every trade. It’s bad. Trading players at rock bottom prices than acquiring them back at a premium has been a staple of Bowman’s. Recommend listening to it
Ok. Thanks for the suggestion.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Some math on the situation. If Puckpedia is right, this is where we are at.

Puckpedia has the Oilers at being 7,225,541 over the salary cap if we match both offer sheets. So we have to do some things, as we all know. The first, and most minor one, could be to send Josh Brown to Bakersfield. That brings us down to 6,225,541. Not enough to really mean much, I just want Brown in the AHL.

Next, if the Kane rumours are true and he has to go on LTIR, that puts us at only 1,100,541 over the salary cap - until Kane is healthy and needs to come off the cap, at which time, we will have to make some more room. So if Kane is for sure going on LTIR, we can match either of the offer sheets and be under, but not both.

The only other option to send down and get under the cap would be Correy Perry at 1,150,000. However, that would leave us with only 12 forwards and 7 defensemen, so we would not have anyone able to swap into the lineup if one of our forwards is banged up or struggling. Not ideal.

The other option, of course, is trade. The only trade parts that could make sense, are the ones everyone is already talking about - Ceci, Kulak, or Evander Kane himself, although I don't expect Kane will waive his NMC, nor will teams want to take a chance on him if he is having major surgeries.

So if we want to match both, we need to trade Ceci or Kulak. We're not in a strong position to negotiate right now, and have only half of the league to negotiate with. 16 teams have the cap space to take either of those guys, and St. Louis won't be doing us any favours. Neither will Calgary, so that makes it 14 teams by my count. Of those teams, how many would even consider Ceci or Kulak an upgrade? We're probably looking at 5 or so teams that might make sense from a needs and salary cap perspective on Ceci. There may be more with Kulak, as he doesn't have the warts that Ceci does, but even with him, the pool is limited.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You enjoyed the fact that a teenage Kyle Ren overpowered Master Luke Skywalker.

I stopped taking Star Wars seriously since and I was a die hard fan.
That's because you aren't woke, you need an education so you'll love the progressive Star Wars more than the original trilogy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad