Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Too many vets and good players on the team to allow the same thing to reoccur next season.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Perhaps next time we can sign these players and not expose them to offer sheets to begin with.
If your decision, Broberg/ Holloway or Henrique/Skinner. Or a combination, which do you pick. JJ went with the later and gambled on the other.
Throw Perry in there also

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It’s pretty easy to play in the top six in Edmonton. You just have to earn it. And when you do you get to play with some of the best players ever. That’s not happening in st Lewis. Basically both players cashed in while the going was good.
it no longer is the case. It used to be the case. The Oilers have filled the shelves with vet topsix players. Addition of Hyman, Kane, now Henrique, Arvidsson, Skinner. How many topsix openings you think there are?

This isn't the days of McDrai and Nuge and nothing but open slots now. The Oilers have messaged to their young forward prospects that bottomsix play will be their bread and butter and nothing much will change. Indeed we've seen this in recent seasons. Other players just get rotated in now and again to play primarily with Drai. Once in awhile.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This I agree with, lots of copium IMO. I think the majority of the fanbase was excited about what the two were bringing in the playoffs and going forward and the narrative did a 180 from some after the OS were signed. In fairness, I think part of them changing tune is the value of having them as CHEAP internal solutions for the next few years as opposed to the potential anchor of them at $7m devaluing them and clogging cap space but, yeah, definitely a little copium being drank for sure.

I think this is the part that sucks the most for me. I always feel a bit more excitement when a young player scores or makes a great play. Seeing Holloway, Broberg, Puljujarvi etc contribute feels good.

I think that is what I will miss most about Holloway and Broberg leaving.

That being said, I still don’t think I would match either contract.

Reactions: CupofOil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Agents want the money now not potentially later cause they may not be agents later. Players at the end of the day SHOULD be looking at career earnings not singular contracts.
In Brobergs case, I think this was probably the right move cause if he becomes a top 4 defender his next contract will be big and this is a boost, and if he doesn't this is his career earnings.

In Holloways case I don't think he actually cracks the top 6 either and if he does I don't think he will put up a ton of points. So in the long run I think this hurts his career earnings. Here, he wouldn't be in the top 6 this year but going forward as long as he develops he absolutely would and he will produce more therefore demanding a larger contract with McDrai than he would in St Louis. His agent convinced him to take the money now to the potential detriment of his career earnings.
Its perhaps odd that Holloway chose the STL offersheet. From what I understand Broberg had 3 teams possibly in the offersheet mix and Holloway had a couple. I don't know that STL is the right place to land, I sure wouldn't want to be there but thats a different topic.

But STL just a yr ago, and it was Armstrong, promised Kostin the same things and then delivered nothing at all of the sort. Kostin saw reduced minutes, getting scratched, not getting ANY topsix action at all despite Armstrong saying Kostin would get a much bigger role in STL.

Doug Armstrong is a f***er, an ahole, and sure not a person I would tend to believe anytime soon. its quite plausible that the Blues don't see the full value in the young players they've obtained and are just in the habit of rearranging deckchairs.

I have no idea how Broberg or Holloway haven't even seemingly considered the blatant misuse and abuse of Kostin in STL. A Kostin that was free'd in SJ. Both players have something to give but the Blues have been a chaotic team and roster. Its a roster as well that in recent years has been very divisive.

Reactions: lubitschtouch

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Contenders can't pay players ion Broberg's situation anywhere close to that number. Even matching it after the Ceci deal would have meant that Kane had to be on LTIR for the duration or you would have to move another significant piece.

Again even at $1.3M and $1.8M the Oilers with Ceci gone the Oilers would have had no cap flexibility. This would have meant putting pretty much all your eggs in these two taking a big step forward this year. In the case of a defenseman, it is very rare for a guy with 100 NHL games to take that step.
Oilers perspective it's about pro-active to manage your prime young assets especially as we learn more about the alleged relationship with Broberg. We were talking about a hypothetical $1.3M and $1.8M offer and decision making following that. I'd have viewed that as reasonable risk with the roster scenario I described, Broberg at 3LD and veteran Kulak moved to 2RD with likelihood he's a trade casualty at deadline.

Said my first reaction to the offer sheet was Broberg gone, Holloway was retained and that the value of their cheap contracts was gone. Why I've said as above with information we know now that the team had, a more aggressive early approach with the players vs. passivity would have enabled control over the situation. Trade the player(s) and manage a return like successfully done with McLeod with cap shaved and weak prospect pool enhanced. St. Louis would have been a natural starting point given their alleged significant trade deadline discussion.

Passivity has wrought both lost young NHL talent and a weakened NHL blueline in which they still traded out a 25 point 20 minute defensive d-man and penalty veteran right shot d. Late in free agency some viable options have been lost and the Oilers defense as constructed is worse than last year. Now they are chasing a volatile market at unknown cost and chemistry/fit/abilities of replacement options.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This I agree with, lots of copium IMO. I think the majority of the fanbase was excited about what the two were bringing in the playoffs and going forward and the narrative did a 180 from some after the OS were signed. In fairness, I think part of them changing tune is the value of having them as CHEAP internal solutions for the next few years as opposed to the potential anchor of them at $7m devaluing them and clogging cap space but, yeah, definitely a little copium being drank for sure.
This occurs every offseason here. Departing players are nothing. Incoming are great. Last offseason we were losing players like Bjugstad, Kostin, this year were losing more.

I don't see that there will be a lot of energy on the team at seasons start. Worry about that again. What kind of energy players do we even have left that bring that consistently here? Man we've cratered our bottomsix particularly.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Its perhaps odd that Holloway chose the STL offersheet. From what I understand Broberg had 3 teams possibly in the offersheet mix and Holloway had a couple. I don't know that STL is the right place to land, I sure wouldn't want to be there but thats a different topic.

But STL just a yr ago, and it was Armstrong, promised Kostin the same things and then delivered nothing at all of the sort. Kostin saw reduced minutes, getting scratched, not getting ANY topsix action at all despite Armstrong saying Kostin would get a much bigger role in STL.

Doug Armstrong is a f***er, an ahole, and sure not a person I would tend to believe anytime soon. its quite plausible that the Blues don't see the full value in the young players they've obtained and are just in the habit of rearranging deckchairs.

I have no idea how Broberg or Holloway haven't even seemingly considered the blatant misuse and abuse of Kostin in STL. A Kostin that was free'd in SJ. Both players have something to give but the Blues have been a chaotic team and roster. Its a roster as well that in recent years has been very divisive.
Holloway got sold by St. Louis having 12 x 1st rounder prospects haha

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The league might not be too happy about forcing players to sign a contract at gun point.
Even putting the obvious joke aside, the league clearly doesn't give a shit about anything. Negotiations are a thing, you know. Or at least I assume they are with some of the contracts we hand out.

This occurs every offseason here. Departing players are nothing. Incoming are great. Last offseason we were losing players like Bjugstad, Kostin, this year were losing more.

I don't see that there will be a lot of energy on the team at seasons start. Worry about that again. What kind of energy players do we even have left that bring that consistently here? Man we've cratered our bottomsix particularly.
This attitude bothers me. Everything about the Oilers is all orgies and rainbows and everything going out is trash.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Yes I was a fan of Holloway as well but the fact he saw what was going on here and chose to f*** us over less than 1 million while being a rookie player, seeing guys like RNH taking cuts to make another run -- opting to go to a lottery team for a small pay raise is absurd.

You can bet the management and players all said f*** off kid.

Broberg being a totally different scenario who was routinely screwed over here and chose to take an extra 7 million dollars with St. Louis. Don't blame him one bit.

Holloway f***ed us for what's going to be pennies on the dollar right at the start of his career.
Nugent hopkins is in a different situation. He had already made like over 50 million in his career when he signed his extension. Its a lot easier to take a discount when your already insanly rich ha ing made over 50 million than when you havent struck gold yet and havent made that kind of money yet and you dont k ow if you ever will get that bag again. Holloway hasnt made that much yet in his career and could get a career ending injury tomorrow or just fizzle out at nhl level so gwtting that earky wealth is still important.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Holloway got sold by St. Louis having 12 x 1st rounder prospects haha
Yeah, but thats its own competition as well. ST Louis is really a strange place to land. Especially after the Kostin arc demonstrated just that. Blues will play their favorites and the reasons for who gets toi and who gets topsix there are often random. Blues are very much a "we just like these players more" type org. But in reality its been an org where roster changes are huge and constant. Chaos.

Blues also rid themselves of a lot of vets that saw through the ruse and that realized Armstrong was running a shitshow with no direction.

Reactions: Canovin

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Ekholm will be good until he's 40 and decides to retire. People forget his biggest strength is actually his IQ. That's plenty of time for the Oilers to find a top 4 LD thru free agency
I look at mark giordano as a comparable for ekholm who won the Norris at 33? Steady decline the next few years and now at 40 he’s waaay past expired

Reactions: Canovin

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Broberg's easier and faster path to the NHL was removed when the Oilers acquired Ekholm, which we all agree was a great acquisition. One could argue that then onus was on management to move Kulak to create a spot during the 2023-24 season, but Broberg's underwhelming camp, the early season tail spin and eventual recovery probably had management wanting run with a veteran in Kulak down the stretch and through the playoffs.

While Broberg played in Bakersfield all season, his agent used the situation to get him ready to pursue opportunities outside the Oilers, so I imagine Broberg re-signing was unlikely. He received the offer sheet he wanted and now he's a Blues player.

Last edited:

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Broberg's easier and faster path to the NHL was removed when the Oilers acquired Ekholm, which we all agree was a great acquisition. One could argue that then onus was on management to move Kulak to create a spot during the 2023-24 season, but the early season tail spin and eventual recovery probably had management wanting run with a veteran in Kulak down the stretch and through the playoffs.

While Broberg played in Bakersfield all season, his agent used the situation to get him ready to pursue opportunities outside the Oilers, so I imagine Broberg re-signing was unlikely. He received the offer sheet he wanted and now he's a Blues player.
Broberg got a few games early last season and played poorly.

He didn't show anything at the NHL level until the playoffs. By the time he played, his competition was banged up and tired. He was well rested and healthy.

EDIT - the issue is that he showed enough that many think he has figured it out and will start to find his way and potentially excel. Maybe he continues to improve, maybe he doesnt. That is the gamble. There are times last season when a second round pick as compensation would have been reasonable for this player.

Remember that Broberg was getting hammered in games consistently early last year. Maybe he turns into a solid top 4. Maybe not. Maybe he gets cranked this season and is injured again.

His salary is too high to run this gamble (given the lack of capspace).

Management blew it with negotiations. Having said that, methinks the jury is still out on what type of player he becomes. Last I checked, he was still in bust territory with Turcotte and Soderstrom from that 2019 draft.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Even putting the obvious joke aside, the league clearly doesn't give a shit about anything. Negotiations are a thing, you know. Or at least I assume they are with some of the contracts we hand out.

Both players refused to talk contract during the season and then wanted to wait for offersheets in the offseason.

You can't negotiate with someone that isn't negotiating.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, but thats its own competition as well. ST Louis is really a strange place to land. Especially after the Kostin arc demonstrated just that. Blues will play their favorites and the reasons for who gets toi and who gets topsix there are often random. Blues are very much a "we just like these players more" type org. But in reality its been an org where roster changes are huge and constant. Chaos.

Blues also rid themselves of a lot of vets that saw through the ruse and that realized Armstrong was running a shitshow with no direction.
I can understand if Holloway went for money and opportunity in Chicago or San Jose. St. Louis wasn't the best landing spot for him. He got sold on money and thought we were matching.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Ya don't think they will soon have cap issues?
Holloway may be fighting for another contract in 2 years
The Blues high dollar vet contracts (Saad, Faulk, Schenn, etc.) will be expiring at the same time they need to start paying their best young players.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

Reactions: Memento

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
The Blues high dollar vet contracts (Saad, Faulk, Schenn, etc.) will be expiring at the same time they need to start paying their best young players.

12 first rounders all wanting to get paid. I will come to your site and laugh on a few years

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
But they could have moved Ceci after the OS issue had been resolved with them not matching but before the season started. If the Oilers were no longer viewed as being in a desperate spot with limited time to create cap so they could match then likely the value on Ceci would of been better and they might of been able to get a pick for Ceci instead of giving one up. Of course the Oilers likely see Emberson as being apart of the value as well so it’s not a big chasm and it did allow them to pull another draft pick and prospect out of stl. Im splitting hairs at this point though.

If I am guessing, I think Bowman really played them (STL). By trading Ceci and opening up space he went from cap strapped even with Kane LTIR to having room to match. STL, if you really want Broberg, its gonna cost you more than just the 2nd, otherwise we will match. This seemed to be a big game of chicken, and Bowman won.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

It's over, all dozen of you Blues posters can talk among yourselves again on HF Blues. Don't need you chiming in here with "facts" looking for attention.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

All of that can change in a hurry when the Oilers decides to an offersheets to Snuggerud and Dvorsky at big $$

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Both players refused to talk contract during the season and then wanted to wait for offersheets in the offseason.

You can't negotiate with someone that isn't negotiating.
Even according to Holloway availability this isn't the case. Holloway even expressing some dismay that there was little to no contact from Oilers for an extended time and none at all this week or preceding time. Really one senses from what he says Holloway was hanging by the phone expecting something and no word was coming.

It isn't hard to believe that very little contact between team and player was occurring because Holloway even said it.

How do you negotiate with a team not even interested or invested enough to be keeping in contact?

The Oilers conveyed no interest in Holloway being topsix here in future (where he belongs based on his pedigree and recent play) and arguably no interest at all. The Oilers putting in an initial lowball offer just to say they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad