Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If Friedman says it’s done, then it’s a done deal. He reports on things 32 minutes after every other insider has confirmed it to be happening.
He didn't though. He just said he believes we will...he gave an opinion.
iu

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The issue with keeping Holloway now is that we NEED to move Ceci unless Kane is injured the full season and we have no one internally to fill that gap. Neither Brown, Stetcher or Wanner can fill that gap. Nor really can any of the UFAs left.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Just what I asumed in a post a couple of days ago, Broberg would prefer Blue. I can't blame after they way we handled him.

Given the choice between:

8m+ and playing for a team who wants you and will put you natural side
2m+ and playing for a team whosd been jerking you around for years and put you on your off side.

Think the choice is easy for Bro. Bad management by the Oilers. Real bad.

I love this narrative that we jerked Broberg around. He was incredibly soft and timid in any chance he was given and he never looked ready until this playoff run.

I have no problem saying goodbye to Broberg. If he thinks he should be handed a spot on this team he can happily f*** off to St Louis.

Demanded a trade, signed an offer sheet and has never really said anything positive about the team or city so adios. Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out the door.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So if Kane can’t be completely out for the season and we move Ceci we have 600k in cap space with the following d core

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stecher
Kulak - Brown

I like Stecher more than most but that’s a first round exit D core, that’s a might not even make the first round score. If Kane is on LTIR for the season it’s a bit of a different story but it’s still not ideal.
We have needed an upgrade on Ceci for years and if Broberg is gone the team absolutely needs to look elsewhere cause no one internally is close. I don’t think the answer was Broberg either but still.

Reactions: Faelko

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Waiving is not circumvention, but if there is first a weasel trade with SJ followed by the player being waived that will very likely be seen as circumvention.
I posted a version of this earlier, but why can the Oilers negotiate with St Louis in an attempt to squeeze more assets out of them in exchange for the Oilers to not match the offer sheet, but a negotiation with SJ would be a "weasel trade" ?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Them matching on Holloway was a given IMO. He's poised to be a middle six winger this year likely starting in the third line with Foegele gone and Kane out for a significant amount of time.

He has the speed and physical game that a lot of our forwards simply don't possess.
I agree with you and I think we can manage that cap and get more value out of him down the road whether here or as a trade chip.

But I keep fighting this nagging feeling that he could falter under the pressure. When you force your team to pay you twice what your worth, it comes with expectation that you’re gonna live up to that number, just being fast and physical isn’t enough, it’s gotta be on the scoreboard as well. And I know everyone says the guys in the room wouldn’t be mad about it, I think that’s bullshit. They could probably understand and they accept it and be professionals and good team players abut it, but they’d still feel differently about these guys. What they did was a bit of a selfish betrayal and it puts a small dent in the team’s chances. I’m sure Holloway is going to have a lot on his mind to start this year, it’s not going to be easy to weather the storm, the media/fans all while you’re still trying to contribute and establish yourself.

He’s never really carved out a defined role or place for himself which also worries me, they’ve brought in quite a few new wingers, if he doesn’t show well he could realistically find himself on the 4th line. Then I look at a wildcard like Savoie, I could see him eating Holloways lunch in camp and forcing his way into the lineup to start the year. I think he’s going to be really motivated and might surprise. Lavoie too is lurking for a spot, another big, strong scoring winger.

I just get that feeling like it would be so Oilers for them to match Holloway only to see him struggle while Savoie comes in and outperforms him and next off season we’re talking about if we should just dump him for cap space.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
So if Kane can’t be completely out for the season and we move Ceci we have 600k in cap space with the following d core

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stecher
Kulak - Brown

I like Stecher more than most but that’s a first round exit D core, that’s a might not even make the first round score. If Kane is on LTIR for the season it’s a bit of a different story but it’s still not ideal.
We have needed an upgrade on Ceci for years and if Broberg is gone the team absolutely needs to look elsewhere cause no one internally is close. I don’t think the answer was Broberg either but still.
Don't have to move Ceci right now if we let Broberg walk and Kane goes on IR.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The moment Holloway signed that offer sheet, he doesn’t have a place on the team. He participated in handcuffing the Oilers. For double the price he can try and get St.Louis into the playoffs if they’re lucky. He doesn’t deserve a chance at the cup with the Oilers.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The moment Holloway signed that offer sheet, he doesn’t have a place on the team. He participated in handcuffing the Oilers. For double the price he can try and get St.Louis into the playoffs if they’re lucky. He doesn’t deserve a chance at the cup with the Oilers.
Again, why are we using spite in the decision making process?

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
You would turn down a offer that is double of what you initially got??

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Again, why are we using spite in the decision making process?
We can get someone like Alex Nylander for less than half the price. And also when everyone goes right and one or two guys go left, they made their decision. The precedent has been set, you either take a discount or you can leave.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stecher
Kulak - Brown

Lmao first round exit d core. Thats 4/6 the same blue liners who almost won the cup with two of the most inconsistent of the bunch replaced with marginal downgrades, if they’re downgrades at all, a guy like Kemp could be in the frame as well.

Also, I must of missed the part where the Oilers aren’t allowed to make trades this season so they have to go into playoffs with the same blue line they started the season with. Too bad because accruing off 600k would give them quite a bit of cap space to play with at the deadline. If they wanted to could even not match Holloway, keep Ceci and have essentially the same D core that they almost won the cup with and still be accruing cap to upgrade.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We can get someone like Alex Nylander for less than half the price. And also when everyone goes right and one or two guys go left, they made their decision. The precedent has been set, you either take a discount or you can leave.
You didn’t answer the question.

Successful decision making removes emotion and looks at things empirically.

This sentence makes no difference on what the club should do.

If every player from here on in doesn’t take a discount, your answer is to jettison them? Good luck with that mindset. You look at the value of the player and the cost in the overall picture (whether it’s your contract offer or others) and what you can get on the market if you move away to make that decision

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You didn’t answer the question.

Successful decision making removes emotion and looks at things empirically.

This sentence makes no difference on what the club should do.

If every player from here on in doesn’t take a discount, your answer is to jettison them? Good luck with that mindset. You look at the value of the player and the cost in the overall picture (whether it’s your contract offer or others) and what you can get on the market if you move away to make that decision
Call it spite if you will but is Holloway is even worth that contract? I find it hard to believe he is even worth it on a bottom feeder. St. Louis only offer him that to make things harder for the Oilers and we should expect to take him back with open arms? If we match Holloway and let Broberg walk, that’s exactly what St.Louis drew up

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Call it spite if you will but is Holloway is even worth that contract? I find it hard to believe he is even worth it on a bottom feeder. St. Louis only offer him that to make things harder for the Oilers and we should expect to take him back with open arms? If we match Holloway and let Broberg, that’s exactly what St.Louis drew up
Ah, you’re right. Punt both those f***ers. We don’t need guys like them.

Am I doing it right?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lmao first round exit d core. Thats 4/6 the same blue liners who almost won the cup with two of the most inconsistent of the bunch replaced with marginal downgrades, if they’re downgrades at all, a guy like Kemp could be in the frame as well.

Also, I must of missed the part where the Oilers aren’t allowed to make trades this season so they have to go into playoffs with the same blue line they started the season with. Too bad because accruing off 600k would give them quite a bit of cap space to play with at the deadline. If they wanted to could even not match Holloway, keep Ceci and have essentially the same D core that they almost won the cup with and still be accruing cap to upgrade.
Except we wouldn’t. To keep Holloway we are over cap without Kane on LTIR or moving Ceci. You don’t accrue cap if you are over cap with LTIR. My point was moving Ceci to keep Holloway is a bad idea. Our forwards would be fine without him, our defence would be shaky losing all of Ceci, Broberg and Desharnais.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chet Manley

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The "match and waive for SJ" thing sounded like some armchair GM bs so I asked Puckpedia and they say it can be done. Kind of interesting.

View attachment 901515

This is what I thought too because that would open up a whole bunch of weird issues. Like what if by Christmas the player is playing like crap and both he and the team agree a stint in the AHL would be everyone some good ... you wouldn't be allowed to send the player down? That just didn't sound like it could be correct.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd do the waive thing and send Broberg to San Jose but only if they give us a 2nd round pick. Otherwise nah.

They get to basically get the player offer sheeted without the guilt/bad press of being a predatory team and actually come off as a good guy, so that works for them if they want to do it I guess.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree with you and I think we can manage that cap and get more value out of him down the road whether here or as a trade chip.

But I keep fighting this nagging feeling that he could falter under the pressure. When you force your team to pay you twice what your worth, it comes with expectation that you’re gonna live up to that number, just being fast and physical isn’t enough, it’s gotta be on the scoreboard as well. And I know everyone says the guys in the room wouldn’t be mad about it, I think that’s bullshit. They could probably understand and they accept it and be professionals and good team players abut it, but they’d still feel differently about these guys. What they did was a bit of a selfish betrayal and it puts a small dent in the team’s chances. I’m sure Holloway is going to have a lot on his mind to start this year, it’s not going to be easy to weather the storm, the media/fans all while you’re still trying to contribute and establish yourself.

He’s never really carved out a defined role or place for himself which also worries me, they’ve brought in quite a few new wingers, if he doesn’t show well he could realistically find himself on the 4th line. Then I look at a wildcard like Savoie, I could see him eating Holloways lunch in camp and forcing his way into the lineup to start the year. I think he’s going to be really motivated and might surprise. Lavoie too is lurking for a spot, another big, strong scoring winger.

I just get that feeling like it would be so Oilers for them to match Holloway only to see him struggle while Savoie comes in and outperforms him and next off season we’re talking about if we should just dump him for cap space.
They've already lived through this with Nurse's extension. The leadership group and players rallied around Nurse when he was universally ripped in the playoffs. McDavid and I believe Draisaitl have been said to deflect questions about Nurse's contract and taking the big money to the reality of management giving out the contract. Ultimately this was the shocking big money deal that followed McDavid taking slightly less dollars and Draisaitl embarking on immediately killing his fair market deal.

Ultimately the money's on the table because Oiler management left the door open. How Holloway and Broberg deal with signing on the dotted line to ensure their financial security comes with pressure to perform. But these are all players who have dealt with the challenge to train, practice and play well enough to do so at the apex level. Careers can be short and every player knows that and follows a similar journey. Doesn't mean some won't resent it. But like Connor reminds, it takes someone giving out those and all contracts. In this situation, Oilers management flubbed their way into a hyper inflationary quandary.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Except we wouldn’t. To keep Holloway we are over cap without Kane on LTIR or moving Ceci. You don’t accrue cap if you are over cap with LTIR.
Exactly. I was replying to your dumb post about the first round exit D core, if we’re going into the season with the D core you posted that doesn’t have Ceci that would mean they traded Ceci, right? So if they traded Ceci and designated Perry for a cheaper forward they could accrue cap space with a 22 man roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad