Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lol, they're professional athletes in their late 20s and early thirties. They aren't physically tired, it's a matter of intensity. Big difference between game 7 of the finals and game 1 of the regular season.
Its the oldest team in the league that had the least offseason rest. Thats a bad combination. The team gutted it out last season having to be pretty excellent in their last 100 games to get as far as they did but guess how much that probably took out of them? Forwards in NHL peak from age 24-27. We don't even have any forwards that young. Oh wait, Bust Podkolzin.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I thought it was kinda weird too, considering it was Stauffer -- and I for sure was leery of J. Skinner's signing. He made it clear he was not impressed though so he must have heard something while in the broadcast tonight.
What was said? Whatever you quoted I can't see lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I mean, McLeod, Foegele and Holloway are not very good hockey players. How many combined goals did they score last season? Feels like 20 or something, at best.
You need pace players in the lineup. 38 goals and Holloway only played 38 games.

How many goals did old dead tired Ryan, Janmark, and Perry and Brown get? All retained.

Sure the latter being vets they gnawed their way into the SC final. Vets tend to do that. But you need youth energy in the lineup, and even a kidline is helpful, and I was saying that all offseason. I wanted Savoie, Lavoie, Philps to be in lineup.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Slow all night. Pace of play and decision making. Was easy to brush off in pre-season games but the gap was noticeable tonight in real games. Jets third line outworked and out skilled a largely passive finesse opponent tonight. Jets found acres of soft ice within the compete home plate high scoring areas and Oilers soft defence obliged aided and abetted by poor goaltending.

Viewing a mashup of Arizona Coyotes alumnus as your defensive solution was always going to be a huge leap of faith. This d group is too soft within the critical compete areas of ice where the vast majority of goals are scored. One game. But this is an obvious problem position area adding poor PK results with Kulak notably soft and out of position.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It’s almost like they’re a young team with no expectations so they were going all out in the pre season.

The oilers used to do that every year during the decade of darkness.

Most top teams use preseason exactly like the oilers did.

I’m thinking that knowing the team was pre-picked with many key changes that they should have spent 3-4 games building chemistry and intensity. Instead they really achieved nothing and it showed tonight. It just pisses me off as it’s a common occurrence with this team.

Need to get that switch flipped quick for this weekend!

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Fortunately it's a year only, and maybe less if they pawn him off... somewhere else. But tonight everyone was terrible, zero excuses and rationalizing this one away.
I was waiting to see a 2nd intermission clip of Connor McDavid screaming at the team. Oh wait, McD, Hyman, Nuge, Drai were all crap too. Looked like Drunksaitl in the 3rd period. Concern with both is they haven't looked good to this point preseason or now.

The forecheck is non existent with this roster. Dumping puck in just won't hunt with this lineup. Jets were getting easy outs all day and even f***ed up a number of times despite them not even being sharp in a game 1.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Skinner isn't my favorite name X2. The forward version is disengaged, lol watch him on the 4th goal. Not even an attempt at gap control. This is his career in one play. Own zone play? f*** that.

The other Skinner with the ignominy of a 10.0 GAA. lolol. Was it me or did 3 shots in a row pump by him?
If it wasn't 3 straight it was close. Felt like the Jets had 3 goals on their first 3 or 4 shots in the 2nd, which took them like 10 minutes to get.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
24 goals and 46 points.

He wasn’t bought out because he was bad, he was bought out because he was overpaid.

If he was making 5-6m, he’s not getting bought out.
What a hill to climb defending Jeff Useless f***ing Skinner. The guy hasn't shown up. He'll dress up as a ghost for Halloween. Why not? f***er is getting paid 12M and laughing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This team has a history of playing like this and then getting it together so this isn't really anything new I've seen this over and over again. They carried the play fine, and as usual played like everything would come easy to them without needing to bear down and play with intensity. This game wasn't a display of fatigue or lack of ability. It was a display of lack of detail, lack of effort, and lack of focus. Seen this 100 times in the McDavid era Oilers. They'll get it together.

What I will say though on a lighter note is Draisaitl getting tripped by the Rogers Place ice on a clean look in the slot followed by him taking a tripping penalty from his ass was the comedic relief that summed up the night. On to the next one. Over analyzing or dwelling on this one is not worth your time, and if you're bothering to do that you're just a miserable jaded fan. Just my two cents.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Matches the eye test.

Emberson is a 30 game rookie, what’s Nurse’s excuse?

Maybe don't put a 30 game rookie in matchup against the Jets captain?

Tbh, Bear would be the perfect addition. Of course it would be tough for him to exonerate feelings towards some our fans that displayed intolerant behavior towards him. But he was quality during his short stint here.

• Haha

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe don't put a 30 game rookie in matchup against the Jets captain?

Tbh, Bear would be the perfect addition. Of course it would be tough for him to exonerate feelings towards some our fans that displayed intolerant behavior towards him. But he was quality during his short stint here.
Bear isn’t even remotely close to that player anymore. Covid fricked him good.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
You need pace players in the lineup. 38 goals and Holloway only played 38 games.

How many goals did old dead tired Ryan, Janmark, and Perry and Brown get? All retained.

Sure the latter being vets they gnawed their way into the SC final. Vets tend to do that. But you need youth energy in the lineup, and even a kidline is helpful, and I was saying that all offseason. I wanted Savoie, Lavoie, Philps to be in lineup.

Well, the thing is, those bolded players are making around league minimum, whereas McLeod, Holloway, and Foegele aren't even close to that.

It would be great if those guys could have been retained for league minimum, but that's magical Christmas-land stuff so it's not really worth the comparison.

I don't see Savoie getting in unless he absolutely obliterates the AHL (nice start for him but will need to continue that). Philp and Lavoie should take two of those spots, I agree.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This team has a history of playing like this and then getting it together so this isn't really anything new I've seen this over and over again. They carried the play fine, and as usual played like everything would come easy to them without needing to bear down and play with intensity. This game wasn't a display of fatigue or lack of ability. It was a display of lack of detail, lack of effort, and lack of focus. Seen this 100 times in the McDavid era Oilers. They'll get it together.

What I will say though on a lighter note is Draisaitl getting tripped by the Rogers Place ice on a clean look in the slot followed by him taking a tripping penalty from his ass was the comedic relief that summed up the night. On to the next one. Over analyzing or dwelling on this one is not worth your time, and if you're bothering to do that you're just a miserable jaded fan. Just my two cents.
But of note tonight we were playing another of the oldest teams in the league. Watch out how slow we look when we play one of the younger speedier teams. Jets were pretty awful tonight, and their top lines were, and they weren't even sharp in getting out of zone, and didn't even have to be. It was a poorly played game, just that the Oilers were abysmal. The shot clock won't show that but the Jets were granted open areas around net and scoring areas so many times in this one. I mean one minute into the season we give up a breakaway.

5-0 in the third period and he's trying to pump up the crowd and make something happen. heres a memo. Take the mascot out of there in a game thats a slaughter. It almost annoyed me. Whats he jumping up and down celebrating...;)

At least there wasn't a wave. That would've completed the inanity.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
Score flattered the Oil. When is Nurse going to make a smart defensive play? Second goal he’s way over getting beat along the boards with a ton of open ice for the Jets.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
But of note tonight we were playing another of the oldest teams in the league. Watch out how slow we look when we play one of the younger speedier teams. Jets were pretty awful tonight, and their top lines were, and they weren't even sharp in getting out of zone, and didn't even have to be. It was a poorly played game, just that the Oilers were abysmal. The shot clock won't show that but the Jets were granted open areas around net and scoring areas so many times in this one. I mean one minute into the season we give up a breakaway.

5-0 in the third period and he's trying to pump up the crowd and make something happen. heres a memo. Take the mascot out of there in a game thats a slaughter. It almost annoyed me. Whats he jumping up and down celebrating...;)

At least there wasn't a wave. That would've completed the inanity.
Yeah there were some defensive miscues and some bad goaltending, and worst of all they flubbed or fanned on about 50 passes or shots that could have led to offence. You're acting like you haven't watched this team for the past 10 years. They have stretches like this every year and it was even worse in the 8-1 opener last year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Honestly fans like you deserve to never see this team win a championship. What are you a child?
meh. Making a habit of season opener and home games like this is pretty unsettling. It is a pro league. Show a little bit for the home crowd. These opening night games are very expensive. Around 200minimum to get in I was seeing. It was an embarrassing performance and hardly anybody on the team was ready or showed up. Is what it is and its pro sports. Any other sport fans would be carving a club for performances like this. Very clear the Oilers are in that anticlimactic zone after the high of a SC final. its hard to gauge the right intensity to dial up. On a lot of nights they might now have it this season. They better not dig a hole this season. Don't think they will but would be harder to claw back.

Yeah there were some defensive miscues and some bad goaltending, and worst of all they flubbed or fanned on about 50 passes or shots that could have led to offence. You're acting like you haven't watched this team for the past 10 years. They have stretches like this every year and it was even worse in the 8-1 opener last year.
Jets called off the dogs. Last season it was 5-1 after two periods. This time it was 5-0. Jets weren't even trying to score on the PP's. Playing strictly prevent and dump it out in the third, scored a goal anyway...

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Score flattered the Oil. When is Nurse going to make a smart defensive play? Second goal he’s way over getting beat along the boards with a ton of open ice for the Jets.

It’s at the point where I don’t know what you even do with him. His game has devolved to the point where I’m not sure raw rookie Nurse was any worse than this. Possibly even better, because at least that version of him played with a hint of passion. Now? He just floats around the ice puck watching and reaching rather than actually engage the attacker. His fundamentals are as bad as his 10 bell f*** ups.

Reactions: Cloned

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad