Post-Game Talk: Oilers dig a self-inflicted grave

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Zero reason to play McDavid 21 minutes tonight. Way too many shifts with the game over. These are the little things that add up and end up screwing us down the road.
Well how does he pump up the stats?

Why did they play him and Drai together for more than one or two shifts? Switch Skinner and Nuge but keep lines together for two full games.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Skinner isn't my favorite name X2. The forward version is disengaged, lol watch him on the 4th goal. Not even an attempt at gap control. This is his career in one play. Own zone play? f*** that.

The other Skinner with the ignominy of a 10.0 GAA. lolol. Was it me or did 3 shots in a row pump by him?
The risk with Skinner is he is a guy who low compete, high offense and next to zero defence. Now he is playing on a team with high expectations and he can’t just float anymore.
He got bought out for a reason.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
All the new guys sans Arvidsson looked pretty rough

Will take these guys some time to gel, just can’t get in as big of a hole as last year

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Refreshingly, I’m not surprised. I expected this. At this point you have to be an idiot to expect the Oilers to take anything other than a ho hum entitled mindset into a new season.

First line was a joke across the board. Nuge was a disaster, Hyman sucked, and McDavid flatly refused to shoot the puck, and set that tone early throwing a chance away early off the rush. This can’t happen again this year with him. Shoot for f*** sakes.

Second, third and fourth line were more or less ok by this games terrible standard.

Every single defenseman in the lineup was a joke tonight. I’m certain the narrative will be that it’s all Dermott and Emberson’s fault, but Darnell Nurse was a f***ing joke tonight. Pinches, does nothing, creates a two on one, goal. Puck rims around the wall, and rather than simply cut it off, he lets it rip by while nicely nestling up to a zero danger Jets player. Goal. This idiot should be playing no more than about 14 minutes a night afaints easy matchups until he proves he can play at this level again. Hopefully the media doesn’t wait until the conference final to call him out again so that he might wake up for a week or two and play with some f***ing pride.

Skinner is a slug. Get your fat ass off the goal line and challenge the shooter for f*** sakes.

Can’t wait until January 1 when this team decides their season starts. Until then it’s going to be a ridiculous roller coaster for no reason other than once again this group of clowns can’t find any way whatsoever to bring the minimal acceptable level of compete and focus to start a season. I swear to god if these jackasses shrug this off again….

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So the seasons over then? Take our puck and go home?
Nobody said that. But the recipe of a tired team that had little time off and that is the oldest team in the league is no recipe you want to land on. This was predictable. Its very hard in WC to come back from SC final seasons. Every team struggles with it. Particularly clubs that have holes in the lineup. Perry and Ryan particularly still being in the lineup disgusts me and I was saying that all offseason. How are they still here? On what basis? If these two were any slower they would be going backwards.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The risk with Skinner is he is a guy who low compete, high offense and next to zero defence. Now he is playing on a team with high expectations and he can’t just float anymore.
My concern is that this version of the team has too many vulnerabilities: many old players, many undersized players, many defensively suspect players, many marginal NHLers.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He got bought out because he was getting 9m.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah. Imagine thinking this guy was some sort of prize. For a coach you hate players like this. What a ghost he's been. At least RV will look busy while cashing nothing. This lineup is seriously flawed. What a weird and strange offseason. Lets lose youth, pace players for nothing and fill the lineup with the oldest team in league.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Wait, people are actually serious about Ceci, the worst D man on the team the last two seasons?

Uh...okay.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Nobody said that. But the recipe of a tired team that had little time off and that is the oldest team in the league is no recipe you want to land on. This was predictable. Its very hard in WC to come back from SC final seasons. Every team struggles with it. Particularly clubs that have holes in the lineup. Perry and Ryan particularly still being in the lineup disgusts me and I was saying that all offseason. How are they still here? On what basis? If these two were any slower they would be going backwards.
Lol, they're professional athletes in their late 20s and early thirties. They aren't physically tired, it's a matter of intensity. Big difference between game 7 of the finals and game 1 of the regular season.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Looks like the Flames used the preseason to actually prepare for the regular season unlike the Oilers who can’t seem to figure out what preseason is for.
It’s almost like they’re a young team with no expectations so they were going all out in the pre season.

The oilers used to do that every year during the decade of darkness.

Most top teams use preseason exactly like the oilers did.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
My concern is that this version of the team has too many vulnerabilities: many old players, many undersized players, many defensively suspect players, many marginal NHLers.
This team has the least grit of possibly any club in the league. Old, slow, no claws or fangs. Had a bad feeling about this game. About this season. Oilers can probably man up enough to make playoffs but the SC hangover is always really really hard. Worse with an old tired club.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah. Jeff Skinner as a hockey player, terrible add. RV a shell of his former self. These are our added forwards, we lost tons, we lost all the youth in our lineup, and we have this old tired team left. This is not a proper roster and never was. Not basing it on this game it was a known problem.

I mean, McLeod, Foegele and Holloway are not very good hockey players. How many combined goals did they score last season? Feels like 20 or something, at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad