Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Risk and reward
both have consequences positive or negative

I had suggested swapping 2 NYR 2nds for 2 EDM 3rds
Rs throw in Sykora + expiring Lindgren at half [or Jones if pref.]
for Bro + Hol

Absent a better offer, Oil rolled the dice by standing pat, then had to deal w/reality of OS
live + learn

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I actually think they're going to regret that Broberg contract, but we'll see.
I don't see how it could be all that regrettable. If Broberg hits his potential of low end top pair or good middle pair, that AAV is perfectly fair and "trading" a 2nd is an underpayment.

If he doesn't, the contract is still short that it doesn't hurt them too badly. As long as they don't stupidly double down like the Canes did with Kotkaniemi. With Krug going on LTIR (possibly retired), the Blues had cap space to burn and a hole in their top 4 D. At this point in the offseason it's not like there was anyone better available, the compensation was light, and the contract short enough that it won't hurt them.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
What I really don't understand is why the Oilers already wasted their 2025 1st to trade up to pick some kid 32nd overall at this past draft.

They should be dealing all their early picks every year for roster help to get their Cup.

Edmonton is so accustomed to losing after a decade plus of outright futility that they can’t help but fetishize their draft picks. It’s typically all they’ve had to look forward to.

Except, they don’t realize once you have McDavid and Draisaitl, those mid-late 1sts are far more valuable as real NHLers than they are drafted selections.

Like, don’t trade a top-10 selection. Fine.

But at the same time, don’t draft Kailer Yamamoto at 22. You can trade that for something better.

Don’t draft a left-shot left winger who had a good year in the AJHL at 14. Find a way to turn that into an NHLer who can take a regular shift in the top-6.

Xavier Bourgeault, a man who followed up a 34-point AHL rookie season with a 20-point one, or whoever might have been available at the deadline in 2021.

These are not hard choices when you’re running an NHL franchise that has two top-5 players in the world.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Bowman needs to add another level of intrigue to this, guy needs to come out and say. “At those price tags we just didn’t see a fit for these players in our system anymore. McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard have talked about taking discounts and these are not the kind of players we need to be earning that saved money”.

Let’s turn the heat up a bit on this!

• Love
Reactions: Memento

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
There’s still a lot of anger directed towards the players from the fan base. Holloway said he’s gotten quite a few “negative” messages from fans sent to him in the last few days.

There are stupid fans everywhere that take anything personally. Whether it is leaving as a FA or having a bad game. The logical fans, are upset at Oilers management and upset at Blues management. Players should get paid if they can. Nothing is guarantee especially on the same day that my boy Klefbom officially announced his retirement.

Risk and reward

for Bro + Hol

Absent a better offer, Oil rolled the dice by standing pat, then had to deal w/reality of OS
live + learn

As much as I will miss Broberg, I am super pumped that I no longer have to see Bern trying to trade for Broberg from the Oilers. Blues fans, he's your problem now.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Risk and reward

for Bro + Hol

live + learn

You probably offered that to Kenny Holland instead of Jackson or Bowman. Probably just got lost in translation.

• Haha
Reactions: HipsCzech and JKG33

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sure, but then we're back to including that they significantly overpaid Broberg and Holloway from what they were asking for.
That's the whole point of an offersheet. To overpay a player short term to make it unpalatable for the other team to match. If they offersheeted them with a fair contract, it would never work.

Are you new to this?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Why did they trade Ceci if they never planned to match? Ik he has a reputation, but he's still a serviceable top 6d. Strange.

Even if Holloway and Broberg had signed for about 1 mil, Ceci (or Kulak) would have still been on the chopping block. The team would have been over the cap once Kane came back.

By swapping to Emberson they have a decent bit more flexibility.

Plus if Emberson can continue his development, he's more or less what the doctor ordered for Edmonton: A RHD that can play clean defence, skate, and not treat the puck like a grenade is something they've been dying for. Hell, it's what they were trying to make Broberg into.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
As an outside fan, I don't know how big a loss it all really is for Edmonton in terms of impact on their contention. Saves them from committing to an overpayment during a contention window, even if it is for only 2 years. Sucks to lose cheaper players to back-fill, though.

Smart move by St. Louis, though it does look like they made a peace offering by sending the extra 3rd and Fischer today.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Lmao. This is a horrible take. I hope you don’t think losing Foegele made us “less mean.” I like the player and all, but Arvidsson plays with way more tenacity and grit than Foegele. Foegele can write a masterclass on how to look physical on the forecheck without actually hitting the entire player. Thats not questioning the effectiveness, he’s a great forechecker, but he intimidates no one.

Would have preferred to keep Holloway, but I guess this was about cap compliance with the thought that Kane won’t be out for long.

When we traded Ceci I was worried because I figured we were matching Broberg. I like Broberg, but not at that money.

There are question marks with our D for sure, still hoping we got something brewing there, but explain to me how we’re cooked? Top PP, above average PK (Emberson will replace VD seamlessly), best top 6/top 9 in the league:

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-Henrique-Brown

Yep, looks cooked to me.
The issue is obviously the 2nd and 3rd pairings on D. Nurse is awful and played like a bottom pairing the past couple years. Kulak is bottom pairing. Stetcher and the new guy are barely NHLers. I mean, its a massive hole on D for the Oilers. They have no 2nd pairing and an awful 3rd pairing.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Even if Holloway and Broberg had signed for about 1 mil, Ceci (or Kulak) would have still been on the chopping block. The team would have been over the cap once Kane came back.

By swapping to Emberson they have a decent bit more flexibility.

Plus if Emberson can continue his development, he's more or less what the doctor ordered for Edmonton: A RHD that can play clean defence, skate, and not treat the puck like a grenade is something they've been dying for. Hell, it's what they were trying to make Broberg into.

Emberson was pretty good when he was with the Rangers in camp but got claimed. Pretty sure the Rangers had asked for him in the Nemeth dump to Arizona due to his connection with K'Andre Miller.

Likely would've been the AAAA guy for the Rangers last year if he wasn't claimed.

Looked like he carved out a nice little role in San Jose and got time to hone his game in the NHL. Still a depth guy right now, but it's just that extra bit of flexibility (as you mentioned) for Edmonton and some decent potential to grow into.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Offer sheets happen at a rate of about one successful one per decade.

Two tendered to one team is predatory. The GM community is an old boys club and Armstrong just spat on that.

Might take awhile, but make absolutely no mistake about it, the Blues earned themselves an enemy with this move and Edmonton will absolutely look to put the screws to them one way or another, 3rd round pick and a B prospect apology or not.

This happened to the Blackhawks last decade when the sharks offer sheeted Neimi and Hjalmarsson. Chicago made the right choice and walked from Niemi and match Hjalmarsson.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Oilers fans are mad about it, yes.

I think any fans of a team that was on the receiving end of two offer sheets would be pretty pissed at the paltry trash they have to show for it instead. We're also pissed at our own management, though.

About the only people we're not pissed at are the players. They got paid and good for them. Hope they show they're worth it.
I get it. Management is the only legit target imo but i'd be a bit bitter toward the offer sheet team I guess. thankfully no one is taking it out on the players.
Still, I would pray my team is smart enough to pounce on an opportunity like that if the need and resources aligned.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I get it. Management is the only legit target imo but i'd be a bit bitter toward the offer sheet team I guess. thankfully no one is taking it out on the players.
Still, I would pray my team is smart enough to pounce on an opportunity like that if the need and resources aligned.

Except fans are taking it out on Holloway, who has apparently read several nasty comments directed towards him.

I don't understand how any Oiler fan - how hockey fans period - could take their frustrations out on players who are just trying to earn a better living, especially after what happened to Klefbom.

You guys can be bitter towards Blues management and Oilers management all you want - in fact, I encourage it; I'm a Blues fan who supports her team, and Oilers management screwed up by offering them less than they thought they were worth. Just don't criticize the players for trying to earn a living in a sport where they're guaranteed to have injuries.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Ceci isn’t good but his metrics with and without Nurse were surprising. He was better when he didn’t have Nurse beside him. (If I’m remembering correctly)

He looked better with Kulak, but that also came with the caveat that Kulak didn't look as good as he did with Vinny. Even the one game where he (Ceci) was paired with Ekholm vs. a lifeless Ducks team was an adventure.

Ceci's big problem is he's slow and often gets caught in no man's land due to him cheating up ice. Contrast that to someone like Vinny or even Bouchard, who aren't better skaters, but both recognise how to manage their gaps far better.

Ceci tries to play like he has Erik Karlsson's skating ability, and it constantly gets him and his partner into hot water. Nurse is also guilty of the same crap (it's one of the many reasons that pairing was a gong show), but at least he has the footspeed to recover.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Why did they trade Ceci if they never planned to match? Ik he has a reputation, but he's still a serviceable top 6d. Strange.
Because now they got a younger defenseman that is cheaper and maybe one they even liked better. This also allows Kane's injury situation to play out either way.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
This happened to the Blackhawks last decade when the sharks offer sheeted Neimi and Hjalmarsson. Chicago made the right choice and walked from Niemi and match Hjalmarsson.

Wasn't Niemi an arbitration case the Hawks walked away from?

Though if I remember correctly, the Hjalmarsson offer sheet was the week before that case, and was the main reason the Hawks had to walk away. The Sharks did get him, but he was on the open market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad