Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You seem very confused. The Blues are the Bad guys here to edmonton*. The rest of the league isn’t shedding any tears for you. You’re in the “finding out stage” right now after “****ing around” with your cap space and young players.
Sure. You saw a better team than you were and overpaid for some fringe players you think can help you. Bully for you.

• Haha
Reactions: Reality Czech

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The Oliers overall probably did the right thing not to match.
BUT the fact that it reached this stage was a huge failure by the Oilers.
Horrible development and lowballing offers is a manual how not to develop 1st round picks....
The 2 haven't proven anything to deserve over 2M per deals. Both should be full time NHLers next season but there will plenty of growing pains physically and mentally.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
are some people actually mad about this? Blues just picked up a couple decent young pieces. I do not like the Blues at all but this is just smart of them.
Oilers fans are mad about it, yes.

I think any fans of a team that was on the receiving end of two offer sheets would be pretty pissed at the paltry trash they have to show for it instead. We're also pissed at our own management, though.

About the only people we're not pissed at are the players. They got paid and good for them. Hope they show they're worth it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
are some people actually mad about this? Blues just picked up a couple decent young pieces. I do not like the Blues at all but this is just smart of them.
They had the cap space to overpay for a couple of NHL ready prospects. Good for them.

Reactions: Ciao

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't disagree with you. But most teams with cap space currently are teams that aren't projected to be competing, the risk of losing a 1st is a pretty significant pill to swallow while overpaying for the player. 6.25 for 2 seasons for Harley is probably fair.

Dallas could also pretty easily get out of Marchment's contract if they had to.
Edmonton got out of Ceci's contract pretty easily too. I honestly think they had intended to match at least one of them and had second thoughts.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Lots of teams have unsigned RFA's. Holloway has 9 career goals and Broberg has 3 career points fewer than Ty Emberson. They were left to "hang in the wind" because we were busy signing a (bad) GM and trying to lock down Draisaitl long term.

The Blues were lurking in the weeds and took advantage of that. I actually think they're going to regret that Broberg contract, but we'll see.

If leaving RFA negotiations for the end of august is stupid, then the Leafs, Devils, Stars, and Kraken are stupid too.
Hard to regret a contract you can walk away from in 2 years when you aren't planning on being a cap team anyway

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
They also don't have another RFA that can also be signed to an offersheet to leverage the situation.

True, but they also aren't in near as much trouble as Edmonton is next offseason to pair with the issue this season. Benn comes off the books next offseason although Oettinger will see a significant raise. Lindell also comes off the books.

Harley most likely wouldn't be an issue for them unless he was offersheeted

If a team really wanted Harley they could've gotten him, but they'd have to pay Harley upwards of 9m and pay two 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd or go above into the 4 1sts threshold.

That's a long way from getting 2 players for a 2nd and a 3rd. Well plus a C prospect and a 3rd.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I think any fans of a team that was on the receiving end of two offer sheets would be pretty pissed at the paltry trash they have to show for it instead. We're also pissed at our own management, though.

About the only people we're not pissed at are the players. They got paid and good for them. Hope they show they're worth it.
Yup, prefer Holloway over Podkolzin and Broberg over Kulak.. but oh well.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hard to regret a contract you can walk away from in 2 years when you aren't planning on being a cap team anyway
His contract expires as an RFA I believe. The inflated offer he got makes it so his QO is sky high.

Sure, they can walk away from that, but I think as a playoff bubble team they'd regret having to.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Edmonton got out of Ceci's contract pretty easily too. I honestly think they had intended to match at least one of them and had second thoughts.

I'd imagine getting out of Ceci's contract was in the fold regardless of if these offersheets happened or not. I think Edmonton wanted the cap flexibility to make moves as necessary at the deadline.

Part of the reason that in reality this may have helped Edmonton this season assuming neither player takes a massive step.

It cost them a 3rd to get out from Ceci, but they got a servicable young player in return. I'd imagine that SJS will probably get a 2nd-4th for Ceci at the deadline anyways.

This gave Edmonton a lot of flexibility but has the potential to look disastrous if Broberg/Holloway take a few steps and become very good players in the NHL.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Broberg was looking like an important piece in their push for the cup. Can’t really fault Holland for not wanting to mess with that by sitting him during the final 2 games of the Stanley Cup Finals.

We're talking regular season, not playoffs. He played the last two games of the regular season to rest others.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What I really don't understand is why the Oilers already wasted their 2025 1st to trade up to pick some kid 32nd overall at this past draft.

They should be dealing all their early picks every year for roster help to get their Cup.
my own personal thought on it is that if O'Reilly has a big year in London - and he's poised to do that - he'll be worth a lot more at the deadline than an extremely late first will be.

It's a weird move for sure though.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Why did they trade Ceci if they never planned to match? Ik he has a reputation, but he's still a serviceable top 6d. Strange.
Ceci isn’t good but his metrics with and without Nurse were surprising. He was better when he didn’t have Nurse beside him. (If I’m remembering correctly)

Bond

May 10, 2012
Lots of teams have unsigned RFA's. Holloway has 9 career goals and Broberg has 3 career points fewer than Ty Emberson. They were left to "hang in the wind" because we were busy signing a (bad) GM and trying to lock down Draisaitl long term.

If leaving RFA negotiations for the end of august is stupid, then the Leafs, Devils, Stars, and Kraken are stupid too.
Now how many of those teams are in a spot where they have two RFAs they don't want to lose and don't have the capspace to match if both sign an offersheet.
I actually think the Holloway and Broberg are overrated and the loss isn't that bad for the Oilers but just another body in the pile of terrible Oilers' management decisions. The Bowman hire is the pinnacle example of it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
His contract expires as an RFA I believe. The inflated offer he got makes it so his QO is sky high.

Sure, they can walk away from that, but I think as a playoff bubble team they'd regret having to.
But you just told us he won’t live up to that contract. Which is it?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd imagine getting out of Ceci's contract was in the fold regardless of if these offersheets happened or not. I think Edmonton wanted the cap flexibility to make moves as necessary at the deadline.

Part of the reason that in reality this may have helped Edmonton this season assuming neither player takes a massive step.

It cost them a 3rd to get out from Ceci, but they got a servicable young player in return. I'd imagine that SJS will probably get a 2nd-4th for Ceci at the deadline anyways.

This gave Edmonton a lot of flexibility but has the potential to look disastrous if Broberg/Holloway take a few steps and become very good players in the NHL.
I think the plan was to stuff Evander Kane on LTIR for the season and match Broberg, but the problem with that is cap space doesn't accrue over the year that way. Broberg has been extremely erratic here, showing great flashes, but also showing pretty poor instincts sometimes and getting blown up on recoveries. He's also been injury prone. I think they thought hard about matching him and decided against it.

This way Edmonton has around a million in cap space now which is enough to add a ~4 million dollar player at the deadline.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017

There’s still a lot of anger directed towards the players from the fan base. Holloway said he’s gotten quite a few “negative” messages from fans sent to him in the last few days.

Reactions: Memento

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What I really don't understand is why the Oilers already wasted their 2025 1st to trade up to pick some kid 32nd overall at this past draft.

They should be dealing all their early picks every year for roster help to get their Cup.
They likely had this kid ranked much higher than where they expect their 2025 1st to land. They could always trade this kid as a trade chip instead of a 2025 1st..

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There’s still a lot of anger directed towards the players from the fan base. Holloway said he’s gotten quite a few “negative” messages from fans sent to him in the last few days.
He looked miserable in his availability today and I'm sure that's part of the reason why.

I'm personally not upset at either guy, but I'm sure some are. "fan" is derived from "fanatic", after all.

Reactions: Memento
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad