Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's not a bad outcome for the Oilers given the inability to get Holloway and Broberg signed when it was gonna be cheap?

Broberg Holloway Ceci 4th
gone and replaced with
Emberson Podkolzin 2nd 3rd and 8.1 million in cap space

Have to say though it's been a fascinating and potentially horrifying off season given the lack of quality youth that remains on the roster

until we eventually see what the Oilers get to help their defense it's a substantial downgrade from Holloway Broberg to Podkolzin Emberson and even though they retained and obtained better quality scoring.... older legs and less speed in Henrique Skinner Arvidsson vs Foegele McLoed Holloway and losing Ceci Broberg and Desharnais without a quality addition on defense looks like more heavy lifting for the top guys.

2 forwards in their 20s McDavid and Draisaitl 3 if you count a guy who was 14th on the Canucks depth chart to end last year...yikes

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Honestly only bouchard, drai and mcdavids age matter. So long as they are under 35 edm will be cup contenders, which no doubt sucks for other pacific team fans like yourself
This isn't basketball where 3 players can be on the court all the time and win you a championship. How many championships have Bouchard, Draisitl, and McDavid won so far?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Given the situation it was the better of the two options. Paying 2 players who have yet to show a full season of 3rd line or 3rd pairing quality play 7mil combined sounds like an awful move for a team trying to win the cup this year.

The Oilers would have been able to negotiate a deal that was less than the offer sheet. Offer sheets are almost always overpayments. Once the offer sheets were put down, it was clearly a rock and a hard place. Prior to that the Oilers messed up their cap and negotiations to put themselves into that spot.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Oilers would have been able to negotiate a deal that was less than the offer sheet. Offer sheets are almost always overpayments. Once the offer sheets were put down, it was clearly a rock and a hard place. Prior to that the Oilers messed up their cap and negotiations to put themselves into that spot.
Or really should have traded Holloway at the draft. Kudos to the Blues though, as much as i hate them, they are a smart team who identified another team's weakness.

I would have been pissed if Newhook was broberg's offersheet last off season.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't think anyone can dispute that the Oilers defence is worse than it was 48 hours ago. Some may say a lot worse.
I think Stan Bowman has a plan. He'll leave it as is until January and try and win a lot of 7-6 games with Kane in the lineup occasionally. Come January Kane will have surgery and be on LTIR for the rest of the season. Bowman will play the LTIR game and pick up a stud 2nd pairing RD once Kane is on LTIR, using Kane's $5.125m contract space, and then Kane will miraculously recover in time for the playoffs. Bowman will be celebrated and praised in Edmonton as a genius and all that sex abuse stuff will be washed away and forgotten.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
This isn't basketball where 3 players can be on the court all the time and win you a championship. How many championships have Bouchard, Draisitl, and McDavid won so far?

I'd say you have an argument, but they just went to the 7th game in the finals, soooo...

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Seems strange from STL's perspective. Neither of these guys materially improve your team....it's adding depth on a team that needs to add more than depth to contend. Why not save yourself the cap space and if your team can compete - use that cap at the deadline or something.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I don't think anyone can dispute that the Oilers defence is worse than it was 48 hours ago. Some may say a lot worse.
I think Stan Bowman has a plan. He'll leave it as is until January and try and win a lot of 7-6 games with Kane in the lineup occasionally. Come January Kane will have surgery and be on LTIR for the rest of the season. Bowman will play the LTIR game and pick up a stud 2nd pairing RD once Kane is on LTIR, using Kane's $5.125m contract space, and then Kane will miraculously recover in time for the playoffs. Bowman will be celebrated and praised in Edmonton as a genius and all that sex abuse stuff will be washed away and forgotten.
Is this really how you see it?

Reactions: Memento

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Can you illustrate how it isn't fine? You did watch the playoffs right?
BLACK-COPY-NHL-SC-WINNERS-1-digit.png

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
They're still gonna contend so nice strawman bud...

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Biggest winners here are Holloway and Broberg. Both get pay days in excess of actual worth and are guaranteed prime opportunity to develop further.

After all the veteran UFA forward signings the Oilers made, Holloway was facing another year of toiling away on the 4th line or in the pressbox. Now he'll play somewhere up on the Blues lineup instead. And Broberg no longer has to play on his offside next to Nurse.

Some terrific work by them and their agents.

Reactions: Memento

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Honestly only bouchard, drai and mcdavids age matter. So long as they are under 35 edm will be cup contenders, which no doubt sucks for other pacific team fans like yourself
Recovery takes a big hit once you're in the 32+ range. That long run could absolutely have taken a toll on the rest of the team's ability to perform next season.

Florida is the exception, not the rule. There's a reason it's pretty rare to reach the SCF twice in a row.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Horrible asset management by the oilers. Losing two first round picks for essentially nothing. Oilers window is closing.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This was the right call for the Oilers to make. I hate that they're doing less stupid things now. Hopefully they go add forwards at the TDL this season instead of a defenseman.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Not sure if it was posted in this thread (too lazy to look), but with the news coming out that Broberg needed at least 80 games to be eligible for an offer sheet and the Oilers playing him in the last two meaningless games to get him to 81 is crazy to think. How Holland conned the Oilers out of $5M a season to not pay attention to details is beyond me.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Not sure if it was posted in this thread (too lazy to look), but with the news coming out that Broberg needed at least 80 games to be eligible for an offer sheet and the Oilers playing him in the last two meaningless games to get him to 81 is crazy to think. How Holland conned the Oilers out of $5M a season to not pay attention to details is beyond me.
Broberg was looking like an important piece in their push for the cup. Can’t really fault Holland for not wanting to mess with that by sitting him during the final 2 games of the Stanley Cup Finals.

• Haha
Reactions: LurkerLarry

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
This DA presser is fantastic.

"If there is some GM code not to do OS, nobody sent that to me."

"I read that I wouldn't have done this Holland, that's BS, I would have done this to my own mother if she was GM of Edmonton."

LMAO

"We are going to leave enough cap space to sign our own free agents."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad