Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
The money saved from dumping Hayes (vs keeping him in the AHL where I am assuming he would be regardless) is already in the equation

Hayes in AHL= 2.4 mill cap hit x 2. Moving him then = approx 5 mill in savings.

You add 6 mill you took on in Joseph, down 1 mill total

And then you have overpaid Holloway by about 2 mill, and broberg by about 5.6 mill compared to what they were asking for.

In total, 8 mill.

If you want to take out the AHL component, 6 mill total
The $ overpay doesn’t matter over the next 2 years. What matters is where the team will be after that. Either Holloway+Broberg works out or they move on without giving up much with no implications cap wise long term.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
You gutted your teams depth for PLD just to trade him a season later lmao kings don’t even have a window now

You’re probably correct . The difference is im not blind nor oblivious to the truth. I’ve accepted it as a Kings fan and where my team is at now but doesn’t change the fact that Kings have accomplished more than the Oilers have in my lifetime and yours .

Also doesn’t change the fact that Oilers are expected to win and im sure you and the other lil buddy that stopped replying would sell your left testicle to see Oilers win a cup while you can . However thats slowly drifting away

Lol

Reactions: JKG33

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I wonder what tipped the scales in our favor assuming the money offered by other teams was similar. The Steen factor, or perhaps the guarantee of getting plenty of ice time on a young up-and-coming team. I wouldn't be surprised if Steen's Swedish influence had at least something to do with it. He may know Broberg personally already.

I’d imagine the other teams were true bottom feeders. We aren’t good, but we were the 1st team out.

Also, I’d imagine a combination of Armstrong being as respected as he, the Blues clear succession plan (multi nationality influence Army+Steen), and the allure of bigger roles helped them quite a bit.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This may have already been explained in this thread but as a net result of all these moves (Podkolzin, Ceci/Emberson, RFAs), what is Edmonton cap situation to address the blueline...either with a healthy Kane or Kane LTIRed...?

How much wiggle room do they have now to go out and add a defender or two?

Something like 950k if Kane doesn’t go onto LTIR

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
During the season?!?!?! I think its more between now and training camp. That is not a Stanley Cup playoff defense.
perhaps not but the Oilers played most of the season and playoff with....

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Desharnais

Now it's....

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Stecher

On paper, it's a bit of a downgrade because of the lack of experience but that Nurse-Ceci was a major detriment so not sure how much the Oilers are losing really and Stecher has always been a capable 6. The big question is Emberson replacing Ceci, that's a bit of an unknown right now.

The big loss here is Broberg's growth potential but in the short term, the Oilers can manage with that defense especially with the added firepower up front.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Great move by Armstrong! The real target here was Broberg and he really only paid a second for him. Think the Oilers will regret this one eventually.
Will have to wait to see what other moves they make but so far that D looks pretty bad and there’s really not a lot of cap space to improve it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The $ overpay doesn’t matter over the next 2 years. What matters is where the team will be after that. Either Holloway+Broberg works out or they move on without giving up much with no implications cap wise long term.
If money over the next 2 years doesn't matter why did St Louis pay to dump Kevin Hayes salary over the next 2 years

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Oilers were in no position to give Broberg and Holloway those salaries in the next 2 years. They need cheap players.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Huh, would have figured that moving Ceci would mean they're matching on Broberg. Mind you dumping Ceci was a smart move to begin with, dude's trash.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
If money over the next 2 years doesn't matter why did St Louis pay to dump Kevin Hayes salary over the next 2 years

Because he was slow, didn’t fit in well, and has ties to the Tkachuks. Armstrong very clearly also factors in a players desire with a lot of trades. Fabbri/Kostin etc

I’m not going to say any of us were thrilled about it. But not having last years version of Hayes is a win for us. He paid a bit extra to do right by the player though like it or not.

Reactions: Memento

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think we just have to agree to disagree.

2nd rounders have a roughly 15% to 17% of having a NHL career.

That's like 1 in every 6 2nd rounders.

Sure NHL teams are 'unprofitable' as they sell there team for a billion dollars and recoup all losses.

Broberg is a NHL defensemen Many Edmonton fans were pumped about his play.
Is he overpaid this year? Yes
Does that make him not a NHler? NO.
Did the Blues just get a asset worth more than a 2nd? Yes
So when you've given up 2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd+3rd+prospect you're in fact actually quite likely to be giving up an NHLer making 950k?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

You want to pay money to guys that can actually help your team win, not guys who won't. Plus, he didn't fit here and moving Hayes was as much a favor to him as anything else. Army basically said that he likes Hayes as a person and wanted to send him somewhere where he might fit in better.

Not sure what you're trying to prove with your convoluted math equations but pretty sure most Blues fans are ok with what's transpired here.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Because he was slow, didn’t fit in well, and has ties to the Tkachuks. Armstrong very clearly also factors in a players desire with a lot of trades. Fabbri/Kostin etc

I’m not going to say any of us were thrilled about it. But not having last years version of Hayes is a win for us. He paid a bit extra to do right by the player though like it or not.
And if the money didn't matter why did Armstrong not eat 50% and save a 2nd round pick?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers were in no position to give Broberg and Holloway those salaries in the next 2 years. They need cheap players.
Yup and they will have no issues attracting them as long as they keep McD and Drai around.
Broberg is going to be overpaid for a while considering his QO in 2yrs. He was worth 2M x2 for next couple yrs.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You want to pay money to guys that can actually help your team win, not guys who won't. Plus, he didn't fit here and moving Hayes was as much a favor to him as anything else. Army basically said that he likes Hayes as a person and wanted to send him somewhere where he might fit in better.

Not sure what you're trying to prove with your convoluted math equations but pretty sure most Blues fans are ok with what's transpired here.
and if money over the next 2 years doesn't matter, why did Armstrong not retain 50% and save a 2nd round pick? (and a 3rd when he had to trade for it back)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
They viewed Hayes to be a warm body who didn’t fit in with the construction of the team out of a rebuild.
And so, to save money in the next 2 years (which apparently doesn't matter), they paid a 2nd round pick (and a 3rd when they needed that pick back) to dump his salary

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
the Oilers are quite obviously going to try to add to their D during the season for their run this year, and that move might work out better toward them winning a Cup this year. Broberg was going to sign an offer sheet with someone besides EDM if not the Blues. EDM was going to have to replace him. and they can. that's part of why this is so funny to us, we get why it's annoying but from an eyes on the prize standpoint Edmonton is as close as they have been and this doesn't derail that

edit - to be clear I'm a Blues fan. I'm just saying teams that are this loaded to contend will find a way to add, so I am not worried the Oilers are undermined by this.

also very 50/50 on Broberg ... he is a big maybe. But trying to find some maybes is precisely what Armstrong should be doing

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Yup and they will have no issues attracting them as long as they keep McD and Drai around.
Broberg is going to be overpaid for a while considering his QO in 2yrs. He was worth 2M x2 for next couple yrs.
Apparently ye is worth 4.5 or did ypu not get the memo

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think the right move not to match. Losing Broberg sucks, but that contract is downright bad. We have a few more pieces to move now or in the season to shore up the back end. Shrewd move by Armstrong to get two good assets for very little. Can't hate the game on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad