Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I member when Ken Holland was callled an idiot for drafting Broberg....now that's he's not an Oiler, he'll be considered a stud with tremendous upside
He's not a stud. He's a bottom pairing defenseman with middle pairing potential. St. Louis overpaid. Edmonton had to walk on these 2. Keep the cap, get a top 4 RD in season. Ideally one that can babysit Nurse like Ekholm babysits Bouchard.

Reactions: dukeofjive

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Oilers brass made the right decision not to match considering their current cap structure as well as optics (multiple players took discounts to play here so overpaying 2 younger more unproven players may have caused a rift in the locker room). I thought they did a decent job in trying to fill the gaps that would be left by Broberg and Holloway given the circumstances. Shrewd move by Armstrong on this one as he caught the Oilers with their pants down. Other organizations around the league should take notes.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
We had to pay to dump Hayes regardless. If you really want to look at it through a scope like that you need to add in that one 3rd came from taking on Matthieu Joseph.
Dumping hayes + broberg at 4.6+ holloway at 2.2 is the same cap situation as hayes buried in AHL (2.4) + Broberg at 1.8+ holloway at 1.2 (their reported contract asks).

Well actually you've still added about 1 mill AAV but I digress.

if you want to include joseph it's

2nd+2nd+3rd+Hayes+8 million dollars for Broberg+Joseph+Holloway

8 million dollars is a significant amount of money to eat. Personally I wouldn't, and based on the history, eat 4 mill x 2 for anything less than a 1st

Edit: you added another 3rd+prospect for future considerations

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Broberg & Holloway for 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, & okay prospect….

Well played Blues

The inflated contracts for the RFA made the guys damaged assets for the Oilers. They were going to make a reported 3.9M more in total than what they were negotiating for. 3.9M is too important right now
This is really what comes down to.

Broberg at 4.6 is just too much and hopefully it screws up the blues with RFA negotiations in the few years that follow. He’s shown absolutely nothing to say he’s worth that cap hit.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Sure, for Broberg at the 1.8 mill AAV he was asking for it isn't enough in trade value

When you pay him an extra 5.6 mill total that changes the equation significantly.

Changing any players AAV by nearly 3 mill will significantly change their value.
No no no, young players want to win the cup over making money! Both these guys were expected to be happy with league minimum contracts :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: wraithsonwings

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Kotkaniemi was a 1st and 3rd round pick.

Thats the thing about offersheets you have to pay.

If Broberg ends up sucking well the 2nd is roughly a 15% chance at a NHLer

I think its safe to say Broberg will be a NHLer just perhaps not 4 million dollar one. If you have cap space they came ahead.
Imo Broberg is a safe bet. I guess St.Louis found the right cap number that forced Edmonton's hand

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Just wait until the Oilers take the Kings again this year in 4 games.

Lolll . Do you really think you did something with your reply ? Haha !

I expect it and im perfectly okay with it 2 STANLEY CUPS IN THE LAST DECADE THAT I GOT TO WITNESS FIRST HAND ! Oilers havent won anything while you been alive and guess what you guys aint winning shet anytime soon either ! Lollll cheers mate haha

• Haha
Reactions: Trow

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
The offer sheet salaries are obviously way too high but the dollars/term that the Oilers were offering were just as ridiculous. Gotta think this whole situation could have been avoided if both players had been tendered reasonable offers from the get go. If they were going to trade Ceci anyway they should have just locked up both players for around 3M months ago.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Lolll . Do you really think you did something with your reply ? Haha !

I expect it and im perfectly okay with it 2 STANLEY CUPS IN THE LAST DECADE THAT I GOT TO WITNESS FIRST HAND ! Oilers havent won anything while you been alive and guess what you guys aint winning shet anytime soon either ! Lollll cheers mate haha
You think you did something here? Bro the Kings have been SPANKED and embarrassed themselves yet again with PLD.

Sleep well with your cup memories. You won’t see one more for a long, long, time.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Oilers better hope Ekholm doesn’t regress this year. If he does, that defense will be atrocious.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Lost in all this is the fact that Paul Fischer is a very good prospect who has a good chance to be an NHL player IMO. Don’t let the “5th round pick” description fool you, it hurts to lose him and Edmonton will be very glad they got him.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Dumping hayes + broberg at 4.6+ holloway at 2.2 is the same cap situation as hayes buried in AHL (2.4) + Broberg at 1.8+ holloway at 1.2 (their reported contract asks).

8 million dollars is a significant amount of money to eat. Personally I wouldn't, and based on the history, eat 4 mill x 2 for anything less than a 1st

Keep in mind that getting rid of Hayes is actually a positive, not negative for the Blues. So move negative Hayes and the money we're not paying him over to the Blues side of the equation.

Reactions: Godfather

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Andy Strickland was on 101.1 in St. Louis, and reported that both Broberg and Holloway had multiple Teams send offer sheets.
Most where in the same AAV range.
Again according to Andy Strickland.

Said both payers and their agents where pretty Pizzed off at the low ball offers and lack of dialogue on their offers.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
On the bright side the Oilers now have a reason to show up for the 2025 draft.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lost in all this is the fact that Paul Fischer is a very good prospect who has a good chance to be an NHL player IMO. Don’t let the “5th round pick” description fool you, it hurts to lose him and Edmonton will be very glad they got him.
Not even a top 15 prospect for us and arguably top 20. He’s not “very good” and his NHL future is very much a big question mark. If he does make it, it’s likely as a bottom pairing guy and not as an impact player.

Thus, he’s already been replaced pretty easily in our organization.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Didn’t see the addition at the time.

Regardless, that cap space is pretty meaningless for the Blues. We aren’t looking to trade either player. Their cap hits line up with when we have some guys coming off the books.

We’re in a situation where we are affording young players ice time. I’d rather them give a 2019 8th overall and 2020 14th overall pick an extended look within our group than use the cap space to acquire 3rds and help out other teams.

We’ve drafted 19 players over the last two drafts. 10 in the first 3 rounds, and 4 in the 1st. Prospect pool depth isn’t going to be a concern for a while.

Reactions: blueswede22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad