Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I included in hayes because the amount they cleared off him (about 5 mill buriable), is approximately what they overpaid on holloway and brobergs ask.

So for example if they just traded for holloway and broberg and paid them their asks (1.2 and 1.8), they'd have been able to keep hayes (or send him down) and maintain the exact same cap/salary structure.

So basically: trading for Broberg+Holloway, not dumping hayes

is the same cap structure as: 2 offer sheets+dumping hayes.

Joseph doesn't fit into that
We clearly didn’t want to keep Hayes so I’m not sure why you’re acting like he matters. We got Joseph, Texier and Faksa all for nothing, and they all fit into our style of play much better. Plus the first two are still pretty young.

Blues got younger, faster, grittier and better defensively this offseason. Mission accomplished.

Reactions: Memento

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
We clearly didn’t want to keep Hayes so I’m not sure why you’re acting like he matters. We got Joseph, Texier and Faksa all for nothing, and they all fit into our style of play much better. Plus the first two are still pretty young.

Blues got younger, faster, grittier and better defensively this offseason. Mission accomplished.
I am talking about the money.

If they had traded for Broberg and Holloway instead of offersheeting they would have saved that money, and then not needed to dump hayes.

meaning they could keep him as insurance in the AHL.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy... but this should be a tactic used more often.... here you've got 2 players, drafted 8th overall and 14th overall. They haven't quite lived up to their draft pedigree as they are still bouncing in and out of the lineup.

From a Blues perspective, yes, you've burned a bunch of cap space, but its only for 2 years. You've not only gotten them for a 2nd + 3rd, but knocked off the typical 2-3 year waiting period on a draft pick to become a contributing player.

Wondering if the Blues may look at trying to trade a forward and perhaps recouping one of the picks in the process; as presumably they see Neighbours in the lineup.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

If they had traded for Broberg and Holloway instead of offersheeting they would have saved that money, and then not needed to dump hayes.

Honestly that’s generally not how Armstrong operates. If somebody isn’t a fit in STL, he will find them a new home in the NHL if they are an NHL player, rather than making them ride the bus in the minors. Even if we don’t get any value from moving them.

I can think of a handful of players he has done that with and they all seemed to say they respected him for it. We didn’t want Hayes and rightfully so, he isn’t good and we have plenty of younger depth at this point.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Losing Hayes doesn't matter at all. The only bummer about it was having to attach a 2nd to do so.

We would have saved money but no guarantee they would have traded either player to us, or at the very least we don't know what the ask would have been. Maybe some other team would have topped our offer.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Does this make the Blues a playoff team?
It's possible but this is more of a move for the future to help bring in some younger guys to match the core's age. They are still a bubble team, only missed out by 6 points last season and they are definitely improved, so with some more improvement from the young guys its possible they sneak in but certainly not a contender or anything yet.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Oldest team in the league gets older

Reactions: Morrison

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Sure, but then we're back to including that they significantly overpaid Broberg and Holloway from what they were asking for.
See a lot of analysts suggest a 2nd is not enough for Broberg in a trade value. So when i look at it all a 2nd + 3rd + 3rd for Broberg Holloway and a 5th.

Honestly I pick the Blues

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
No, it’s not. I mean given the situation, I guess so…but losing two young players in the system is pretty brutal.

Regardless, overpaying them wasn’t the answer either.
Sorry, I meant for the Blues.

It is bad for Edmonton. I presumed that would have been a given.

Reactions: PuckG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad