Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Sharks 3 - Hitch a ride to McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It sounds like the best thing this team could possibly do to help Lucic out was to do the counter-intuitive thing of stopping the bending over backwards to "try to get Looch going", to the detriment of all else, and just let him run around and hit stuff without worrying about having to justify his UFA deal.

It still sucks to have a 6M/yr player stuck on the bottom 6, but if we're stuck with him then we may as well have him as useful as he can be made to be.

Unlike McLellan, Hitch doesn't need to care about the bad optics of his GM's prize UFA acquisition playing with the lunch pail guys. He'll just put him where he should be, and too bad if Chia doesn't like it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’m not trying to defend Chiarelli either but this is why I’ve been saying for a year that we need to see this team play for another coach before we give up on this roster. Mclellan was such a terrible coach who couldn’t figure out how to get the best out of these guys or even how to use them. We really don’t know what we have.
I was thinking to, it must be hard for a GM to win a trade.involving a roster player when everyone is underperforming. Not defending Chia either

Reactions: North and Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers dodged a huge bullet. I mean that would have literally crippled the team.

I mean I'd still take him, he's still probably at least Visnovsky good and Vis would be better any of our D right now. Just not at 11 million.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It sounds like the best thing this team could possibly do to help Lucic out was to do the counter-intuitive thing of stopping the bending over backwards to "try to get Looch going", to the detriment of all else, and just let him run around and hit stuff without worrying about having to justify his UFA deal.

It still sucks to have a 6M/yr player stuck on the bottom 6, but if we're stuck with him then we may as well have him as useful as he can be made to be.

Unlike McLellan, Hitch doesn't need to care about the bad optics of his GM's prize UFA acquisition playing with the lunch pail guys. He'll just put him where he should be, and too bad if Chia doesn't like it.
Hitch has always been the not caring how the guy was acquired, draft position, salary or anything like that. He gives the player and the team what they need to do well. Play well get higher ice time. Offensive guy? Play with offensive guys! Good cycler and forechecker? Play with similar guys.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
In regards to Marody, he had some moments but I don't think he's ready for the NHL yet. He should be back in the AHL for now.

Agreed, Marody needs more time to develop and no shame in that, it's his first pro year and he definitely looks like someone that will be a decent contributor in the future. I wonder if Hitch will maybe put Spooner back at centre on the third line once Rieder is back.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I mean I'd still take him, he's still probably at least Visnovsky good and Vis would be better any of our D right now. Just not at 11 million.

With Chia you’re probably looking at something like Klefbom + Benson + Bear + 1st. That would have been bad.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
He’s basically the NHL equivalent of a miracle worker (until the players tire of his grinding style). Chia hopes so, anyway.

You know... while I remember that being a narrative too... other than Columbus (and who could blame him) I didn’t see any prolonged team collapses.

I think in Philly he got turfed after a 1-7 (Or thereabouts) start after some successful seasons prior and they were quick to pull the chute... here we just call that “October”

Reactions: Oilhawks

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Man, the team played much different than usual. Love the physicality and that forecheck was money all night.

Lucic had a great game. Like Hitch said in the postgame, he has to get back to playing how he did in junior. Very effective game from him tonight - crashing the net, crashing the boards, throw that body around and cycle the puck whenever possible.

Everything seemed to work well tonight. Lucic to the 4th line and Benning mostly riding the pine was all we could really ask for tbh. I think we are going to see Puljujarvi called up very soon to play with RNH and Spooner. Spooner has been meh for me, but what other choice do we have to produce any sort of offence at all?

I am very optimistic about Hitch. McDavid's post-game interview seemed less than flattering towards him, he was asked a bunch of questions about Hitch and didn't really compliment the guy at all, but what can ya do? Maybe I'm looking into it the wrong way.

Biggest change I noticed was the short shifts. McDavid was out there almost every other shift, yet his ice time wasn't too far out of the ordinary compared to with Mclellan, where he wouldn't get out until the other 3 lines had a turn essentially. This led to McDavid staying out for long shifts. Now, every line is playing 30 second shifts and they looked to have far more energy.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Hitch said more articulate/detailed things about the team and players in the 5-10min post-game interview than McLellan did in over 3 years.

I love his take on how to get the most out of Lucic, and the deployment of Lucic was completely in line with that.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You know... while I remember that being a narrative too... other than Columbus (and who could blame him) I didn’t see any prolonged team collapses.

I think in Philly he got turfed after a 1-7 (Or thereabouts) start after some successful seasons prior and they were quick to pull the chute... here we just call that “October”

Probably his latter years with Dallas and St. Louis, although they were still nowhere near as bad as the Koala-led Oilers.

I will say though that his playoff record leaves something to be desired. Basically the players can’t sustain his level of expected dedication for more than 90 games or so.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I’m not trying to defend Chiarelli either but this is why I’ve been saying for a year that we need to see this team play for another coach before we give up on this roster. Mclellan was such a terrible coach who couldn’t figure out how to get the best out of these guys or even how to use them. We really don’t know what we have.

Yeah, I question the Strome trade even more now. Coaching move should've been first. If Hitch thinks Strome can still be trade and we'll be fine, then do it. If the trade is no longer there, oh well.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Man, the team played much different than usual. Love the physicality and that forecheck was money all night.

Lucic had a great game. Like Hitch said in the postgame, he has to get back to playing how he did in junior. Very effective game from him tonight - crashing the net, crashing the boards, throw that body around and cycle the puck whenever possible.

Everything seemed to work well tonight. Lucic to the 4th line and Benning mostly riding the pine was all we could really ask for tbh. I think we are going to see Puljujarvi called up very soon to play with RNH and Spooner. Spooner has been meh for me, but what other choice do we have to produce any sort of offence at all?

I am very optimistic about Hitch. McDavid's post-game interview seemed less than flattering towards him, he was asked a bunch of questions about Hitch and didn't really compliment the guy at all, but what can ya do? Maybe I'm looking into it the wrong way.

Biggest change I noticed was the short shifts. McDavid was out there almost every other shift, yet his ice time wasn't too far out of the ordinary compared to with Mclellan, where he wouldn't get out until the other 3 lines had a turn essentially. This led to McDavid staying out for long shifts. Now, every line is playing 30 second shifts and they looked to have far more energy.

Rule #1: don’t make friends with your coach.

The coach can compliment his players, but very rarely does the opposite happen.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Spooner reminds me of like a really crappy version of McDavid, lol. He kinda skates the same way. Obviously not quite that fast.

Reactions: Alberta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad