Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Sharks 3 - Hitch a ride to McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
All this travel and late nights probably won't be too easy for a 67 year old coach.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
All this travel is probably not gonna be too easy for a 67 year old coach.

Still astonishingly sharp when it goes to the game for his age. Sure he forgot one guy's name, but that's going to happen sometimes. Just as long as the name isn't "McDavid". ;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was thinking to, it must be hard for a GM to win a trade.involving a roster player when everyone is underperforming. Not defending Chia either
Of course it is. I’ve been saying this for a few days but Mclellan never helped him out. So many players regressed under him. Guys that aren’t playing well lose value. With the cap and analytics being what they are, nobody is giving fair value to players that aren’t producing in line to what they’re being paid.

Reactions: North and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Ryan Spooner has played for 3 different coaches the past 4 games.

That's got to be a record.

Yup. Definitely fair to not expect much out of him as yet, that's pretty confusing and daunting for any player. Has he really had any practice time with the Oilers yet? He looked better tonight, I suspect he'll look even better next game with some Hitchcock practices under his belt and proper utilization.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
can you imagine this being the first Oiler news you've seen since yesterday?

what a day
I logged onto the board around 11:30 this morning. I was on for probably twenty minutes reading last nights posts before I realized Mclellan had been fired. Only reason I found out was because I clicked on a link somebody posted from either TSN or Sportsnet about something unrelated and the first thing I saw was a headline saying “Why the Oilers hired Hitchcock”. I just stared at it for a few seconds before I clued in. I wasn’t expecting a firing on a game day.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The sad thing is that the worst defenseman tonight wasn’t Benning ... it was Karlsson.

One PP giveaway leading to a goal against, got outskated by Khaira for a SH breakaway, got walked by McDavid and fell down.

Every time I noticed him it was because he did something bad.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I logged onto the board around 11:30 this morning. I was on for probably twenty minutes reading last nights posts before I realized Mclellan had been fired. Only reason I found out was because I clicked on a link somebody posted from either TSN or Sportsnet about something unrelated and the first thing I saw was a headline saying “Why the Oilers hired Hitchcock”. I just stared at it for a few seconds before I clued in. I wasn’t expecting a firing on a game day.

I slept in today and woke up to a text from a friend talking about how the Hitchcock hiring. I thought I was having one of those "awake dreams".

Pleased that I wasn't.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Oh man reading the entire sharks gdt.... Such misdirected anger at their d and their coach and their precious pavelski and the refs and Oilers late hits?......I've had this feeling many times in the past. It's facing a Hitchcock team. Infuriating beyond belief.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Oh man reading the entire sharks gdt.... Such misdirected anger at their d and their coach and their precious pavelski and the refs and Oilers late hits?......I've had this feeling many times in the past. It's facing a Hitchcock team. Infuriating beyond belief.

Nice to be on the other side of that equation for once. I'll take "boring" and "frustrating" hockey when it's my team winning because of it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I was only able to see the first and listen to a bit of the second. Bob and Jack said at the beginning of the second period that it felt like a game where the Oilers weren't going to get a PP. Vintage officiating.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I was only able to see the first and listen to a bit of the second. Bob and Jack said at the beginning of the second period that it felt like a game where the Oilers weren't going to get a PP. Vintage officiating.

You know what the real story there is though? That Hitch had the foresight to realize this and started double shifting McDavid to fill out his minutes.

That’s literally coaching in the fourth dimension.

I can guarantee Koala wouldn’t have done that.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just to add ... the net effect of Hitchcock putting McDavid out there so often in the third is it forced DeBoer to continually use Vlasic-Braun instead of Burns and Karlsson. Burns ended up under 20 minutes tonight as a result of that.

It's been a while since we've had a coach who could single handedly change the course of a game by outcoaching his opponent. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
After hearing Hitchcock's post game I choose to believe that he couldn't remember McDavid's name was Conner and just refered to him as Mcjesus in the 3rd period.
I think it was Khaira, although he did also refer to Rattie by number instead of name, which is a bit scary if he forgot Rattie's name, while he wasn't much more than a cup of coffee guy in St. Louis, he went through multiple training camps with Hitch.

Reactions: Cypress
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
As long as Drai and McD keep having great games no problem! oh wait... kidding

Great game glad to see em have the win tonight after so much shit!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad