Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Sharks 3 - Hitch a ride to McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
McDavid seems legit sad that McLellan is gone, but I notice Leon seems to give no ****s, lol. I don't think Leon was as fond of him. I think that comment Todd made about Leon only skating for himself or whatever a year ago is something he never forgot.

Yeah. Players hold grudges.

McDavid probably just isn’t used to being deployed that way. Short shifts, but out there every second shift lol. Also probably isn’t used to the responsibility, but he was engaged all over the ice after the first period so he’s listening.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Best game I’ve seen by Gravel so far. 4th line looked good with Lucic on it. Tough start for Koskinen but battled after the first two goals to earn the win. Spooner didn’t look like complete ****. First line, first lining. Overall, pretty positive result on an emotional day for the team.

In game coaching was improved getting occasional matchup advantages.

Looked like our 4th line became our 3rd line.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
McDavid seems legit sad that McLellan is gone, but I notice Leon seems to give no ****s, lol. I don't think Leon was as fond of him. I think that comment Todd made about Leon only skating for himself or whatever a year ago is something he never forgot.
I don't think McDavid has ever had a coach let go before. Still trying to process. Probably as Captain feels like shit that they got a coach fired... Even if it wasn't all their fault, especially not his

space321

May 11, 2011
I'm still confused how Lucic had a great game. Is it by 4th line standards?

He had 2 SOG tonight, one was when he made a zone entry (surprisingly) and instantly tried a weak harmless slapshot. The other was on the same shift where his stone hands failed to convert a crease scramble. Other than that he was pretty dull. Still giving the puck away, still skating in molasses.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
In regards to Marody, he had some moments but I don't think he's ready for the NHL yet. He should be back in the AHL for now.

I'd love to chime in and give a opinion but I can't. I literally haven't seen him play, or it seems that way.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

He had 2 SOG tonight, one was when he made a zone entry (surprisingly) and instantly tried a weak harmless slapshot. The other was on the same shift where his stone hands failed to convert a crease scramble. Other than that he was pretty dull. Still giving the puck away, still skating in molasses.

Seemed like the fourth line had more zone time than usual, and weren't a complete wreck in their own end. I think it's a good spot for him, limited minutes and weak competition.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

Connor probably feels like he failed Todd in some crazy way (not the case at all, but he expects so much from himself that I wouldn’t be shocked if he has a weird guilt about it).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Holy ****, Hitch's comments about Leon and Mclellan's comments of him are night and day.

Mclellan: "Leon sometimes skates only for Leon and not the team"

Hitchcock: "Leon has dynamic hands, he makes soft plays for a big guy and that's an awesome player to work with"

There is this myth that Hitch only knows how to push. That’s not true. He knows how to deal with players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean if you're going to have a heavy team that doesn't have a lot of offence past line 1 or from the blue line for that matter, you might as well try to play a physical style of hockey. I have no idea how effective that can be in the modern NHL, but I said a year ago if the goal was strictly just eeking into the playoffs, they should have hired Darryl Sutter around late November and he probably makes it work coaching them like the 03-04 Flames and putting the fear of death into the D for making dumb mistakes.

Hitch is basically fairly similar to Sutter though I think he's a bit more offensive.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I liked Hitchcock’s post game comments. Much better than TMacs. Todd would have complained that his biggest concern after the game was that they couldn’t capitalize on their 11 second power play.

The team played with some balls tonight, which was nice to hear. I still don’t think anything will come from Spooner, but for the second lines sake I hope he can be better.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

That line had the sharks hemmed in all night.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Well it's not a great thing, you obviously want a team that's more than 1 line deep offensively, but it's probably something we have to accept for a while and try to manage as best as possible. It's obviously not the ideal you would want.

Yelling at a guy to center his own line when there's no good wingers and he's on pace for 50 goals and 100 points playing with McDavid ... I mean at some point you just gotta go with what works.
What people need to remember is these two guys were signed long term with the big picture in mind. The goal is to have them Center their own lines at some point but that’s doesn’t mean it needs to be today. It shoudnt be forced. We’re weak at the wings right now so play them together. If you can win that way, why wouldn’t you do it? A good coach can make this work. Down the road, when we’re deeper, it’ll make more sense to split them up.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
There is this myth that Hitch only knows how to push. That’s not true. He knows how to deal with players.

Very encouraging to hear. Hitch bringing some structure and helping these players develop into complete players could pay huge dividends for us in the long run, even if he isn't around after this season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I recapped it a bit earlier.

On the 5v5 he said if we are going to keep only playing 5on5 I'll just keep double shifting McDavid in the third no problem.
Thanks for that recap, just as I finished reading it, ched played the interview and I got to hear it myself. What a breath of fresh air.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Flames fan in peace:

Nice win. I don't follow much Oilers action, and while Chiarelli seems to be the literal worst, I think people get down on Edmonton way too soon. The Pacific is wiiiiide open this year and we could very well see a BoA in the first or second round.

GG.

That would be awesome. Let's hope so.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad