Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
Dropping in with an idea that could make sense. You could offer sheet Nick Robertson for 2.8 million dollars and it would only cost a third. The leafs almost certainly would not be able to match it, and it gets you guys over the cap floor.

He’s a young winger who looks to have some scoring ability, since that’s what it seems like you guys are looking for currently.
why would the jackets sign robertson, hes shown nothing in the league so far...

jackets need a stud vet could see them trading for Trever Moore, Danault maybe they circle back and trade for Garland wouldn't mind a blockbuster to get Brady LOL

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Dropping in with an idea that could make sense. You could offer sheet Nick Robertson for 2.8 million dollars and it would only cost a third. The leafs almost certainly would not be able to match it, and it gets you guys over the cap floor.

He’s a young winger who looks to have some scoring ability, since that’s what it seems like you guys are looking for currently.
I don't see how Robertson is an upgrade on any of the "scoring wingers" under 23 that the Jackets already have, except that because he's a Leafs prospect he gets more attention. He's undersized and always hurt, and in the same "unproven but talented" tier as the entire Jackets roster currently. Far more likely they're looking for an older guy to inject experience into a young roster that is now even younger because of tragedy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs fan coming in peace, and offering condolences for the tragic loss of Gaudreau.

Regarding the Salary Cap floor, I would be surprised if the league held you guys to that, given the extraordinary circumstances. That being said, becoming cap compliant shouldn't be hard at all. As a simple example, if Backstrom has an insured contract, trading for him wouldn't cost anything, it gets Washington out of LTIR, and gets you guys cap compliant. There are a number of other players across the league, who will also be on LTIR for the year...

Reactions: squashmaple

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Leafs fan coming in peace, and offering condolences for the tragic loss of Gaudreau.

Regarding the Salary Cap floor, I would be surprised if the league held you guys to that, given the extraordinary circumstances. That being said, becoming cap compliant shouldn't be hard at all. As a simple example, if Backstrom has an insured contract, trading for him wouldn't cost anything, it gets Washington out of LTIR, and gets you guys cap compliant. There are a number of other players across the league, who will also be on LTIR for the year...

The league will hold us to it, I'm quite certain. Exceptions are made for teams the league cares about, not bottom feeders and afterthoughts who were already considered unworthy of having Johnny in the first place. But regardless, it will be easy enough to fix. Waddell already wanted to bring in a bottom 6 vet, and now he's just got more pressure to do so.

Also, to comment on what you just said on the Leafs board, Jiricek didn't ask out, he expressed frustration over lack of playing time. I know it's easy to shortcut to assuming any time a Jackets player is publicly unhappy that they're explicitly asking for a trade, but that was not what happened in that case. (I was curious to see if there was Sillinger-to-Leafs conversation happening over there, too!)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The league will hold us to it, I'm quite certain. Exceptions are made for teams the league cares about, not bottom feeders and afterthoughts who were already considered unworthy of having Johnny in the first place. But regardless, it will be easy enough to fix. Waddell already wanted to bring in a bottom 6 vet, and now he's just got more pressure to do so.

Also, to comment on what you just said on the Leafs board, Jiricek didn't ask out, he expressed frustration over lack of playing time. I know it's easy to shortcut to assuming any time a Jackets player is publicly unhappy that they're explicitly asking for a trade, but that was not what happened in that case. (I was curious to see if there was Sillinger-to-Leafs conversation happening over there, too!)
Thanks for the correction on Jiricek. Yes, plenty of discussion and interest in Sillinger. You've got plenty of C's, and potential C's in the organization... it will quickly go from a position of weakness in the past, to one of strength. It will be interesting to see how that plays out, if bodies are moved out, or shifted to the wing. Having options is always good though.

Reactions: squashmaple

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Thanks for the correction on Jiricek. Yes, plenty of discussion and interest in Sillinger. You've got plenty of C's, and potential C's in the organization... it will quickly go from a position of weakness in the past, to one of strength. It will be interesting to see how that plays out, if bodies are moved out, or shifted to the wing. Having options is always good though.
If a decade of being a Jackets fan has taught me anything, it's that anything can go wrong will. There's no such thing as a strength for this organization. Having a list of centers and potential centers for five minutes this summer is meaningless.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Having a list of centers and potential centers for five minutes this summer is meaningless.

Potential centers are just that … potential centers. We have had bad luck with potential centers (Johansen, PLD, Wennberg). Heck, we even got rid of a guy that was barely a potential center and he became a very good center for Vegas. Until we have so much actual center depth that it is an issue, we shouldn’t be making moves because of potential.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Potential centers are just that … potential centers. We have had bad luck with potential centers (Johansen, PLD, Wennberg). Heck, we even got rid of a guy that was barely a potential center and he became a very good center for Vegas. Until we have so much actual center depth that it is an issue, we shouldn’t be making moves because of potential.
I'd argue that Johansen and PLD were not "potential" centers. But that doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Leafs fan here in peace. Trying to gauge what the fanbase thinks of Sillinger. Is he a long-term piece with the upcoming C depth?

It appears from looking at the roster, then confirming on this board, that there are holes on the wings. Would a Robertson+Jarnkrok+FLA 2nd for Sillinger work?
You're going to get varying opinions on Sillinger. While I'm one who thinks he's part of the long term solution, if they felt there was a gap on the wing, I think they would have other players currently slated as likely centers that would move to wing. The idea is that Jenner will move to wing to allow Fantilli to play Center. Fantilli could also play wing in the short term and allow Voronkov to play center, for example. I don't think moving a young piece for that type of package would be in the best interest of Columbus. Others may feel different.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I am not. I am being realistic with the situation and looking at it objectively without any emotional ties.

It's terrible that it happened. I'm heartbroken by it. The world does not go around based on giving exceptions just because you feel bad for an organization's bad luck.

I say this again. There is time to become compliant before the season starts within the rules of the game. There will be a rightful mourning period but business must go on. The regular season still starts on October 8 across the league and there are still 34 days to figure things out to become compliant.

The only way it will be given is if it is the last resort and all other options have been exhausted. I've mentioned that a few times. People on here are asking for an exception without even trying to handle it within the context of the rules first.
I suspect the CBJ might approach the NHL and take the temperature. I also think the CBJ will still add another forward or two and actually have all camp to see what shakes out. This may be the year that waiver players are added at the end of camp and put us above the floor for free. I do think the situation is an extenuating circumstance that a waiver for 1 year would not impact the NHL one bit. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

While I would think it woudl be supported, I really dont' think an exemption will be necessary as the initial plan was to add another body from a cash strapped team. They don't need much to get there so it's just a discussion point. I will reiterate that I don't think the league would force them to be compliant under this circumstance.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
They were centers that never met what we thought was their potential in a CBJ uniform. Is that better?
johansen's only 70+ point season (14-15) and only 30+ goal season (13-14) both came in columbus. i don't think he was a disappointment here. and they got the better end of the trade.

dubois was consistent here and had three really good seasons as a really young player, and his development has stagnated (and his play has since regressed sharply).

i get the expectations part of it but both of the guys you mentioned played their best hockey of their careers in columbus as 20-21-22 year olds.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Oshie is also not expected to play in 24/25. So his cap hit at about $6 mill with Backstrom's would put Wash $15 mill on LTIR. Not clear on the parameters of LTIR, but expect the Caps to be at the ceiling without LTIR. So, whether they need only 1 or both players on LTIR, not sure.

But, with just 42 contract slots used, CBJ can acquire multiple LTIR players. Cash cost might be close to $2 mill out of pocket to cover their portion of the contract that insurance doesn't cover to reach the cap floor. Or, they can go with someone like Weber on a back diving deal with very low real money, but has another year on the contract which makes going out in 2025 and spending still possible, but have to then operate in LTIR and with a lot of elc contracts, probably not something they want to do potential bonus money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fogelhund

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I see your overall point. Regarding the example, why would we help a team in our division?

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I see your overall point. Regarding the example, why would we help a team in our division?

I don't think it really matters which division you take some LTIR players from, if that's the direction you end up taking. It would be a mutually beneficial transaction, and in both Oshie's and Backstrom's cases, they are one year situations. I don't believe this is a year that Columbus will compete for a playoff spot, so it's not a matter of competing against a division rival here and giving them an advantage.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
or – and hear me out here – they can just do a $4m x 1 year deal to someone like blake wheeler or kevin lebanc
Blake Wheeler? ……Makes me think back to my Mole’s Used Records days where we used to buy and trade in records. My friend and I went one day - his arms were loaded with 8-10 “why’d you ever buy them” records to be used for trade. My friend approached Weasel, one of the resident faces working at Mole’s. My friend asked Weasel to give him $5 in trade-use for the stack. After a quick perusal of the vinyl being offered and shaking his head after each view, Weasel said “Ugh, I’ll give you $5 if you take them out of here with you”.

That sums up my feelings on Wheeler.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think it really matters which division you take some LTIR players from, if that's the direction you end up taking. It would be a mutually beneficial transaction, and in both Oshie's and Backstrom's cases, they are one year situations. I don't believe this is a year that Columbus will compete for a playoff spot, so it's not a matter of competing against a division rival here and giving them an advantage.
Has Wash already spent the LTIR cap space or do they plan on spending it? With those 2, they can go up to like $103 mill in total once they place them on LTIR. That kind of planning should have been done already, so they may not be in position to move either one of them. So, depending on where they are they may need to at the very least keep 1 if not both of them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Has Wash already spent the LTIR cap space or do they plan on spending it? With those 2, they can go up to like $103 mill in total once they place them on LTIR. That kind of planning should have been done already, so they may not be in position to move either one of them. So, depending on where they are they may need to at the very least keep 1 if not both of them.

LTIR is not an addition to your cap space. It allows you to negate the cap space, of a player already included in your cap. If you move a player in LTIR, you both remove the cap hit included in the teams cap, and remove some amount, up to the cap hit off of the cap.

Removing both the injured players cap hit, and the subsequent LTIR, would likely allow Washington to accrue cap throughout the year, so there would be benefit to them.

Last edited:

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I suspect the CBJ might approach the NHL and take the temperature. I also think the CBJ will still add another forward or two and actually have all camp to see what shakes out. This may be the year that waiver players are added at the end of camp and put us above the floor for free. I do think the situation is an extenuating circumstance that a waiver for 1 year would not impact the NHL one bit. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

While I would think it woudl be supported, I really dont' think an exemption will be necessary as the initial plan was to add another body from a cash strapped team. They don't need much to get there so it's just a discussion point. I will reiterate that I don't think the league would force them to be compliant under this circumstance.

I think the league will quietly give the CBJ the choice of either getting camp compliant by the start of the season or they can grant an exemption and count Gaudrea's cap hit but with a caveat. If they choose to count Gaudreau's cap hit it counts for the entire season. I.E. Waddell just can't go out and accumulate assets with the $24m in cap space he currently has. It would be more like $15m.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I can't imagine many circumstances more extenuating than this, I would imagine the league is going to offer some sort of flexibility. No clue what that flexibility looks like (exemption? extended timeline?), but I can't see what rationale they would have to play hard ball with Columbus on this. Not to mention it would likely be a PR disaster on the league's part.

Reactions: olli

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
I can't imagine many circumstances more extenuating than this, I would imagine the league is going to offer some sort of flexibility. No clue what that flexibility looks like (exemption? extended timeline?), but I can't see what rationale they would have to play hard ball with Columbus on this. Not to mention it would likely be a PR disaster on the league's part.
Only if it became public, that is. Doubt the league will bend since we aren't one of the few major markets and doubt our group would even challenge them on it in a "PR" aspect. Mac Jr. Isn't a league presence and we barely see him on the CBJ end. Since we aren't that far off the floor I expect we'll make some move to meet it and the entirety of the "behind the scenes" will remain a mystery to you and I.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Only if it became public, that is. Doubt the league will bend since we aren't one of the few major markets and doubt our group would even challenge them on it in a "PR" aspect. Mac Jr. Isn't a league presence and we barely see him on the CBJ end. Since we aren't that far off the floor I expect we'll make some move to meet it and the entirety of the "behind the scenes" will remain a mystery to you and I.
Possible.

Also possible that we may just sign someone and that is that.

Reactions: Doggy and CBJx614

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Seems to me that since we now have so much cap space, it might be a good time to add a player who would actually help make us better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad