Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Especially with middling center play. I think he has plenty of room for growth. Would have no problem signing Marchenko for 4 or 5 years if the price tag is $5M or less.
I’m fine with 4-5 years at $4-5M. I’m also done with $4M for 7 years.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Yes. Absolutely. Unquestionably. I am frankly shocked that anyone who's watched him would even attempt to debate this.
Agree to disagree then. Current stable 5'9'' Dmen in NHL are the following: Krug, Spurgeon. End of list. You need Hutson and Zellweger type talent to join that list.

Blankenburg would have had to improve such massive amounts to get to that level, that I do not think it was possible even with full health. Just another Victor Mete in the making (who Habs fans also swore was an good NHL player when he joined the league)

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Agree to disagree then. Current stable 5'9'' Dmen in NHL are the following: Krug, Spurgeon. End of list. You need Hutson and Zellweger type talent to join that list.

Blankenburg would have had to improve such massive amounts to get to that level, that I do not think it was possible even with full health. Just another Victor Mete in the making (who Habs fans also swore was an good NHL player when he joined the league)
Being a 5’9” defenseman is clearly why I never made it then. Definitely not any other reason.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
You are conveniently leaving out the return from trading Marchenko in this scenario. Maybe a young left D with a year or two of experience.
So someone Mateychuk beats out within a year or 2 at worst? Seems like we need goal scoring more than depth defenders

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So someone Mateychuk beats out within a year or 2 at worst? Seems like we need goal scoring more than depth defenders

So our left Ds in two years are Werenski, Mateychuk, and ? JMFJ? Let’s say we trade Marchenko for a similar left D - someone along the lines of Fehervary - similar draft position in 2018, some NHL experience etc. Then we can run a left side of Werenski, Provorov, Fehervary and not rush Mateychuk. We trade Provorov at the deadline and replace him with JMFJ and maybe Mateychuk (if he earns it). Then start next season with Werenski, Fehervary, Mateychuk. If Mateychuk passes Fehervary then great. Meanwhile, which wing gets squeezed out when Lindstrom is on this team in 2025-26? Who is Brindley replacing?

Again, I like Marchenko. He is my favorite Russian. But he hasn’t earned the money some people are suggesting. If he is going to cost $5 million, there are other options, like Sprong on the cheap and bringing in a legit young NHL left D.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So our left Ds in two years are Werenski, Mateychuk, and ? JMFJ? Let’s say we trade Marchenko for a similar left D - someone along the lines of Fehervary - similar draft position in 2018, some NHL experience etc. Then we can run a left side of Werenski, Provorov, Fehervary and not rush Mateychuk. We trade Provorov at the deadline and replace him with JMFJ and maybe Mateychuk (if he earns it). Then start next season with Werenski, Fehervary, Mateychuk. If Mateychuk passes Fehervary then great. Meanwhile, which wing gets squeezed out when Lindstrom is on this team in 2025-26? Who is Brindley replacing?

Again, I like Marchenko. He is my favorite Russian. But he hasn’t earned the money some people are suggesting. If he is going to cost $5 million, there are other options, like Sprong on the cheap and bringing in a legit young NHL left D.
Well Sprong is not great so Im not gonna touch on that. As for Brindley im gonna let the play on the ice dictate that, I dont want them making room for anyone. If Brindley makes it impossible then do something about it but Waddell isnt the Jarmo type of making room based on what he expects. You are talking 2 years in advance, why are you making moves now for that? Makes absolutely 0 sense. Let these guys play for an NHL coach and see how players respond to a new system and reassess, we arent exactly in a rush.

We dont even know what is happening with Laine yet. Maybe thats where they find a D they like so again they should be in no rush

Reactions: MoeBartoli

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Saw on the trade board that Kuznetzov might cancel the last year of his contract and go home to the KHL, giving the Canes some cap space in the process...possible landing spot for Laine?
Carolina wouldn't even have to pay anything, it can Kuznetsov to SKA to the rest of his contract. Also, it is not fact Fast will be continue to play, together it is $6,300,000. Plus it's $11,681,667 = $17,981,667. It is important how money Jarvis wants.

Theoretically

Jarvis $7,500,000
Nečas $5,500,000
-------
$13,000,000

Free: $4,981,667

Btw, Orlov could be moved. He has only one year to the end of his contract and Nikishin will play in Carolina in the next season.

Also doubt Kotkaniemi will be traded.

We will see, I hope this St. Barbara is over soon. After all, it's worse than a Mexican soap opera.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Fine. Our problem isn’t wings. Who is playing left D this season?
Probably Werenski-Provorov-Johnson with some combo of Christiansen-Mateychuk getting games as needed. Maybe even see Svozil get a little taste depending on how things go

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The initial projected lineup is not all that inspiring, imo. Of course, the whole Laine situation kind of hangs over it.

With the right coach, maybe they push fake-.500? But more importantly hopefully we see meaningful steps taken by Jiricek, Johnson, Fantilli, Voronkov, etc.

Reactions: domi28 and Toe Pick

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My prediction on Marchy is 5x5
Quentin Byfield just signed 6.5x5..He just had a 55 pt season following 2 pretty lousy seasons. He is a C. Seems to me using that as a basis or comparison 5x5 or 5x5.5 wouldn't be out of the question. I still would argue for a 3 year term to keep him an RFA next time around. Go higher in $ if necessary but keep the term short. All else fails go to arbitration and opt for a two year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad