Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I see Sillinger as a 3c. I also don’t think we have solved are center deficiency yet, so I am hesitant to trade a center, even a 3c. But there are plenty of wings I am willing to trade for Askarov.

Pssssst … maybe the Sillinger contract is the last to get done because he was the least likely to do something like sign an offer sheet or cause some kind of problem.
He's also the least talented of the bunch so.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Fair enough. And maybe, but it could also be because he’s shown the least but is still asking for a similar amount to the other guys we signed.
He's played the most and shown the least.

Chinakovs problem is staying healthy.

Voronkovs problem was his initial fitness level, hopefully that's a non factor moving forward after a season in the system.

Marchenko....I can't see why we'd even think about moving him unless it's a part of a major package for a elite player.

Tarasov is the only one I'm worried about and that's because of his health.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I really hope I am wrong but running back almost the same defense and goaltending is not something I have a lot of faith in massive improvement for Goals Against.

I was hoping for a change in goaltending and a more defensive defenseman. Jordan Harris seems like a good guy but underwhelming on the type of defensemen needed.

The new headcoach and system will help but another down year is what I am expecting. Probably another top 10 pick. Planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

Reactions: thebus88

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
I really hope I am wrong but running back almost the same defense and goaltending is not something I have a lot of faith in massive improvement for Goals Against.

I was hoping for a change in goaltending and a more defensive defenseman. Jordan Harris seems like a good guy but underwhelming on the type of defensemen needed.

The new headcoach and system will help but another down year is what I am expecting. Probably another top 10 pick. Planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

I am setting my expectations on 80 point mark next season. That would be 14 points more than what we got last year. And still 80 points would have gotten us to 26th in the league last year.

You gotta start somewhere and build on that.

Plus, next summer Waddell has a better view on what we have and what we are lacking. Likely Provorov is gone by then and Merzlikins gets dealt etc.

You cant fix everything Jarmo "pucked up" in a blink of an eye. We gotta give Don some time.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I am setting my expectations on 80 point mark next season. That would be 14 points more than what we got last year. And still 80 points would have gotten us to 26th in the league last year.

You gotta start somewhere and build on that.

Plus, next summer Waddell has a better view on what we have and what we are lacking. Likely Provorov is gone by then and Merzlikins gets dealt etc.

You cant fix everything Jarmo "pucked up" in a blink of an eye. We gotta give Don some time.
This isn't a damnation of DW, just the bigger issues is the defense and goaltending. I know he needs time to fix the issues and he can't control the Elvis contract. Just saying to expect a massive improvement in Goals Against, Goaltending and defense is setting yourself up for disappointment. I know it will be incremental.

This is a big reason I wasn't a big fan of the outdoor game until the team is on the upswing, probably year 2 of Evanson. I don't want another embarrassment on the big stage.

Reactions: thebus88

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
The roster looks pretty set at this point and I'm glad we did get a serviceable D back for Laine even though most of us were hoping for more a couple of months ago. With the info coming out about Laine, probably the best DW could do in terms of the best outcome for the team heading into camp.

Younger players like Mateychuk and Malatesta will either have to force their way onto team out of camp or go develop in Cleveland until an injury arises and that's the way it should be. Jiricek should make opening day roster but he's going to have rise to the occasion, and quickly.

Reactions: Marioesque

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The roster looks pretty set at this point and I'm glad we did get a serviceable D back for Laine even though most of us were hoping for more a couple of months ago. With the info coming out about Laine, probably the best DW could do in terms of the best outcome for the team heading into camp.

Younger players like Mateychuk and Malatesta will either have to force their way onto team out of camp or go develop in Cleveland until an injury arises and that's the way it should be. Jiricek should make opening day roster but he's going to have rise to the occasion, and quickly.
Porty had given this information three years ago, he could not say anything new. What is important are the present reasons. But I didn't expect more, only I did, and I was surprised by the second round. But it doesn't matter, we have a lot of young people.

Personally, I would have left Mateychuk in Cleveland the whole time, let him work out his habits among the adults, and would try Svozil. I think he can grow into a quality defenseman. IMO Stanislav deserves his chance.

Reactions: Marioesque

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Porty had given this information three years ago, he could not say anything new. What is important are the present reasons. But I didn't expect more, only I did, and I was surprised by the second round. But it doesn't matter, we have a lot of young people.

Personally, I would have left Mateychuk in Cleveland the whole time, let him work out his habits among the adults, and would try Svozil. I think he can grow into a quality defenseman. IMO Stanislav deserves his chance.
I think they both should stay in Cleveland. Let a guy like JMFJ/Christiansen ride the bench and be that tweener while Svozil, Mateychuk and Jiricek learn what it means to lead a team as the go to guys on the back end.

Reactions: cslebn

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think they both should stay in Cleveland. Let a guy like JMFJ/Christiansen ride the bench and be that tweener while Svozil, Mateychuk and Jiricek learn what it means to lead a team as the go to guys on the back end.
I can't imagine Jiříček in Cleveland although I hope Evason and Waddell will explain him what will be best for him.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
As much as I don't want to be patient, it's time to sit back, let the kids play, let the new coaches put in a sensible system, and let's see what happens.

Reactions: EspenK

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
sillinger is behind monahan and fantilli on the center depth chart for the next few years. lindstrom seems like a good bet to leap-frog him in that order, too. voronkov may have already leap-frogged him, and that's without even mentioning jenner, who is probably best utilized as a 3C – sillinger's ideal long-term role.

I don't disagree with your point about depth, but sillinger seems like the definition of an expendable piece at this juncture, and if they do end up needing more depth, it's not that hard to find replacement level bottom six centers – which is more or less what sillinger has been to this point in the NHL.
Oddly only seems expendable to some of you but not CBJ brass and widely praised by hockey people. I love Voronkov but he's likely moved to wing to use his size. When the team is discussed it's Monahan, Fantilli, Sillinger and Kuraly at center. May not end that way. We'll see.

For the record, I agree you could replace his production in the bottom 6 but not get a player with the upside that he offers and at the age he is. If you want to churn the roster in the bottom 6, then yes he's expendable and replaceable. If you want growth and a longer term piece, I don't see it that way. Kid just turned 21 with 3 years experience and he's talked about like a finished product due to his 2nd year in the NHL.

Yes, I'll continue to beat that drum... nothing better to bicker about. :D

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Waddell reiterated on The Inside Edge that they have been contacted more regarding helping other teams with cap space and that they'll be patient about it. He specifically mentioned hoping to maybe get some forwards to help with scoring. He has not done anything about that so far because he was unsure of what the return for Laine would be.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Waddell reiterated on The Inside Edge that they have been contacted more regarding helping other teams with cap space and that they'll be patient about it. He specifically mentioned hoping to maybe get some forwards to help with scoring. He has not done anything about that so far because he was unsure of what the return for Laine would be.
I'm not holding my breath that they will weaponize their cap space any time soon. Ownership's MO seems to be if the team is good, they'll spend - if it's bad, they won't spend - if you make them spend while being bad you're fired. I don't think hiring the former GM of Carolina who has a notoriously cost conscious owner was a coincidence.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not holding my breath that they will weaponize their cap space any time soon. Ownership's MO seems to be if the team is good, they'll spend - if it's bad, they won't spend - if you make them spend while being bad you're fired. I don't think hiring the former GM of Carolina who has a notoriously cost conscious owner was a coincidence.
It's not about spending it for the sake of spending it. It's about spending it wisely.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
GMDW left Carolina, in part, because of the owner and how he wanted to run the team. I don't see any connection at all. CBJ has never been a budget team and they certainly spent on Johnny when the team wasn't good. I'll just have to disagree with you on that portion of your post. I've not seen this team restrict spending. I do think they push harder when the team is crap and they woudl want to spend money, but don't know that they have actively pinched pennies - good or bad times. If I were owner, I'd be saying you can spend it but I want to review and understand how it makes us better now and in the future. Ultimately, I wouldn't doubt if this team doesn't struggle a little at the gate this year after years of empty hope.

I think there isn't much hope in the general fanbase this year and that will make it harder to fill the arena, less revenue, save your money.

Reactions: LJ7

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm obviously not saying they should spend the money unwisely. What I am saying is that people who are hoping that the Laine move is a precursor to another move to bring in talent are likely to be disappointed.
Sure but anyone thinking that moving Laine was a direct pre-cursor to another move just isn't paying attention. We just simply got rid of a guy who didn't want to be here anymore and we don't have to pay him anymore because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad