Expansion to 36, which city is number 36?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, OKC is in the same place as those cities, as they're all mid-sized markets (rounding up on a few) that haven't expressed interest in the NHL. But that was exactly the case for Salt Lake City two years ago.

Money talks, and a billion dollars talks very loudly.

If Bettman could snap his figures and get nine figure offers for teams in markets of his choice, he'd of course pick Houston and Atlanta. But there's a practical aspect to recognize that they have a high asking price to weed out less interested potential bidders with shallower pockets. Paying that kind of cash seems to be the key to entry now.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, OKC is in the same place as those cities, as they're all mid-sized markets (rounding up on a few) that haven't expressed interest in the NHL. But that was exactly the case for Salt Lake City two years ago.

Money talks, and a billion dollars talks very loudly.

Salt Lake City is a mid-sized market and was the case two years ago. Those others are not and were not. These markets are not in the same tier as SLC.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Salt Lake City is a mid-sized market and was the case two years ago. Those others are not and were not. These markets are not in the same tier as SLC.

Salt Lake City's metro area is smaller than OKC's, Jacksonville's, and Hampton Road's (and much more so including the relatively nearbv Richmond as a source of partial fandom). I know that that's not all to the equation, especially as physical sizes vart greatly, but Salt Lake City isn't really a tier above the likes mentioned in terms of possible depth of the population base to draw from. Maybe a better market due to more of a winter sports lineage, but the point is still the same that if were talking in 2022 or 2020, they'd all have gotten the same handwaiving treatment as expansion candidates.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Salt Lake City's metro area is smaller than OKC's, Jacksonville's, and Hampton Road's (and much more so including the relatively nearbv Richmond as a source of partial fandom). I know that that's not all to the equation, especially as physical sizes vart greatly, but Salt Lake City isn't really a tier above the likes mentioned in terms of possible depth of the population base to draw from. Maybe a better market due to more of a winter sports lineage, but the point is still the same that if were talking in 2022 or 2020, they'd all have gotten the same handwaiving treatment as expansion candidates.

I literally debunked that myth about the SLC metro size two posts ago.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Counting the whole CSA does give an edge to SLC, but it also encompasses a significantly larger and elongated area as well, which makes drawing in fans more difficut, too. The area's tall and narrow footprint was mentioned in conversations past as a likely barrier for reliable fan draws, too.

But the point is that when speaking CSAs or MSAs however far out you want to draw from, the cities mostly mentioned are all far closer to each other than the mega markets that obviously get the most attention. I don't see Utah getting a team as a barrier to entry for slightly larger, similarly-sized, or slightly smaller markets, but rather that whole ballpark is fair game if the right person with a big enough bank account reaches out to the NHL.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Counting the whole CSA does give an edge to SLC, but it also encompasses a significantly larger and elongated area as well, which makes drawing in fans more difficut, too. The area's tall and narrow footprint was mentioned in conversations past as a likely barrier for reliable fan draws, too.

But the point is that when speaking CSAs or MSAs however far out you want to draw from, the cities mostly mentioned are all far closer to each other than the mega markets that obviously get the most attention. I don't see Utah getting a team as a barrier to entry for slightly larger, similarly-sized, or slightly smaller markets, but rather that whole ballpark is fair game if the right person with a big enough bank account reaches out to the NHL.

Counting the whole CSA in SLCs case is counting the whole market and not spinning it to look smaller than it is in reality. No one giving an honest and informed look at the Hurricanes' market looks at it as being 1.5 million people and we shouldn't be doing that to SLC.

This is my point though. OKC is not "slightly smaller" than SLC... it's significantly smaller. You're talking about the difference between assessing a market similar in size to St Louis or San Antonio and a market similar in size to Grand Rapids or Greenville, SC. They're just different tiers of cities.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Those are valid reasonings, and you are good to point out the draw for Utah will extend beyond its technical core metro area, but the point that I would make that I think still stands is that I don't think OKC is so small that the NHL would be disinterested assuming a whale floated in and wrote a check. We all wtf'd when Bettman highlighted the even smaller Omaha, but if that's worth mentioning, then in a hypothetical I think OKC is worth mentioning, too, especially in reference originally to someone asking why they weren't getting attention.

But to be clear, we've had more of a conversation on this than I think Bennett has. I am not expecting Bennett to suddenly pop up and express interest any time in the conceivable future, though highlighting that prior to Smith buying the Jazz the same point could be brought up regarding Utah's chances at getting a team, too. Or heck, travel back in time twenty years and suggest to anyone that a team would voluntarily move from Seattle to OKC, you'd onky get dumbfounded looks in response.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Physically speaking, your SLC number is WAY off. For reasons that aren't clear, the Census Bureau does not include Provo and Ogden in the Salt Lake City MSA. Those add 1.4 million people to the Salt Lake MSA. It's similar to how the Durham MSA is in reality part of the same metro area as the Raleigh one. It likely has something to do with commuting patterns, but some parts of the counties that are located in the Provo and Ogden MSAs are more likely to commute into SLC. Since MSA doesn't break up counties, they end up in the wrong place. The SLC CSA, which has more to do with the "gravitational center" of a region, has 2.8m people in it and is the 22nd largest in the country. OKCs CSA, by comparison, has 1.5 million.

More specifically, as of 2020 there were 2,665,854 people in the census tracts that are in the SLC home territory. There were 1,797,459 people in OKCs. That's closer than me saying it was half the size (a slight exaggeration based on the CSA numbers), SLC is still 50% bigger than OKC is. It's not insignificant. In terms of population, SLC is still a medium sized market and OKC is still a small one.

The important thing with these statistics is that, once informed of the reality of a market, we use the same numbers to compare. Whether that's CSA or MSA or DMA or the home territory defined by the NHL.

So…. You are really defining a media market.

DMA wise.
SLC is 29th
OKC is 46th

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So…. You are really defining a media market.

DMA wise.
SLC is 29th
OKC is 46th

No, I really wasn’t.

But if we are using DMA, it’s 27th and 47th this year. I’m not going to pay for the demos from Nielsen and only found last years household counts. SLC had 1.15m households and OKC had 743k. 55% higher for SLC. I’m sure it’s similar this year.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Salt Lake City got the relocation for two reasons

Owner with Deep Pockets willing to pay

And a new Taxpayer funded arena on the way for SLC WINTER OLYMPIC HOSTING status

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Salt Lake City got the relocation for two reasons

Owner with Deep Pockets willing to pay

And a new Taxpayer funded arena on the way for SLC WINTER OLYMPIC HOSTING status

You see - I think that reason B:, the Taxpayer funded arena, helps to explain A: Owner willing to pay.

All the NHL cared about was A: Owner willing to pay.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
If Bennett starts expressing interest in the NHL, OKC would probably get the NHL's attention. But until that hypothetical, they're not mentioned due to it being small and seemingly no interested owners.
OKC (headed by Bennett) applied for an expansion team in the 1998 expansion. They just wanted a major league team, they didn't care which sport. They grabbed the NBA because thats what was available to them. I recall reading that the mayor said he didn't think they could support two major winter sports teams. Granted that was years ago and the city has grown but it would still be tough especially when you add to major college football programs in the state.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
All the NHL cared about was A: Owner willing to pay.

I absolutely disagree with this bit. They very much cared about B, in the context of needing to know the owner was not only prepared to pay, but was prepared to leverage the market to help fund the growth of the franchise. They've had some experience in the past with owners who have set the relationship with their city on fire, and that invites the kind of instability that reflects poorly on the entire league (and has reverberations into the league's relationship with the NHLPA, which doesn't help at CBA negotiation time.)

In the event of absolute emergency, the league might be willing to pull the ripcord of "find someone with a ton of money and an interest in the league, and figure ish out from there", but even then, if they have even a modicum of power to make a choice, they'll choose the location with the best alignment of wealth, market, and arena over a place that is strong in one and weak in the others.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
They were always going to get a franchise regardless.

The situation with Arizona only sped their timeline up by about 3-4 years.
That's my thought too. Furthermore, I think the league preferred relocation for Utah instead of expansion anyway.

I absolutely disagree with this bit. They very much cared about B, in the context of needing to know the owner was not only prepared to pay, but was prepared to leverage the market to help fund the growth of the franchise. They've had some experience in the past with owners who have set the relationship with their city on fire, and that invites the kind of instability that reflects poorly on the entire league (and has reverberations into the league's relationship with the NHLPA, which doesn't help at CBA negotiation time.)
I don't think the NHL really cares how an owner gets a building, so long as they have a place to play. The only people who truly care about who funds a building would be the taxpayers in said markets.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
CSAs are a better benchmark for "media market" size.

SLC is at 2.8 million and is the 22nd largest in the US.
OKC is 1.5 million and is 39th largest in the US.

If you're looking at underserved US markets, it really is a Houston (7.7 million and 8th in size), Atlanta, (7.2 million and 10th in size), and Portland (3.3 million and 20th in size) conversation.

If you're looking at CSA equivalents for Canada, both Quebec City and Winnipeg are around 1.0 million.

Going to OKC at 1.5 million would be a big mistake.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
OKC could've worked as a relocation spot for Arizona had it been OKC with the right billionaire and the right arena plans, but it's certainly not going to be of much interest to the NHL for expansion given the price tag will dissuade anyone from being interested. The same is true for any number of smaller market U.S. cities sometimes presented as potential NHL spots: Omaha, Louisville, Hampton Roads, etc.

The NHL needs to get a second team in Texas though. If Houston doesn't work (the obvious first choice), Austin should be next. It has a booming population with immigration from all over the U.S., it's highly-educated, and has a high-tech/professional based economy. If the NHL can be the first Big 4 team there, it'll be another Southern success story. If I were the NHL, I would be putting out feelers for persons who could have interest in an NHL team and have the skills to work through the political process of getting an 18,000 seat arena built.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad