Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I thought Merzlikins was going sayonara? He could bring in some more depth.
The new regime may have kicked around that idea, but if the return isn't there, may as well try to ride it out another season to see if a settled defensive system helps him rebound, especially if they look at this season as a true season to build something. If he doesn't rebound this season, then a buyout will probably happen.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Marchenko has been productive , and has the skill set to be a high caliber all star type player , just don’t know if he has the drive to become that player . Bucci has alluded to this in a handful of tweets . Says the player could be a Pastranak type player , but doesn’t bring that approach consistently . I’m hoping the new coach can bring that out of him this coming year . There were a few things that really stood out to me with Waddell , and this recent draft . Every guy they took are known as a ferocious competitors , they are big , and can skate . I’m sure a deal gets done , but Marchenko is probably wanting more than his value based on points he’s put up.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Getting the right 3LD is important also
I think some deals will happen later in the off-season or during the season after some teams take some injuries.

During the off-season I think a lot of people forget that by November or December most rosters don't look identical to how they looked at the start of October. Injuries, players underperforming, guys breaking out, whole handful of reasons why but every team sees adjustments.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
not sure what this dude is talking about.. “great playoff” ?

he went 2-4 in the AHL playoffs with a sub .900 save percentage and almost exactly a 3.00 GAA.
I believe that is great by CBJ previous standards. You know... wins in the playoffs

Edit: this is sarcasm

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This was in the Sunday Gathering today:

The Blue Jackets believe David Jiricek and Denton Mateychuk are close to being NHL-ready, but Waddell is intent on not rushing either of them. If both players demand significant playing time, Johnson will likely see his playing time limited. If one or both aren’t ready, he can play a third-pair role as he did for Colorado (80 games) last season.
Knowing that is very possible both make the team, and Laine is here with no trade (if he plays), here's what I'm thinking:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Marchenko
Laine-Fantilli-Jenner
KJohnson-Voronkov-Chinakhov
Sillinger-Kuraly-Danforth
Olivier

Allows Jenner to cover for Fantilli at center if necessary and take DZone draws. Theres at least two guys who can take faceoffs on every line except line 1. Also allows Laine to play on the LW which he prefers. If Laine is not here, either by staying in the program or trade, you can move Jenner to LW and Chinakhov up to line 2. Sillinger up to line 3, and Olivier up to 4th from scratches or open the door for a guy like Malatesta to make it.

D with Jiricek only:

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
JJohnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

D with Mateychuk only:

Werenski-Severson
Mateychuk-Provorov
JJohnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

D with BOTH Mateychuk and Jiricek

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
Mateychuk-Gudbranson
JJohnson

D with NEITHER Mateychuk and Jiricek

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Gudbranson
JJohnson-Christiansen
??

From the team depth standpoint, I feel very strongly that at least one of these kids is making it this year with a big lean to Jiricek.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Knowing that is very possible both make the team, and Laine is here with no trade (if he plays), here's what I'm thinking:

Laine-Fantilli-Jenner
Johnson-Voronkov-Chinakhov
Olivier

Allows Jenner to cover for Fantilli at center if necessary and take DZone draws. Theres at least two guys who can take faceoffs on every line except line 1. Also allows Laine to play on the LW which he prefers. If Laine is not here, either by staying in the program or trade, you can move Jenner to LW and Chinakhov up to line 2. Sillinger up to line 3, and Olivier up to 4th from scratches or open the door for a guy like Malatesta to make it.

D with Jiricek only:

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
Johnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

D with Mateychuk only:

Werenski-Severson
Mateychuk-Provorov
Johnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
Mateychuk-Gudbranson
Johnson

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Gudbranson
Johnson-Christiansen
??

From the team depth standpoint, I feel very strongly that at least one of these kids is making it this year with a big lean to Jiricek.
I was so confused wondering what Mateychuk/Jiricek have to do with Kent Johnson :laugh:. Took a minute but I got there

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Laine-Fantilli-Jenner
Johnson-Voronkov-Chinakhov
Olivier

D with Jiricek only:

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
Johnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

D with Mateychuk only:

Werenski-Severson
Mateychuk-Provorov
Johnson-Gudbranson
Christiansen

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek
Mateychuk-Gudbranson
Johnson

Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Gudbranson
Johnson-Christiansen
??

Porty sure seems to be assuming that we're done, that there won't be any veteran D added later in a trade.

I tend to discount his judgment on lineup questions like that. In the same article he lists Fantilli and Sillinger as our centers, moves Jenner to the wing, and forgets (again) that Voronkov exists. Your lines look better to me (though of course I'd have Jenner centering Fantilli for a while).

I have a hard time thinking this was the plan at defense. I think we struck out on veteran defenders in UFA - maybe Dillon, Cole, guys like that. And then maybe we tried to trade for Dumo and we were on his NTC list. So I think Wads is still looking - that is when he gets caught up, poor guy still hasn't signed our RFAs or hired a coach. Maybe something will pop up around camp or in the early season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I have a hard time thinking this was the plan at defense. I think we struck out on veteran defenders in UFA - maybe Dillon, Cole, guys like that. And then maybe we tried to trade for Dumo and we were on his NTC list. So I think Wads is still looking - that is when he gets caught up, poor guy still hasn't signed our RFAs or hired a coach. Maybe something will pop up around camp or in the early season.
It’s possible. I assume we’ll hear a lot about this when Waddell speaks after hiring a coach. That should really let us know if we’re done or not.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s possible. I assume we’ll hear a lot about this when Waddell speaks after hiring a coach. That should really let us know if we’re done or not.

At the same time I'm not paying too much attention to the verbiage. He's not going to say we're still looking and invite all of that speculation until he's confident that we're going to land someone, and we're entering the dead point of summer where there's no moves to be made.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
That defense is WAAAAY to thin for my liking. Maybe it's just carryover from when we had the injury bug completely wipe out the D but if we get two or three injuries and we feel Mateychuk and Jiricek aren't ready...what then?!

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
That defense is WAAAAY to thin for my liking. Maybe it's just carryover from when we had the injury bug completely wipe out the D but if we get two or three injuries and we feel Mateychuk and Jiricek aren't ready...what then?!
Then we get to see panic trades. They usally go well. That said, there is still a lot of offseason left. GMs dont just go away and put their phones on mute for the summer

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Then we get to see panic trades. They usally go well. That said, there is still a lot of offseason left. GMs dont just go away and put their phones on mute for the summer
Oh for sure. I think most of the trade talks are gonna die down until we get our RFAs figured out and until Laine comes back there's not much to talk about.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

What's funny is that our injury bug on defense has often just consisted of Bean and Boqvist being injured yet again. So now subtract them from the picture and we have basically have the same D we had for much of last year.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What's funny is that our injury bug on defense has often just consisted of Bean and Boqvist being injured yet again. So now subtract them from the picture and we have basically have the same D we had for much of last year.
And even if we added some depth a Werenski injury at the top screws us regardless what 2nd/3rd pair guy we add

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad