Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I am just tired of always wait until next season. Essentially everyone agrees with that the rest of East Teams have done and the CBJ essentially stood pat and may be marginally better. Now I will say DW did say this is what they were going to do so he didn’t try to blow sunshine and rainbows to the CBJ fans.

With that being said I don’t see on paper and previous seasons history what teams in the east we are going to pass?

Detroit - nope
Ottawa - nope, added goaltending and defense
Washington - nope, beat us last year and upgraded pieces
Boston - nope, beat us last year and added center depth
Carolina - nope
Tampa - nope, added Jackets killer Jake G
Florida - nope, beat the doors off us
New York Rangers - nope
New York Islanders - nope
New Jersey - nope, revamped defense and goaltending
Pittsburgh- nope and on-going bad joke
Philadelphia - possibly
Montreal - possibly
Toronto - nope, added pieces on defense
Buffalo - nope

Columbus - addition by subtraction on defense, added a few vets, subtract Laine, keep same goaltending, switch coaches.

How is that for reality. Not being a pessimist but a realist. I am going to touch grass and ignore CBJ news until October.

I get it ... I was a Day 1 season ticket holder (S105, RC S19&20) and held those seats for well over a decade. So I've been hoping for a turn-around for 25 years now!

What I see with Wads is refreshing. Build from the center and D ... that's basically how just about every winning team was built. He also see's that we're a few years from really turning it around though, so why overshoot and overpay now (I.e. don't be Jarmo 2.0 ... who may have been great at drafting but had NO IDEA how to build a team).

I believe he knows we're not going to be good this year, so this year is about trimming the fat/dead weight (Bean, Boqvist, etc), changing the attitude of the club, making us a bit more difficult to play against and figuring out what to do with a few bad contracts.

All that, while getting the young guns more time to develop.

Hopefully by improving the D (players and system) he can get Merz playing well enough to make that contract tradable. Laine, who knows with him.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Exactly. If those three forwards werent from the same country it would not be a thing. There wasnt any crazy chemistry that we should bring to next season.
I agree. I will say that, in fairness, we needed something, anything, last season, and "the Russians" gave it to us. But that should in no way tie the coach's hands in keeping them together, for the reasons already stated above.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Exactly. If those three forwards werent from the same country it would not be a thing. There wasnt any crazy chemistry that we should bring to next season.

In general, if I see a unit on a weaker club outscore opponents 13-8, and have a lot of communication and seeming chemistry with each other, then I just leave it be. If there's nothing there, then they stop winning their matchups and then you break it up.

I checked the numbers as a line.

13-8 as a trio.
Yegor and Dmitri are 4-0.
Yegor and Kirill are 4-3.
Dmitri and Kirill are 12-7.

I get it ... I was a Day 1 season ticket holder (S105, RC S19&20) and held those seats for well over a decade. So I've been hoping for a turn-around for 25 years now!

What I see with Wads is refreshing. Build from the center and D

Imagine last year's D but with Bean and Boqvist injured (which they often were). That's the current D group.

Wads hasn't done anything with the D yet. We're not harder to play against yet. We don't have a shutdown pair to protect leads. We have barely any plus defenders anywhere in the lineup.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
In general, if I see a unit on a weaker club outscore opponents 13-8, and have a lot of communication and seeming chemistry with each other, then I just leave it be. If there's nothing there, then they stop winning their matchups and then you break it up.

13-8 as a trio.

Imagine last year's D but with Bean and Boqvist injured (which they often were). That's the current D group.

Wads hasn't done anything with the D yet. We're not harder to play against yet. We don't have a shutdown pair to protect leads. We have barely any plus defenders anywhere in the lineup.
Just a reminder that "The D" isn't just about defensemen. I'm not saying something doesn't need done but a 5 man unit is required for a system to work. We haven't seen one since Torts left. I think that will change a lot for this franchise but you have to get the coach right

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site

13-8 as a trio.

I would argue that by removing Bean & Boqvist he's already made the D better and harder to play against. And I'm expecting more moves there.

Reactions: Fred Glover

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It is too early to lock down lines but I would like to build them with a couple of basic principles.

- Gaudreau and Monahan together (past proven chemistry there)
- Johnson and Fantilli together (A. playmaker and scorer, B. worked quite well last year C. Fantillis speed covers what Johnson lacks, D. This sets Johnson for success. Player that talented cant play bottom six role.)
- Try to make a third line that is as close to shut down line as possible, because top two lines are going to be more attacking lines and you need balance.

Agree?
Agree
Gaudreau Monahan Marchenko
Johnson Fantilli. Chinakov
Voronkov. Sillinger Jenner
Malatesta Kuraly Oliver

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Agree
Malatesta Kuraly Oliver
I like the idea that someone “different” will make the roster.

I like the idea of Danforth as a Swiss Army Knife who can draw in wherever you need to fives guy a rest or change the makeup of a line.

I like the look of these lines, although I suspect Jenner and Voronkov together will only be situational.

That said, I think there’s still an NHL player not on the roster who will be brought in, via trade of free agency.

Reactions: puckgoalnet

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agree
Malatesta Kuraly Oliver

I could get behind those top two lines. That second line is super exciting. But then you took our two most capable two-way centers and put them on Cole Sillinger's wings?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I could get behind those top two lines. That second line is super exciting. But then you took our two most capable two-way centers and put them on Cole Sillinger's wings?
I mean any of those 3 could center that line .. I’m optimistic that Cole who just turned 21 continues to improve , and year 3 is a big one for him.. honestly I think a lot of these guys could take big steps Fantilli, KJ , Chinakov, Marchenko and Sillinger with a veteran coach that isn’t trying to prove himself to the room.. not to mention more leadership in the room now

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I mean any of those 3 could center that line .. I’m optimistic that Cole who just turned 21 continues to improve , and year 3 is a big one for him.. honestly I think a lot of these guys could take big steps Fantilli, KJ , Chinakov, Marchenko and Sillinger with a veteran coach that isn’t trying to prove himself to the room.. not to mention more leadership in the room now

Big year for KJ ... he needs to show he's taken off-season conditioning seriously, if not I could see him as trade bait (and this is coming from a two-time Michigan grad who wants him to do well).

My guess would be Boone on the 2nd line to start the season ... but who knows.

Big ??? is Laine. Can we trade him, if we do what's the return? That could shake all this up.

Hoping for a coach who actually tries to get chemistry going on a line and leave it alone for a bit so the players can start learning each other's tendencies ... that's when we'll see real improvement.

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I think Monahan's a better 2-way player then this board generally gives him credit for. Other than his rookie year, his worst years (20-22) were when we was playing injured.

Is he an awesome 2-way Center ... stats certainly don't show that, probably serviceable at best ... but that's the same way I view Jenner.

[edit] Sadly, having two Centers as 2way serviceable as Jenner makes this team a little harder to play against ... not a lot, but a little.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't see Sillinger having big steps in him to justify that deployment. He's been about 46% on the draw in each of his three seasons. It's hard to imagine a coach putting the 55% guy on his wing, it's more likely to be the other way around.

I think Monahan's a better 2-way player then this board generally gives him credit for. Other than his rookie year, his worst years (20-22) were when we was playing injured.

Is he an awesome 2-way Center ... stats certainly don't show that, probably serviceable at best ... but that's the same way I view Jenner.

[edit] Sadly, having two Centers as 2way serviceable as Jenner makes this team a little harder to play against ... not a lot, but a little.

Oddly enough 20-22 were the years where his defense got an average rating? Before nose diving last year when Monahan said he felt great.

Though to be fair, if we're just going by twitter analytics, Boone has also sucked at defense in the last four or so years.

Leaving aside the analytics - Monahan isn't a very strong guy for what he looks like, and he's not quick, I can see why his defensive ability is questioned. Boone is that damn strong, and we have seen Boone in a more limited 3C defensive role earlier in his career and he can defend, if that's what you want him to focus on. Boone clearly can't do both at once. Monahan can do offense better, and we can hope that he'll be midpack defensively.

Monahan is going to make us harder to play against because he's a better scoring talent. That's all I'm hoping for. I think we're still near the very bottom in that hard to play against category.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Oddly enough 20-22 were the years where his defense got an average rating? Before nose diving last year when Monahan said he felt great.

But his offense absolutely tanked back then, I remember the first year he was struggling with injuries Gaudreau was way better with Backlund when they eventually separated them. Maybe a classic case of being forced to play ultra safe hockey just to survive, sacrificing offense to keep defense OK.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think the forwards have talent top to bottom, however, I don't see enough puck hounds and first man in type players to balance the lines. For example, I like the idea of Gaudreau and Monahan together but they need someone to play a 200 ft game with some thump on the other wing. I think you could put Jenner there. Maybe Voronkov or even Chinakhov, though not perfect for the role.

Line balance is the challenge I see with the lines. They still lack a heavy top 6 guy.... like Tkchuk... I'd consider

Gaudreau Monahan Chinakhov
Jenner Fantilli Marchenko
Johnson Sillinger Voronkov
Malatesta Kuraly Olivier
Danforth McKown

Although I agree...I think one more NHL addition is coming... maybe from the Laine trade. In general I just think line balance is off a bit with the roster

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If arbitration does happen, Marchenko will be UFA in a season or two. Given the fact that other clubs are very interested in him, it's an ideal situation for him to go on the free agent market. Let's see if Waddell manages to come to an agreement with him before the arbitration date.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think the forwards have talent top to bottom, however, I don't see enough puck hounds and first man in type players to balance the lines. For example, I like the idea of Gaudreau and Monahan together but they need someone to play a 200 ft game with some thump on the other wing. I think you could put Jenner there. Maybe Voronkov or even Chinakhov, though not perfect for the role.

Line balance is the challenge I see with the lines. They still lack a heavy top 6 guy.... like Tkchuk... I'd consider

Gaudreau Monahan Chinakhov
Jenner Fantilli Marchenko
Johnson Sillinger Voronkov
Malatesta Kuraly Olivier
Danforth McKown

Although I agree...I think one more NHL addition is coming... maybe from the Laine trade. In general I just think line balance is off a bit with the roster
When I look at this roster I pray so that Laine changes his mind. With this roster we'll never make the PO, and because of Patrik's bad value we won't get a player who can really help.

Reactions: puckgoalnet

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If arbitration does happen, Marchenko will be UFA in a season or two. Given the fact that other clubs are very interested in him, it's an ideal situation for him to go on the free agent market. Let's see if Waddell manages to come to an agreement with him before the arbitration date.
If Waddell ruins the franchise's so far perfect record w/r/t no players ever taken to arbitration I am probably not going to take it well. Doubly so if it's Marchenko.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If Waddell ruins the franchise's so far perfect record w/r/t no players ever taken to arbitration I am probably not going to take it well. Doubly so if it's Marchenko.

Do we get to hang a banner for this?

My guess is the players are doing what they should to protect themselves. Also, they can’t sign offer sheets now, so I think it is probably a good thing.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I’m pretty sure that with Texier gone Marchenko is my new favorite Jackets player, Werenski notwithstanding. I share your desire not to take him to arbitration.

But I also note, on one hand we need D-Wad to not be beholden to Jarmo’s predispositions but we’d prefer he be beholden to ours. I’m including myself in that statement.

Reactions: Monk

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
My hope is that Waddell had a frank discussion with the RFA's a couple of weeks ago and told them that all 3 of them were part of the CBJ future and would receive qualifying offers - but, that the timing of his hire meant that he had to focus on the draft and free agency and that negotiations would not begin in earnest until July. Filing for arbitration protects the players rights and likely was not shocking to Waddell and was expected.

Hopefully, now these negotiations are top priority, starting with Marchenko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad