Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
My opinion, I saw more leadership out of Minten in the few games he played in the NHL this past year then I see out of anyone else on this roster. This is a captain level player and shouldn't be traded under any circumstances.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
My opinion, I saw more leadership out of Minten in the few games he played in the NHL this past year then I see out of anyone else on this roster. This is a captain level player and shouldn't be traded under any circumstances.
You don’t become captain scoring 40 points on the 3rd line…. I’m sure he’s a very intelligent character guy who might become an excellent two way player but I’m skeptical he would be named captain ahead of Matthews, Rielly or even a Cowan.

Reactions: leafers

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You don’t become captain scoring 40 points on the 3rd line…. I’m sure he’s a very intelligent character guy who might become an excellent two way player but I’m skeptical he would be named captain ahead of Matthews, Rielly or even a Cowan.
I tend to agree that it might a stretch to see the "C" on Minten, but this doesn't mean he can't be a leader and shouldn't be a core piece of our next wave. He does seem like a leader, a smart player, and versatile. His lack of offense might even help keep him less expensive over the first six or seven years of his NHL career.

It would be great for us if he were NHL ready now and maybe he is. This team can win with three forwards making $35M if we have four or five contributing at $10M or less.

We have not had low-cost contributors during the Matthews era. Knies was decent in his rookie season (very good in the playoffs), McMann and Benoit both showed they could be parts moving forward and are locked in at good numbers, Holmberg and Robertson have shown just as enough to include them in the "run it back" one more year giving them a real chance to show. Woll of course too.

Cowan, Minten, Grebyenkin are very important for our next phase. Niemela, Hildeby, and Akhtyamov also. I also think Hirvonen and Tverberg could've bottom six guys, possibly Webber too. Danford is too far out for this discussion I think

In a couple years our big three (if Marner resigns) won't be considered overpaid and if some of the aforementioned youth can crack the roster or be valuable trade chips then we will also have the resources to add free agents to SUPPORT and AUGMENT what we have. We can't build a contender through free agency.

We do lack top end D prospects and any Marner trade should prioritize this return.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

This just a bad take. Like what do you gain by posting this? Minten literally barely showed anything let alone leadership in his NHL stint. He’s got a lot of development to do, not saying he can’t be a captain in the future, but you’re being disingenuous right now.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I tend to agree that it might a stretch to see the "C" on Minten, but this doesn't mean he can't be a leader and shouldn't be a core piece of our next wave. He does seem like a leader, a smart player, and versatile. His lack of offense might even help keep him less expensive over the first six or seven years of his NHL career.

It would be great for us if he were NHL ready now and maybe he is. This team can win with three forwards making $35M if we have four or five contributing at $10M or less.

We have not had low-cost contributors during the Matthews era. Knies was decent in his rookie season (very good in the playoffs), McMann and Benoit both showed they could be parts moving forward and are locked in at good numbers, Holmberg and Robertson have shown just as enough to include them in the "run it back" one more year giving them a real chance to show. Woll of course too.

Cowan, Minten, Grebyenkin are very important for our next phase. Niemela, Hildeby, and Akhtyamov also. I also think Hirvonen and Tverberg could've bottom six guys, possibly Webber too. Danford is too far out for this discussion I think

In a couple years our big three (if Marner resigns) won't be considered overpaid and if some of the aforementioned youth can crack the roster or be valuable trade chips then we will also have the resources to add free agents to SUPPORT and AUGMENT what we have. We can't build a contender through free agency.

We do lack top end D prospects and any Marner trade should prioritize this return.

Noah Chadwick looks like he’s progressing as a player too. Id include him.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Noah Chadwick looks like he’s progressing as a player too. Id include him.
That's a great call-out. I should have, but probably felt like I was about to just list every prospect we have and then the post loses relevancy. I agree on Chadwick and him being invited to Team Canada camp is probably all the justification we need. He might be a bit far away timeline-wise, just like the Czech kid (Holinka) that is playing for the Oil Kings this year.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Very cool post was made in the By The Numbers section that highlights draft record.

Here is how they ranked it from 2013 to 2023.

Here is a link to the thread.

View attachment 893272

So No GM is better Lamoriello?

Or to restate every GM is better than Lamoriello.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah, I also think Minten has the potential to bring value outside of offense in the form of leadership, maturity and versatility.

Having this guy as a bottom six C with a letter on his jersey for ten to fifteen years is exactly what we need.

He would be a good one to lock up on a friendly deal coming out of ELC if we can.
Perhaps a Boon Jenner career?

I think his age 19 season has to be somewhat mitigated.
He had many changes to his situation, staying with Leafs, being shopped by Kamloops, being traded, being Captain on Team Canada, not exactly a smooth ride this year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
if we got Boone out of Minten that would be so awesome

There have (it feels to me) many posts about getting Jenner.

1720978438653.png

So before anyone goes off about NFW.

Jenner is a 42 point per season career center, he isn't about being a top offensive player.

And I could easily see Minten put on 16 lb. as a mature male.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Perhaps a Boon Jenner career?

I think his age 19 season has to be somewhat mitigated.
He had many changes to his situation, staying with Leafs, being shopped by Kamloops, being traded, being Captain on Team Canada, not exactly a smooth ride this year.
Good points, are you suggesting he might be a little bit more mature and possibly ready due to what he has experienced?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Good points, are you suggesting he might be a little bit more mature and possibly ready due to what he has experienced?

I do see him with the Marlies, but I see him getting some time with the Leafs, especially if they go with some players who don't need to clear waivers.

Many talk about moving Kampf, that might change everything with regards to ELSC playing time for all their futures.

I thought their play scrimmage had a cute point ... when he told Cowan he was going to win the draw so be ready ... he won the draw to Cowan who went top shelf.

Reactions: horner

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Yet another AHL contract walks

Ripple effect from the Growlers folding? They're going to be less involved in Cincy I guess?
It should still be a majority TOR-signed team.

I'd bet that Barbolini, Frasca, Gosselin, Sikic, Stevens on F; Anderson, Bengtsson, Sharpe on D; and Peksa in net are slated to start there.

TOR also hasn't announced any AHL re-signings or additional external signings to round either the Marlies or Cyclones out more.

Also, only five players that Cincinnati qualified, all forwards, may even be back next year and a few of them are pure depth guys that conceivably get released pretty quickly. Polino, Carpenter, and possibly Vaive would be three quality vets to have around that majority prospect team though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It should still be a majority TOR-signed team.

I'd bet that Barbolini, Frasca, Gosselin, Sikic, Stevens on F; Anderson, Bengtsson, Sharpe on D; and Peksa in net are slated to start there.

TOR also hasn't announced any AHL re-signings or additional external signings to round either the Marlies or Cyclones out more.

Also, only five players that Cincinnati qualified, all forwards, may even be back next year and a few of them are pure depth guys that conceivably get released pretty quickly. Polino, Carpenter, and possibly Vaive would be three quality vets to have around that majority prospect team though.

Frasca, Gosselin, Anderson and Sikic were added June 25th. Bengtsson was back in April. Mix in Pare, Mermis and Myers, I think they have more than enough bodies to fill the AHL and ECHL teams with some returning players. I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs/Marlies signed one or two more destined for the AHL/ECHL/depth.

They also haven't replaced Clune for an assistant coach. I wonder if Muzzin could be someone that could fill in? He was involved at the recent development camp, so it's likely someone that could get into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Frasca, Gosselin, Anderson and Sikic were added June 25th. Bengtsson was back in April. Mix in Pare, Mermis and Myers, I think they have more than enough bodies to fill the AHL and ECHL teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs/Marlies signed one or two more destined for the AHL/depth.

They also haven't replaced Clune for an assistant coach. I wonder if Muzzin could be someone that could fill in? He was involved at the recent development camp, so it's likely someone that could get into it.
""

Sounds like they might be grooming him for coaching. It would be great to have him as a Marlies and Prospects D development coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad