Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The comment wasn't "He's not ready", it was "He hasn't earned it", as if he was a slacker just handed a job when it's 180 degrees the opposite. They are making him earn it at Cleveland and he has.

If he's not ready, fine. But if he gets the job, he's earned it more than any of the 4 current defenseman.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that. He's played the games. But he isn't at NHL caliber yet. To me earning it is meeting that benchmark.

And I'm not one to think that two season in the AHL should suffice, many of the top D in the leauge took 3 or 4 years before making the jump.

Reactions: CBJx614

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I have to offer a new logic for the CBJ pro staff to adopt. How about we only go after players who consistently put up career numbers on us. This tactic is called if you can't beat them then join you. This should result in lower goals against until a newer player fills that void and then we should go after that player. Thoughts????

;)

• Haha
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I have a secret for you... mo one signs free agents at a discount. Once the top ones are gone, then the bargains can be found.
yet, sometimes you get what you pay for when its a bargain.

To use a football comparison, when the Bengals go bargain free agent shopping for tight ends sometimes you end up with Hayden Hurst and other times you end up with Irv Smith.

Reactions: Xoggz22

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The contract Pesce signed with New Jersey had the same AAV and only one more year of term than the one we gave to Monahan. Roy was only $250K/yr more. All three players, incidentally, are the same age.
  1. those players signed with teams that are pushing hard to make the playoffs over the next few years. significantly different value props even if the jackets could have offered similar money
  2. RHD isn't as big of a position of need as center is imo
  3. the jackets signed similar deals for RHD in each of the last two offseasons (gudbranson + severson) and everyone still complains about those! why would it make sense to add a third contract like that to that position group?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
  1. those players signed with teams that are pushing hard to make the playoffs over the next few years. significantly different value props even if the jackets could have offered similar money
  2. RHD isn't as big of a position of need as center is imo
  3. the jackets signed similar deals for RHD in each of the last two offseasons (gudbranson + severson) and everyone still complains about those! why would it make sense to add a third contract like that to that position group?
To counterpoint #3. I've yet to see a free agent deal signed here that some backseat GM hasn't b*tched about in one way or another

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
three common takes I've seen floating around here for the last few weeks:
  1. jackets need to add a veteran shutdown defenseman
  2. jackets should trade laine for a defenseman
  3. jackets would be taking money back in any laine deal
  4. laine has little to no trade value
not saying this will happen, and definitely not advocating for this, but the natural endpoint of the above is laine getting dealt for marc edouard vlasic, isn't it?

he's only nominally a 'shutdown' guy and he's 1000% washed but that sure feels like the natural (extremely bad) conclusion to this saga

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Viqsi and Xoggz22

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
not saying this will happen, and definitely not advocating for this, but the natural endpoint of the above is laine getting dealt for marc edouard vlasic, isn't it?

he's only nominally a 'shutdown' guy and he's 1000% washed but that sure feels like the natural (extremely bad) conclusion to this saga
I’d much rather hang onto Laine than do that deal. There is no upside to Vlasic anymore

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

I am in the other camp (could the relationship be repaired) - Craig Button's quote about Laine and defending him about being an elite scorer and now just sucks is the right take. He said the same as well as JG this has me thinking more. Craig Button criticized the CBJ front office over a year ago saying the roster construction was a mess.

We know JG and Laine are not really play drivers but the CBJ put them in position to create their own scoring. Thus making them play outside of their games. Adding Monahan, while adding a center clearly has to be giving someone to JG to get him comfortable again. I know their are other items veteran leadership, etc.

I wonder if DW finally gets to talk to Laine if things possibly change? I think people are selling short on Laine and I am not a Laine banner carrying fan.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I’d much rather hang onto Laine than do that deal. There is no upside to Vlasic anymore
I wonder if DW finally gets to talk to Laine if things possibly change? I think people are selling short on Laine and I am not a Laine banner carrying fan.
this is also what i've been advocating for – put him in a position to re-establish some value and then trade him at the deadline – but i get the sense that the FO just wants to get 'er done and turn the page.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Assuming Laine stays

Gaudreau - Monahan - Marchenko
Laine - Fantilli - Chinakhov
Johnson - Jenner - Sillinger
Danforth - Voronkov - Kuraly / Olivier

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Jiricek
Gudbranson - Mateychuk

Elvis
Tarasov
Johnson plays bad with Sillinger.

Gaudreau (31) - Monahan (30) - Chinakhov (23)
Sillinger (21) - Voronkov (24) - Laine (26)
Johnson (22) - Fantilli (20) - Marchenko (24)
Danforth (31) - Jenner (31) - Olivier (27)

three first lines

Only three players younger than 23, 3 than 25, 2 than 30 and 4 - 30 and older

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
if laine's still here:
gaudreau - monahan - johnson​
jenner - fantilli - laine​
chiankhov - voronkov - marchenko​
kuraly - sillinger - danforth​
without laine
gaudreau - monahan - marchenko​
jenner - fantilli - johnson​
voronkov - sillinger - chinakhov​
malatesta - kuraly - danforth​

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

There was a time, long ago, when such a proposal would have thrilled me to death and made me the happiest girl in Jackets fandom. But that was many years ago, and now all it does is hurt me. Why do you say things that hurt me? :(
;)

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I'm not sure a chair isn't more useful than a Vlasic. 😼
again: vlasic is washed.

my point is that if laine has negative trade value and the jackets are looking for a 'hockey trade' and they need a 'defensive defenseman' and they will be taking money back, the natural endpoint of that is a marc-edouard vlasic type individual.

i'd rather keep laine or move him for a forward.

Reactions: Viqsi

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

three first lines

Jenner (31) - Fantilli (20) - Laine (26)
Johnson (21) - Voronkov (24) - Marchenko (24)
Danforth (31) - Sillinger (21) - Olivier (27)

Reactions: CannonFire1 and VT

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

my point is that if laine has negative trade value and the jackets are looking for a 'hockey trade' and they need a 'defensive defenseman' and they will be taking money back, the natural endpoint of that is a marc-edouard vlasic type individual.

My counterpoint would be that the "negative trade value" premise is faulty.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

three first lines

New coaching and new bodies, who played well with who last season is irrelevant. A new coach won't care what kids played well with who in the past.

I think the only guarantee moving forward is that Monahan will get stuck on the Gaudreaus hip until they prove they don't have any chemistry anymore.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Laine has negative trade value only because of his NHLPA program. In that case I do not see any reason to trade him in the summer but only in the season if he does not change his opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad