Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not entirely sure whether we need an LD more (where Mateychuk might play) or an RD more (where Jiricek might play). We have two veterans right now on each side. I don't think we want two rookies.

Nate Schmidt is actually a good defender on both sides so he is my preferred candidate. People say that about a lot of D, that they can play both sides well, and it's usually not entirely true. But Schmidt has switched sides back and forth his whole career.

Reactions: LJ7

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Hard pass on Suter. I went digging on naturalstattrick to show his horrible numbers in the playoffs but turns out they were OK - but my eye test didn't like him at all, and Dallas are the 2nd team buying him out, maybe there's a reason. And he's 39 years old. I'd say he's already fallen off the cliff and if he hasn't, that just makes it worse because it's bound to happen anytime.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not entirely sure whether we need an LD more (where Mateychuk might play) or an RD more (where Jiricek might play). We have two veterans right now on each side. I don't think we want two rookies.

Nate Schmidt is actually a good defender on both sides so he is my preferred candidate. People say that about a lot of D, that they can play both sides well, and it's usually not entirely true. But Schmidt has switched sides back and forth his whole career.
Waddell seemed pretty certain that Mateychuk was starting in Cleveland. He was much more optimistic of Jiricek making it

10:30

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Waddell seemed pretty certain that Mateychuk was starting in Cleveland. He was much more optimistic of Jiricek making it

10:30

Waddell hasn't watched them much, so unless he's making a commitment to put Jiricek into the lineup regardless of how he performs, then it will come down to how they do in camp and during the season. Someone might start on the roster and then go down, and vice versa.

All the more reason to get Nate Schmidt.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I figure at least another year of a top 10 pick...
Top 5 especially without addressing the goalie position. Running back the same top 4 d and same goalie tandem (both being ouchie) - yikes

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I expect The Don to fix the rest of what ails our roster through trades. Some may be quick, others may take time. I expect Laine, Johnson, and Jiricek (ruined by Jarmo) to be on the way out in return for quality D and a top line Winger.
I know we're in the blame Jarmo for everything phase but, Jiricek is far from "ruined" and it's not Jarmo's fault he still isn't the best in his own zone...

And don't be surprised if he doesn't plug every hole right away

Top 5 especially without addressing the goalie position. Running back the same top 4 d and same goalie tandem (both being ouchie) - yikes
Systems are everything. Usage is everything.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
didnt see than Brendan Gaunce left for Minnesota and Sweezey for Boston (in addition to Josh Dunne). Huge void of veteran leadership in Cleveland now. Would have to think TFW is next in line to be captain.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
didnt see than Brendan Gaunce left for Minnesota and Sweezey for Boston (in addition to Josh Dunne). Huge void of veteran leadership in Cleveland now. Would have to think TFW is next in line to be captain.

I understand they had to make room for more kids but who is ready to play Gaunce AND Dunne's roles? Those are your two big two-way centers.

Josh Dunne is young and a guy you want around for call-up duty too. I'm not a big fan of letting him go.

Reactions: LJ7 and Viqsi

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I understand they had to make room for more kids but who is ready to play Gaunce AND Dunne's roles? Those are your two big two-way centers.

Josh Dunne is young and a guy you want around for call-up duty too. I'm not a big fan of letting him go.
I feel like we have to have more bodies coming into the system, we moved a lot of people out so far and haven't really added anything back yet

Edit: currently sitting at 33/50 contracts, 17/23 on the "active roster"

Reactions: MAHJ71 and Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Waddell hasn't watched them much, so unless he's making a commitment to put Jiricek into the lineup regardless of how he performs, then it will come down to how they do in camp and during the season. Someone might start on the roster and then go down, and vice versa.

All the more reason to get Nate Schmidt.
He also believes what we all should believe. That prospects shouldn’t be rushed. Let them earn the job before clearing space for it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Between Texier, Boquist, Nylander, Blankenburg and even Meyer (local kid), it looks like D-Wad has bummed out just about everyone with at least one of them being gone. That's mostly guys on the margins or at the bottom of the lineup. Just sort of a big sweep of Jarmo's depth, if you will.

I know I expected at least one bigger thing with one of the "core" RFAs - Marchy, Chinny, KJ, etc - but could be we have to wait and see what happens with Laine before he can do any more. Or maybe he never intended to fuss with that group.

I expect D-Wad will get that 3rd pairing LD. Either in a Laine deal or via UFA. As others have pointed out, I think Schmidt would be a good fit, ideally on a 1 year deal. 2 max, but ideally 1.
2 out of 3 mods have indicated the new PHOPs nickname should be...wait for it...very hip...D-Wad....:naughty:

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Some of you would be much happier if you assumed the plan is to tank this year and get one more core piece before trying to compete.
Well if they are gonna do it this would be the year to do it. Season ticket retention is going to be fine this year but from here on out they are going to need to make forward progress or retention is gonna falter.
21-22: Good Season before that/Covid is "over" vibes
22-23: Johnny Signing
23-24: Fantilli vibes
24-25: Outdoor Game
25-26: We better win the lotto or its gonna be a rough summer for the reps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad