Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He also believes what we all should believe. That prospects shouldn’t be rushed. Let them earn the job before clearing space for it.

We can all say that but so far the only thing Wads has done for the D is clear space.

We'll have to see if he brings anyone else in, and what side they play. If he doesn't bring in anyone who is right-side capable, then it's obvious he's making room for Jiricek, who at this point hasn't earned an NHL job.

Reactions: Indy18

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
yeah the Don is too simple and obvious, gotta keep it creative
1719883891167.jpeg

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Some of you would be much happier if you assumed the plan is to tank this year and get one more core piece before trying to compete.

Honestly, as a generally pro-tank guy, this is getting kind of old. Johnson/Sillinger/Ceuelemans in 2021. Jiricek/Mateychuk in 2022. Fantilli in 2023. Lindstrom (though 2-3 years away) this year.

Seven first rounders since 2021, six of which came in the top 12.

Gaudreau is already on his 4th coach here. We've wasted away two of the seven seasons he signed for.

On paper, at the moment, this team is destined for a top 5 pick again, but...I'm not sure what the plan is. D-Wad is saying Monahan might be the #1 center over Fantilli.

There's still time, I suppose. In theory, Laine could get dealt. Maybe with better coaching they get to 75 points next season?

interesting that Roslovic has went unsigned so far. curious to see where Jack ends up

No Adam Boqvist on the list? Lol

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
*Puts on bullet proof vest*

You all know...if we still need to round out the roster Cam is still there for a 1x1.5

But for real Schmidt and maybe Tarasenko are about the only interest I have left remaining in FA.

Reactions: Viqsi

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
An LHD? One who can play third pairing minutes? One who can shut down the opposition?

I think the problem is that this would improve the defense too much too quickly. The last thing this team needs is to miss the playoffs but be a mid-range team, picking 14th in each round.
Look around the conference and league and then tell me that's in the remotest realm of possibility. This is a bottom three roster and it isn't particularly close. [insert defensive LHD born pre-1997 here] isn't changing that.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We can all say that but so far the only thing Wads has done for the D is clear space.

We'll have to see if he brings anyone else in, and what side they play. If he doesn't bring in anyone who is right-side capable, then it's obvious he's making room for Jiricek, who at this point hasn't earned an NHL job.
As a guy who was drafted top 10 and has spent 2 years in the minors he should be ready to move into NHL duty. He got jerked around enough last year and seemed to play strongly in the AHL playoffs. If anyone deserves the opportunity he should be due to take it. Mateychuk should not be gifted a spot. He needs to earn it with his limited pro experience.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As a guy who was drafted top 10 and has spent 2 years in the minors he should be ready to move into NHL duty. He got jerked around enough last year and seemed to play strongly in the AHL playoffs. If anyone deserves the opportunity he should be due to take it. Mateychuk should not be gifted a spot. He needs to earn it with his limited pro experience.

So by "not gifting spots" you really mean "not gifting spots unless the guy has draft pedigree and has been in the AHL for two years". That's a different standard for me.

Jiricek was classic Jiricek in the playoffs. He has game changing scoring ability at that level but his defense was still not good enough. I don't think he's ready.

In the Fall Mateychuk simply might be better than Jiricek, it isn't just a question of how much AHL experience they have. To me gifting a spot would be putting a guy on the roster who isn't ready enough.

Reactions: CBJx614

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So by "not gifting spots" you really mean "not gifting spots unless the guy has draft pedigree and has been in the AHL for two years". That's a different standard for me.

Jiricek was classic Jiricek in the playoffs. He has game changing scoring ability at that level but his defense was still not good enough. I don't think he's ready.

In the Fall Mateychuk simply might be better than Jiricek, it isn't just a question of how much AHL experience they have. To me gifting a spot would be putting a guy on the roster who isn't ready enough.
I think what I'm trying to say is that both players should be given the opportunity to earn a spot but Jiricek should be closer because he is more experienced. We'll sign at least one more guy on D and who knows what trades may bring.

I do think Mateychuck does need to show more because he has literally only a few games of pro experience while Jiricek has 47 NHL games. Jiricek "should" be more prepared to play in this league. They both need to earn it.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Assuming Laine stays

Gaudreau - Monahan - Marchenko
Laine - Fantilli - Chinakhov
Johnson - Jenner - Sillinger
Danforth - Voronkov - Kuraly / Olivier

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Jiricek
Gudbranson - Mateychuk

Elvis
Tarasov

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Trying to think outside the box for a D-man on the third pairing left side, assuming Schmidt is gone and all the UFA options are dried up.

There are numerous teams above the cap or brushing right up against it who could be ripe for the picking of a player for very cheap or nothing at all. In saying that, I'm mostly looking for short term (1-2 years left) and shutdown ability. So, lets see some options.

Washington: Trevor van Riemsdyk
Vegas: Brayden McNabb, Nic Hague
Edmonton: Brett Kulak
Minnesota: Jon Merrill
Nashville: Dante Fabbro, Jeremy Lauzon

Not sure of fit or any of their analytical numbers but these are the guys who stuck out for me as potential "cheap" adds. My main targets from here IMO would be McNabb, Hague, or Kulak.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Trying to think outside the box for a D-man on the third pairing left side, assuming Schmidt is gone and all the UFA options are dried up.

There are numerous teams above the cap or brushing right up against it who could be ripe for the picking of a player for very cheap or nothing at all. In saying that, I'm mostly looking for short term (1-2 years left) and shutdown ability. So, lets see some options.

Washington: Trevor van Riemsdyk
Vegas: Brayden McNabb, Nic Hague
Edmonton: Brett Kulak
Minnesota: Jon Merrill
Nashville: Dante Fabbro, Jeremy Lauzon

Not sure of fit or any of their analytical numbers but these are the guys who stuck out for me as potential "cheap" adds. My main targets from here IMO would be McNabb, Hague, or Kulak.
McNabb or Hague I think would be a very solid pick-up.

Last edited:

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
When it comes to Patrik Laine

Anaheim Ducks are actually under the salary cap floor as of now. Pat Verbeek was quiet on the first day of free agency but he has said that "he plans to add a top-four defenseman and a top-six winger, both right-handed shots ideally".

They have the need, the space to take the whole contract...

I think it would make sense.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
When it comes to Patrik Laine

Anaheim Ducks are actually under the salary cap floor as of now. Pat Verbeek was quiet on the first day of free agency but he has said that "he plans to add a top-four defenseman and a top-six winger, both right-handed shots ideally".

They have the need, the space to take the whole contract...

I think it would make sense.
What would the return be for Laine? What do the Ducks have to make it the hockey trade that Waddell wants?

By the way, if Vegas are dumping Pietrangelo, Anaheim can afford his entire deal too.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I'm aware of that, it is a phenomenal number of points.

Rather than assuming it I'll let you tell me the point you're making.

The point is you saying, "he hasn't earned the job". 100 games in the AHL is earning it a lot more than Mateychuk or any other defensive prospects.

Look at other d-men:

Provorov-NHL debut 20 years old-zero AHL games
Werenski-NHL debut 19 years old-7 AHL games
Gudbranson-NHL debut-19 years old-zero AHL games
Severson-NHL debut 20 years old-2 AHL games

How did these younger guys "earn" their shot?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
68 pts in 100 AHL games as a teenage defenseman is phenomenal.
If Jiriceks goal is to win the Norris, he's got a good chance, if he's trying to be a competent two way top pairing D, he should probably play some more in the AHL and work on his defensive ability.

I will say that if he's in the NHL, he needs the PP time to get him going.. Having him in the NHL and just playing 5v5 was a mistake last season.

The point is you saying, "he hasn't earned the job". 100 games in the AHL is earning it a lot more than Mateychuk or any other defensive prospects.

Look at other d-men:

Provorov-NHL debut 20 years old-zero AHL games
Werenski-NHL debut 19 years old-7 AHL games
Gudbranson-NHL debut-19 years old-zero AHL games
Severson-NHL debut 20 years old-2 AHL games

How did these younger guys "earn" their shot?
It's not that he's not earning it, his defensive play is questionable, he's not strong enough and his positioning is suspect.

Offensively he's without a doubt a force. But what does that mean if he's a liability in his own end?

Reactions: majormajor

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It's not that he's not earning it, his defensive play is questionable, he's not strong enough and his positioning is suspect.

Offensively he's without a doubt a force. But what does that mean if he's a liability in his own end?

The comment wasn't "He's not ready", it was "He hasn't earned it", as if he was a slacker just handed a job when it's 180 degrees the opposite. They are making him earn it at Cleveland and he has.

If he's not ready, fine. But if he gets the job, he's earned it more than any of the 4 current defenseman.

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad