Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Its less so about the kids we picked and more about what Waddell wants in his team going forward. He talked the talk and walked the walk. The man wants good skaters.

Does that mean theres no room for Jiricek or anybody who isnt a great skater? Nah. But I just thought I would throw it out there.
I thought about Jiricek too. But the question I asked myself was if it wasn't applying a bit of pressure, making it clear what he needs to work on to make the roster.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I wonder if a deal could still get worked out for Necas.
If they sign to keep Guentzel, the price drops a bit on Necas because they'll need to move him. Just like when Jarmo traded Bjorkstrand.

Wait it out a couple of days and it might be a pretty good deal. If they end up losing Guentzel then Necas probably doesn't go anywhere. It's sort of a waiting game right now on who might blink first depending on what different deal structures were discussed.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Unless I don't understand. middle six implies 2nd and 3rd lines. So in that case his potential is 2nd line. I don't see that. I see him topping at 3C.
I personally agree with your assessment. But I've heard people talk about him as if he could be a 2C , so I thought middle 6 would maybe be fairer. It would then roughly mean 2C or 3C on a team with bad or good center depth, respectively.

Reactions: EspenK

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Why not? If the Jackets already know what his deal would be and they were comfortable with it then why not get him if possible? Only problem I see is we don't have guys Carolina would want.
I think the Necas deal is probably better to happen than most of the UFA’s listed. Contract terms were worked out just the pick needs tweaking and obvious interest from the CBJ. Also obvious he doesn’t want to stay in Carolina.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thought some more about Necas.

Add him for some combination of Laine(some retained), Sillinger, Jenner, KJ, prospects and draft choices.

He can play 2C until Lindstrom is ready and would allow Lindstrom to ease in as a W.

Strengthens team for next season.

Gives long term flexibility at C and W.

Adds speed to lineup.

I'm not sure what the drawback would be.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There are a couple of other ways he can do that further. Patrik Laine and the Blue Jackets have mutually agreed to trade Laine this summer, and they’ll likely do everything they can to facilitate that. There’s also the specter of a buyout for fourth-line wingers Mathieu Olivier and Justin Danforth.

Asked if the Blue Jackets planned any contract buyouts by the 5 p.m. deadline on Sunday, Waddell was surprisingly noncommittal.

“Decision in the morning (on Sunday),” Waddell said in a text conversation with The Athletic.

• Wow
Reactions: LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He's a very skilled one-on-one player with some poor details in his game. Doesn't forecheck well or defend well.

So adding him accentuates the character of the team as is.

He'd certainly make the team better relative to doing nothing, I think Necas is a good player overall, but it's not our best move and we'd be locked into it long term.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm going to hope Porty just misunderstood something.

That or I'm going to be joining the Fire Waddell party earlier than I expected.

Olivier and Danforth make a million each and have good results as a line with Kuraly. They're not the ones getting outscored. Those two seem to possess great determination and leadership qualities.

We do need to make space for character vets, so we should do that by moving out players who aren't character vets.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Add him for some combination of Laine(some retained), Sillinger, Jenner, KJ, prospects and draft choices.

He can play 2C until Lindstrom is ready and would allow Lindstrom to ease in as a W.

Adds speed to lineup.

The primary drawback is that he's not a center.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

For Laine sure. Don’t want to trade KJ or Sillinger tbh.
Can he?

Adds speed to lineup.

I’m not sure he can be a C.

Reminds me of Domi-Anderson trade when we got back 2C Max Domi. Necas > Domi though.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad