Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Believe it or not, the Jackets are actually recognized league-wide for having built a technically-savvy and analytics-focused front office. The on-ice product doesn’t usually work out, but the personnel on the office side is in place. I’m not surprised at all that a team that employs Josh Flynn has this sort of thing in-house already.
Oh cool. Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
I find it hilarious that only a handful of teams have a cap friendly set up in house and that the CBJ are one of them. We always joke that the CBJ front office isn't the most competent around, yet somehow they have this already set up. I am baffled how this isn't standard protocol. Like wouldn't you need this info to compare cap space for trades?

CBJ cap workstation

810tsaaamee71.jpg

:sarcasm:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
@Aaaarrgghh I do not think we need to trade Gudbranson, he played well in the last season. But honestly we need one hard d-man. I prefer to trade Severson.

Werenski, Boqvist
Provorov, Gudbranson
xxx, Jiříček (frankly, he will play)

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
@Aaaarrgghh I do not think we need to trade Gudbranson, he played well in the last season. But honestly we need one hard d-man. I prefer to trade Severson.

Werenski, Boqvist
Provorov, Gudbranson
xxx, Jiříček (frankly, he will play)
I wouldn't be against moving Severson either. Like Gudbranson, he is overpaid and has too much term. However, unlike Gudbranson, he can also be a highly competent defenseman if utilised correctly. My post was written from the perspective of trying to improving the team defense for next year. Moving Gudbranson would do a whole lot more than moving Severson.

With that said, if they get an reasonably experienced LD with size who can play on the PK, like Brenden Dillon, I will probably be satisfied. Moving Gudbranson or Severson would realistically be too expensive and Gudbranson's deal will hopefully not get in the way too much.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I wouldn't be against moving Severson either. Like Gudbranson, he is overpaid and has too much term. However, unlike Gudbranson, he can also be a highly competent defenseman if utilised correctly. My post was written from the perspective of trying to improving the team defense for next year. Moving Gudbranson would do a whole lot more than moving Severson.

With that said, if they get an reasonably experienced LD with size who can play on the PK, like Brenden Dillon, I will probably be satisfied. Moving Gudbranson or Severson would realistically be too expensive and Gudbranson's deal will hopefully not get in the way too much.
I think Gudbranson deserved his salary last season. Besides playing great in SH, he's a tough player. There's no reason to trade him now.

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
To me, it really is a problem that we basically dont have a first pairing right D. And we need one to improve defensively and get a balanced D-core.

Boqvist - 2nd or 3rd pair RD, but always injured.
Gudbranson - 3rd pair D.
Severson - 2nd pair D at best.
Jiricek - Young and developing. Should play ideally in 3rd pair, but 2nd pair is fine if everything clicks and his D-partner is good enough.

I think we should try to trade Boqvist and Gudbranson and with other moves, try to acquire 1st pair RD, so that we can slot Severson to 2nd pair and Jiricek to 3rd pair.

Werenski - X
X -Severson
X - Jiricek

This just to make sense of our RD situation.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
If they acquired a shutdown D like Dillon, this team defense should improve greatly.

There's no one on this team that plays defense at a high level where you would consider it their strength. Werenski is a rover who can create offense and then be absolutely abysmal in his own zone. Severson is actually fairly impressive offensively but equally mind numbing on the back end. Provorov has stretches where you think he's a good defenseman but his brain dead defensive plays make you change your thoughts quickly.

No team is taking Severson. That contract was and is an albatross from the moment Jarmo signed it. The only hope is that he improves under a better coach/system.

Those are your 3 "best" defensemen. This is not a competitive d core that can keep pucks out of the net, I don't care who is in goal.

Hopefully Waddell realizes Jarmo's puck moving D core needs to be scrapped.

Unfortunately Jiricek and Mateychuk and seemingly more of the same PMD who aren't great defensively. The book is still out on both of them but I want neither near this team unless they seriously impress in training camp.

Make defensemen plays defense again. Novel idea, I know.

Reactions: Viqsi and koteka

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Looking at Porty's article, I wonder if we end up with one of Carolina's UFA defensemen. Skjei, for example.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
You laugh, but I've legit gotten good work out of hardware of that generation - and earlier - to this present day.

Admittedly, tho, I probably wouldn't have it running Win98.
So many business have critical legacy software still running on Win98 or XP. I used to work for a sandwich chain known for being weirdly quick and the entire backend was still in 98 with no plans of upgrading because of how critical the ancient software was. Shit, we upgraded from push button tape POS to actual touchscreens while I worked there in 2016. I imagine that when private equity bought out the safari-going founder, that was something they upgraded immediately, though.

You'd be shocked, too, what Ticketmaster has going on under the hood. Or maybe not lol.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So many business have critical legacy software still running on Win98 or XP. I used to work for a sandwich chain known for being weirdly quick and the entire backend was still in 98 with no plans of upgrading because of how critical the ancient software was. Shit, we upgraded from push button tape POS to actual touchscreens while I worked there in 2016. I imagine that when private equity bought out the safari-going founder, that was something they upgraded immediately, though.

You'd be shocked, too, what Ticketmaster has going on under the hood. Or maybe not lol.
Right now I'm reliving memories of figuring out ways to manage the ancient MS-DOS machine that ran the voicemail system at my synagogue when I was their everything-technical-or-financial "department". Couldn't replace it with a DOSBox, because the licensing relied on a hardware dongle on the parallel port, and even when we *could* find other machines that actually had parallel ports still, no amount of emulation or passthrough schemes would convince the software we were legit. Researching that problem is how I discovered this wonderful thing existed, for example.

For the most part I don't have to do hardware anymore. I never imagined I would see that as a relief when I was younger, but life takes strange turns sometimes. :D

Anyways, something something hockey a Jackets outdated machine would have been running XP anyways 'cause of when the salary cap was established. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: squashmaple

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I was running Windows 95 on a machine way after I should have been and my super tech friend who founded a couple of IT companies made fun of me. Then one day he decided I was a genius because nobody was writing malware for Windows 95. Then he had me use my Windows 95 box to test some things he developed because he was genuinely curious how they would appear to someone using Windows 95.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I understand I’m in the minority opinion here, but once again, if the team simply held leads last season, maybe more people would believe this retool take. Simply holding half of the leads they f***ed up would’ve gotten them to 35 wins, even with bad D and inconsistent goaltending. Add a couple pieces to help on D, maybe change coaching, and see growth from the plethora of young guys and they aren’t nearly as far away as some make it seem. And even that is without fixing the goaltending right now.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I understand I’m in the minority opinion here, but once again, if the team simply held leads last season, maybe more people would believe this retool take. Simply holding leads would’ve gotten them close to 35 wins, even with bad D and inconsistent goaltending. Add a couple pieces to help on D, maybe change coaching, and see growth from the plethora of young guys and they aren’t nearly as far away as some make it seem. And even that is without fixing the goaltending right now.
This, among many other things, is why I'm quietly going completely batshit f***ing insane over the need for a second-pairing-or-better shutdown blueliner.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Gaudreau - Voronkov - Marchenko
Johnson - Fantilli - Chinakhov
Jenner - Sillinger - Nylander
Texier - Danforth - Olivier

If without trades in offense

Reactions: MoeBartoli and LJ7

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
This, among many other things, is why I'm quietly going completely batshit f***ing insane over the need for a second-pairing-or-better shutdown blueliner.
I'm not gonna go insane about it....

.... Unless we don't do anything about it over the summer.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm trying to avoid it in that scenario as well but it's going to be damnably difficult.
twitch.gif
Honestly, I'm not sure how to feel yet since we really don't know what Waddell is gonna do. Idk whether to expectanything from a draft day blockbuster to starting the season with him on the roster.

I would imagine he would want to make a deal sooner rather than later, but it takes two to tango.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Right now I am on board with whatever Waddell decides to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad