Offseason Roster Discussion part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
You folks do know that Gaudette is a C who played winger last year for the Nucks. Looked lost and said he never played there before.
He told the press it could be doable but he got no camp time at wing and with Covid he got no practice time either.
well who knows then perhaps Gaudette will Center Kaner then...

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
well who knows then perhaps Gaudette will Center Kaner then...
If Gaudette can keep up, I'd welcome it. His skating is the question mark and especially so with his recent weight gain - he has shown flashes of offensive prowess and I like his fortitude. Looking forward to seeing his game.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think the Hawks forwards can be placed in these 3 groups:

1. Know what we have and happy about it: Kane, DCat, Kubalik, Hagel, Johnson, Dach, Kurashev

2. Know what we have and not happy about it: Strome, Connolly, Khaira, Carpenter

3. Unsure what we have and jury is out: Nylander, Gaudette, Borgstrom

Some would argue Nylander belongs in Group-2 with Strome but since he missed the entire season I'm hopeful the reset button was pushed and he comes back with more commitment to playing the right way consistently.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Gaudette is not a viable NHL center and the idea of him as Kane's C is absurd

He also is horrible at faceoffs
A lot about him has serious potential to be better. I liked his tenacity and I think he drove to the net a bunch. But the huge leaps of strength he is adding could have big impacts on faceoff and battling improvements in him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

1. Know what we have and happy about it: Kane, DCat, Kubalik, Hagel, Johnson, Dach, Kurashev

Disagree on the bolded

We are far from knowing Kurashev at this point nor should we be happy with the player he currently is

He showed flashes of being a very good player but also struggled alot as rookie. He has alot of development he needs in his game before we know what we have here

Same with Hagel to an extent though overall he was better then Kurashev and showed more

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Kurashev looked really impressive early in the season. That being said he looked burnt out by the halfway mark of the year, which is super understandable. I think he deserves to start this year on atleast the 3rd line. The only problem is theres obviously going to be a ton of competition, so he'll probably have a short leash if he starts tapering off again.

I also really dont like the idea of connolly potentially taking away playing time from guys like Gaudette, Nylander, Kurashev, Carpenter, borgstrom etc. Really hope he isnt starting opening night but i wouldnt be shocked either.

My opening night lines would be this, tons of depth so id prefer it if they rolled 4 lines and eased toews back in rather than throwing him right back to 19 - 20 min a game.

Kubalik - Dach - Johnson
Hagel - Borgstrom - Kane
Kurashev - Toews - Cat
Khaira - Carpy - Gaudette

Last edited:

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Any reason to move DeBrincat to right wing and Kubalik to left wing?
As far as the wingers go i wasnt too worried about making sure they were on their natural side. Ive seen them play on both sides so no big deal.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019

2. Know what we have and not happy about it: Strome, Connolly, Khaira, Carpenter

Some would argue Nylander belongs in Group-2 with Strome but since he missed the entire season I'm hopeful the reset button was pushed and he comes back with more commitment to playing the right way consistently.
Bolded: I am happy, Carpenter is 4th liner and good at it.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Beg to differ:

- Dach is good, but can he reach VG/excellent/near-elite status that #3 OA suggests?
- Kurashev surprised (jumped his timetable), but he needs to improve and be more consistent
- Carpenter is fine (as in good)
- Khiara: who knows? Too early to put him in the rubbish bin

Additional points:

Hagel had a VG rookie year. But will he get better? I agree though, if he stays the same, I'm happy with him. But a Cat-like improvement would be great.

Toews is obviously a huge unknown too. We need to hit on that latter group.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Capfriendly has Ottawa at 52M (I have no idea if they have anyone significant to sign to change this) and the floor is 61M.

Strome’s actual $$$ for this year is all via bonus which I believe has already been paid out. That could be a valuable for Ottawa to add given how cheap their owner is.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Capfriendly has Ottawa at 52M (I have no idea if they have anyone significant to sign to change this) and the floor is 61M.

Strome’s actual $$$ for this year is all via bonus which I believe has already been paid out. That could be a valuable for Ottawa to add given how cheap their owner is.
Tkachuk and batherson rfa’s of note for them to still sign

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Beg to differ:

- Dach is good, but can he reach VG/excellent/near-elite status that #3 OA suggests?
- Kurashev surprised (jumped his timetable), but he needs to improve and be more consistent
- Carpenter is fine (as in good)
- Khiara: who knows? Too early to put him in the rubbish bin

Additional points:

Hagel had a VG rookie year. But will he get better? I agree though, if he stays the same, I'm happy with him. But a Cat-like improvement would be great.

Toews is obviously a huge unknown too. We need to hit on that latter group.
I hope it won't be the case but to play devils advocate: Or did Hagel overachieve last season and his game will return to all hustle but with little to show for it. I don't think he was that highly rated previous to his time in Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad