Offseason Roster Discussion part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I guess I will continue to stand out on this ledge with the following things:

I am a firm believer that Borgstrom is going to get a legit shot to succeed here. How legit? I again will say I think he starts off with Kane to see what he can do. I like his size, his hands, his creativity as well as his left shot. In order to really make that click, you need a puck hound on that line- enter Hagel. Fresh off a nice 3 year deal, what better way to earn in than doing the dog shit work on a line with HOFer Kane! Hagel would work well on this line as he would create enough havoc on the ice to help create space for Kane...plus, Hagel is more offensively gifted than many give credit for, he could really perform well here.

Hagel - Borgstrom - Kane

Next up is the Dach line. As much as I want Kane and Cat and was a big proponent of both together despite many bitching on here over 2 top 10 scoring wingers in the game, setting him with his futre might make the most sense. We have to imagine Cat and Dach will be our future 1-2 punch once Kane is reduced in a role (who the hell knows when that will be, Kane might play forever!). But, it still make sense to put these two together. Now, you have a couple options here with who to work with them. Johnson is my logical choice (Kurashev the other) since he could provide that two way support those 2 would really need. I also like Johnson with Toews, but if a healthy Toews out the gate, I say line him up with these 2 and watch him produce some numbers.

DeBrincat - Dach - Johnson

This third line or however you want to deploy them would allow Toews some time to get back and get acclimated again to the speed of the game. Taking an entire year off isn't easy to come back at 33 years old. I like the combo of Kubalik and Toews and think they could do very well together here. The other side is the wild card for me- Nylander/Strome. If we don't trade Strome away, he has to be in the lineup somewhere, and playing here might be his best bet. I really want Nylander to get a solid 20-30 games playing top 9 to see what he can do...If anyone can get Nylander to play consistent, maybe the Captain can...either way I like the line and what it could do.

Kubalik - Toews - Nylander/Strome

And that 4th line is what it is- pretty solid if Kurashev is truly on that line. Both he and Carps can play center, and another wild card Gaudette can play center as well, but I believe is best suited for the wing. This line could be something, spark starting kind of line. They have skill, won't be terrible in their own zone as well. Hardman is the other wild card here that might force his way onto this line. If Strome makes the team, then I can't see Nylander dropping down to here like he did before, we have too many bodies as is..but I like this line and what it is capable of.

Kurashev - Carpenter - Gaudette/Hardman

Overall, I have tweaked my lines up a bit, we all know nothing is static, but the below lines I would like to see out the gate and will stand firm on the belief that if these are the guys we are icing, this is the best option for them.

Hagel - Borgstrom - Kane
DeBrincat - Dach - Johnson
Kubalik - Toews - Nylander/Strome
Kurashev - Carpenter - Gaudette/Hardman/Khaira

Good lines, good, in-depth rationale.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I don’t like how small the Cat/Johnson line is. Switch Johnson with the Strome/Nylander dilemma.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Borgstrom/Hagel/Kane is one of the worst first lines in hockey. I agree that Borgstrom will be given an opportunity to play top 9 - Chicago isn’t paying Connollys contract for fun - but he and Hagel are not playing on the top line.

Also, after Nylander lights up the preseason, when real hockey starts he will be in the press box.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Looking ahead to next season and the 2022 draft, Chicago owes Columbus their first so obviously I want them to make playoffs and win, but as for the rest of the draft I see Chicago has three 3rd rounders nine of which are their own…Edmonton Vegas and Toronto…Edmonton’s pick could be up graded to a 2nd if they win the Western Conference so at best it could be a 63rd or 64th overall…then they have Columbus 6th…
So I’m hoping all four do poorly…even Edmonton because their in Chicago’s conference although if they beat Chicago in the conference finals, I’d take that

so basically Edmonton at 63/64 then Vegas or Toronto at 65 and 66 would be awesome then Columbus at 163rd…just saying

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Borgstrom/Hagel/Kane is one of the worst first lines in hockey. I agree that Borgstrom will be given an opportunity to play top 9 - Chicago isn’t paying Connollys contract for fun - but he and Hagel are not playing on the top line.

Also, after Nylander lights up the preseason, when real hockey starts he will be in the press box.

With this kind of foresight, can you tell us what would be the best line for the Hawks? Thanks. We can pass it on to Colliton. :sarcasm:

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Honestly i got brain fatigue from thinking about the lines all the time.

There are just way too many options this year, even more so than before. Every time i come to a combo i like, there is something that alternates it.

Plus Borgstrom, Nylander, Gaudette, Strome, (Reichel) are true wild cards. If they turn out they will make our line sick. But if the inconistency/soft play stays who the hell knows.

One thing i like is that with Carpenter and Khaira, Stan brought in some safety nets for the grinder aspects should the kids falter. But i definitely see a legitimate possibility for 4 good lines this time finally. Hope we utulize it.

Cant wait for camp to see who plays with whom. But this year is going to be extra blendery.

UncleElroy

Can Stan
Jun 22, 2021
Looking ahead to next season and the 2022 draft, Chicago owes Columbus their first so obviously I want them to make playoffs and win, but as for the rest of the draft I see Chicago has three 3rd rounders nine of which are their own…Edmonton Vegas and Toronto…Edmonton’s pick could be up graded to a 2nd if they win the Western Conference so at best it could be a 63rd or 64th overall…then they have Columbus 6th…
So I’m hoping all four do poorly…even Edmonton because their in Chicago’s conference although if they beat Chicago in the conference finals, I’d take that

so basically Edmonton at 63/64 then Vegas or Toronto at 65 and 66 would be awesome then Columbus at 163rd…just saying
Did you just say you’d take losing in the conference finals for a 2nd round pick?

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Cat-Dach-Kane----Dach provides some size, the rest do the scoring.
Hagel-Towes-Kubalik----Toews and Kubalik looked like they had good mojo together and Hagel will be that great, worker bee that compliments the other two
Khaira---Johnson/Borgstrom----Nylander/Connelly----Khaira brings the physical element the other 2 linemates will need. I see this line playing out differently each night unless one combo gets hot.
Kurashev---Carpenter----Gaudette----energy line with some offensive upside.
I fully expect Strome and Subban to be jettisoned.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
With this kind of foresight, can you tell us what would be the best line for the Hawks? Thanks. We can pass it on to Colliton. :sarcasm:
Yeah.....this is what we have been talking about, some folks simply have no clue what Hagel can do and is capable of doing.

Imagine thinking the 5th scorer overall on the team isn't a fit with Kane lol. It isn't sexy to look at, and I even stated I am a big Cat/Kane fan..but for the betterment of the team, spreading out that skill might help us out as Kane can work with Suter and Shaw and produce for God's sake.

Hagel is someone that will be able to play both sides of the ice and with tenacity...something that would really help out for Kaner.

Reactions: dougd

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah.....this is what we have been talking about, some folks simply have no clue what Hagel can do and is capable of doing.

Imagine thinking the 5th scorer overall on the team isn't a fit with Kane lol. It isn't sexy to look at, and I even stated I am a big Cat/Kane fan..but for the betterment of the team, spreading out that skill might help us out as Kane can work with Suter and Shaw and produce for God's sake.

Hagel is someone that will be able to play both sides of the ice and with tenacity...something that would really help out for Kaner.

I’d probably start with Hagel on the top line with Toews and Kane to be able to balance the lines out. Also takes some offensive pressure off Toews if he does return in playing with Kane.

In a perfect world Hagel is a top end 3rd liner but we just aren’t that deep. I’m not sure he has the shot to be a bonafide first liner but could be a solid 3rd wheel to a top line like that with how hard he plays.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’d probably start with Hagel on the top line with Toews and Kane to be able to balance the lines out. Also takes some offensive pressure off Toews if he does return in playing with Kane.

In a perfect world Hagel is a top end 3rd liner but we just aren’t that deep. I’m not sure he has the shot to be a bonafide first liner but could be a solid 3rd wheel to a top line like that with how hard he plays.
It honestly depends on how the lines are balanced/look. We don't need to deploy Kane as the top line, I really wasn't either, but typically we know whatever line Kane is on is the driving line offensively for us.

Toews getting a slower build up might also be the best thing, putting him with Kane might be too much out the gate..we will see how he looks if he is out there in camp.

This whole thing also depends on Borgstrom making that jump...if he looks like shit, then all bets are off.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It honestly depends on how the lines are balanced/look. We don't need to deploy Kane as the top line, I really wasn't either, but typically we know whatever line Kane is on is the driving line offensively for us.

Toews getting a slower build up might also be the best thing, putting him with Kane might be too much out the gate..we will see how he looks if he is out there in camp.

This whole thing also depends on Borgstrom making that jump...if he looks like shit, then all bets are off.

Wonder if a Kubalik-Borgstrom-Kane line could work. Not sure how I feel about it, but hadn’t considered that combo yet I don’t think. Kane has always played really well with tall centers and Borgstrom is certainly that.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Wonder if a Kubalik-Borgstrom-Kane line could work. Not sure how I feel about it, but hadn’t considered that combo yet I don’t think. Kane has always played really well with tall centers and Borgstrom is certainly that.
I mean...shit, anything is possible. We are deeper than last year, there is no denying that....just have a lot of unproven depth in guys like Borgstrom, Gaudette, Hardman, Kurashev, Reichel, Nylander, etc...

I like the amount of competition we have, very few spots are safe right now, and still a move or two can be made..

As for the taller center thing, I agree- I think Kane can do really well with Borgstrom if his head can match his hands. We all know how Kane made Handzus look- and AA who was clearly losing a step still produced decently with Kaner. So, going with a bigger kid like that with skill seems like the most logical start if we don't want to just have a loaded top 6 and weaker bottom 6- which still could be the option...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I mean...shit, anything is possible. We are deeper than last year, there is no denying that....just have a lot of unproven depth in guys like Borgstrom, Gaudette, Hardman, Kurashev, Reichel, Nylander, etc...

I like the amount of competition we have, very few spots are safe right now, and still a move or two can be made..

As for the taller center thing, I agree- I think Kane can do really well with Borgstrom if his head can match his hands. We all know how Kane made Handzus look- and AA who was clearly losing a step still produced decently with Kaner. So, going with a bigger kid like that with skill seems like the most logical start if we don't want to just have a loaded top 6 and weaker bottom 6- which still could be the option...

I think it will all depend on how much Borgstrom is willing to play along the boards if he’s with Kane. It doesn’t sound like it’s his strong suit but I’m also not getting Strome levels of sissyness from what I’ve read either. Time will tell.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Hopefully, Borgstrom seizes the day (apologies for the cliche). Flippin' golden opportunity.

Beyond Borgstrom, Nylander and Gaudette, huge uncertainty about Toews. Guessing Bowman is holding onto Strome until he knows (or has a much better feel) about Toews' status.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Hagel kind of gives me those Killorn vibes.. plays in the top 6 and performs/helps his line but not someone youd expect in the top 6

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
You folks do know that Gaudette is a C who played winger last year for the Nucks. Looked lost and said he never played there before.
He told the press it could be doable but he got no camp time at wing and with Covid he got no practice time either.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
You folks do know that Gaudette is a C who played winger last year for the Nucks. Looked lost and said he never played there before.
He told the press it could be doable but he got no camp time at wing and with Covid he got no practice time either.

The Hawks could make out like bandits here. Thinking the Kraken are going to have egg on their collective face.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hi guys, just wondering what the deal is with Zack Smith? I see that he missed all of last season and is now an UFA. What was his injury or illness that kept him out a full season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad