Official Training Camp Roster Talk - Part II (The Final Stretch)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
So Vey is this years whipping boy... Got it! Let's wait until the regular seasons starts at least, a good portion of the team has been awful in preseason. I'm not a big Vey supporter, but heck, this is a bit much.

yeah how about we wait until vey actually plays an nhl regular season game before spouting opinions

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
So Vey is this years whipping boy... Got it! Let's wait until the regular seasons starts at least, a good portion of the team has been awful in preseason. I'm not a big Vey supporter, but heck, this is a bit much.

I personally do not dislike Linden Vey. I just don't see how he fits in with this team. He's not skilled enough for Top 6, and he's not strong/defensively savvy enough for bottom 6 (although I will admit that he does seem to be working on his defensive game).

For me right now, Vey is coming across as a poor man's Kyle Wellwood (although Vey is in better physical shape). I just think Vey should go down to Utica (he'll clear waivers), and re-discover his game and confidence.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Possible reasons why Adam Cracknell might beat out Jarred McCann for 4th line C

Although I hope McCann wins the 4th line Center spot, I wouldn't rule out Adam Cracknell just yet. Here is why:

1) Potential: Cracknell obviously is "what you see is what you get" at this point, whereas McCann has serious Top 6 potential. However - given the way Benning/WD has structured the 4th line (i.e. A commitment to having two policeman/vets on the wings as opposed to young emerging prospects), one has to wonder:

"Will Jarred McCann be better served making the big club and playing between two plugs in Dorsett and Prust (along with maybe two minutes of 2nd line PP duty), OR, will McCann be better served by going back to Juniors, getting tons of ice-time, and playing in what should be a dominant Top 6 role?"

2) Linden and Benning's old school philosophy. For better or for worse, I think Linden and Benning love the idea of a 4th line consisting of veteran "tough" guys that can play the game of hockey to a certain extent. In Linden's case, he might have fond memories of 1994 where Antoski-McIntyre-Hunter policed the team and made sure that no one even sneezed in the directions of Bure, Ronning, Linden, etc.

The way WD/Benning seem to be structuring their lines, it seems like each line will have a distinct identity:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata = solid scoring line
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen = wildcard kid line
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen = solid shut down line
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett = enforcer line with some hockey skill.

However - if you put Vey or McCann between Prust and Dorsett, what purpose does that line serve? McCann will basically be a one man show trying to generate offense with those two slugs.

I hope McCann makes the team, but I won't be surprised if McCann gets sent back to Juniors after getting in his 9 games.
I would like to see Burr with the Sedins, McCann on the wing with Sutter and Vrbata and Hansen with Crack and Dorsette.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
I would like to see Burr with the Sedins, McCann on the wing with Sutter and Vrbata and Hansen with Crack and Dorsette.

Sutter and Vrbata have extremely incompatible styles of play. Ditto for Sutter and Baertschi. Sutter needs to play with grinders and/or players that excel at the defensive side of the game.

My original idea was Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen, but Benning/WD seem to see things differently.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Sutter and Vrbata have extremely incompatible styles of play. Ditto for Sutter and Baertschi. Sutter needs to play with grinders and/or players that excel at the defensive side of the game.

My original idea was Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen, but Benning/WD seem to see things differently.
McCann is pretty reliable in the d-zone and can be the play maker for Vrbata as well as shoot. McCann looked just fine with Sutter when he was moved up in the 3rd period last night. I would much rather McCann use his skill set with Sutter/Vrbata than waste it on the 4th.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Iain MacIntyre ‏@imacVanSun now2 minutes ago

GM Benning on surprising rookie Ben Hutton: "On any given night, he has been one of our top two or three defencemen.”

I do not think Hutton is getting sent down.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014

GM Benning on surprising rookie Ben Hutton: "On any given night, he has been one of our top two or three defencemen.â€

That's nice to hear. If Hutton stays up however, I hope he gets Top 4 duty and/or tons of ice-time playing his natural left position.

Hutton is also the type of guy that looks like he's capable of quarterbacking our 2nd PP unit.

Lastly - If Hutton proves worthy this season as a Top 4 guy, you can then move Hamhuis at the deadline (for a 1st and B level prospect) without having to worry about our defense being crippled. (Hammer trade obviously occurs if we're out of contention at trade deadline).

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
They'll end up waivibg vey in 3 months when teams are looking for players. Then he'll get claimed and utica will ve worse off than necessary.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The sheer fact that we need to put a player on LTIR to fit in 3 ELC contracts is depressing, with our current team

4 ELCs actually if Hutton is up too. And that's with them already using several million of the bonus cushion to remain compliant. If they stay tight to the cap all year and guys hit some of their bonuses, they'd likely carry over to next year making things even tighter.

I'm honestly not sure how they're even going to have room for a full roster when Higgins and his $2.5M come off LTIR.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
That's nice to hear. If Hutton stays up however, I hope he gets Top 4 duty and/or tons of ice-time playing his natural left position.

Hutton is also the type of guy that looks like he's capable of quarterbacking our 2nd PP unit.

Lastly - If Hutton proves worthy this season as a Top 4 guy, you can then move Hamhuis at the deadline (for a 1st and B level prospect) without having to worry about our defense being crippled. (Hammer trade obviously occurs if we're out of contention at trade deadline).

Here's the thing though.

Hutton is young, he's going to be inconsistent, moving a guy like Hamhuis who you can rely on night in and night out for someone that one game might be your best defenseman and next game can be your worst defenseman is not really appealing to me.

I'd much rather move out Sbisa in this situation and give Hutton time to move up the lineup.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

GM Benning on surprising rookie Ben Hutton: "On any given night, he has been one of our top two or three defencemen.â€

On my phone so I can't link, but Desjardins heaped praise on him as well. Stark contrast to how coolly he talked about having teenagers on the team (Virtanen and McCann)

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Corrado played on the left side in Utica as well as the right. Left in most of the playoffs.

Right, forgot about that.

How was he on the left? Maybe they should try him there to change it up because he hasn't been great so far in his regular position.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
To start the year, I would like to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Burrows-McCann-Hansen
Prust-Sutter-Dorsett
Vey

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Sbisa
Hutton-Weber
Bartkowski

Miller
Markstrom

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I won't be surprised if the Oilers grab Biega if he get's sent down. He'd do well paired with one of their large, stationary defenders.

The great thing about Gaunce, is that he's very unlikely to take this as anything but motivation to continue improving. Hopefully he's shifted to center and gets big minutes in Utica.

The funny thing about the McCann tweet being directed at Gaunce ... who would actually taunt a guy like Gaunce? He seems like an extremely likable character. Sort of like yelling at a happy well behaved dog.

Glad to hear that the two juniors and Hutton are still with the team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Left
Edler
Hamhuis
Hutton
Sbisa (can play right)
Bartkowski (can play right)

Right
Tanev
Weber
Corrado
(Biega)

The thing is...they tried the Sbisa-Hutton thing, and it was...actually not bad.

I think Bartkowski w/Hamhuis and the Sbisa-Hutton pairing was kind of indicative of the fact they're trying to piece this unit together in a way that fits.

Hammer-Bart was a fail. Didn't look good together at all. Hamhuis-Sbisa looked better.

Really, Corrado coming in and laying another turd of a camp is putting a big cramp on their "best roster" options. Very disappointing.

I think more realistically, it breaks down like:

LH Locks:
-Edler.
-Hamhuis.

RH Locks:
-Tanev.

After that...

You've got Sbisa who like it or not, is gonna be in the lineup. I'd have penciled him in as a LH lock, but he can play either side.

Bartkowski...i think they're still gonna want to get him in the lineup, but given where he's weakest...makes for a terrible fit with Hutton (or Weber) in that all three are very poor in physical aspects of the game and crease-clearing. So you try Sbisa with Hutton and it works...maybe that's something. But Hamhuis-Bart looked like crap.

So idk...do they try Bart-Hutton next game and see if that fits?

Or do they go balls in and try Hamhuis-Hutton and see how deep this kids skills can go?

If Hamhuis-Hutton works...throw Sbisa-Bart out there 3rd pairing, Weber spells in, Corrado spells in i guess (if he's not in the minors again)...if Hutton can play at that level, yeeehaw let's ride it.

Biggest problem with this blueline is that we've got a guy who is important for his ability to skate with and physically handle a lot of NHL forwards defensively, but is best when he's never ever asked to move the puck, unless he's got a total gimmee. And any combo of the remaining "bottom-4 types" are basically physical liabilities/liabilities in coverage around the all important net area.

Really curious to see what rolls out tomorrow on the blueline...

i'm hoping for Hamhuis-Hutton.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i like that sbisa can play either side not because he's versatile, but because distinguishing between two train wrecks is impossible

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
i like that sbisa can play either side not because he's versatile, but because distinguishing between two train wrecks is impossible
LOL!!! This. A thousand times this.

It's such a shame that Luca Sbisa exists on this club, because without him, the defence actually makes a lot of sense.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartkowski - Hutton
Biega

Each of these 7 deserves his spot on the club, and each would be a positive force and influence in his own way.

Instead, we have to either send Hutton down undeservedly, or expose Biega on a waiver wire where he would almost surely be claimed. All because Luca Sbisa exists on this team.

And I mean, I think Sbisa has actually shown decently in his last two pre-season games. Wasn't the trainwreck liability that we've grown accustomed to. But he was exactly that in his first two preseason appearances, and we're all too expecting that he'll return to it more often than not in the regular season.

edit: and I completely forgot Frankie Corrado, who hasn't played well this pre-season, but is still of value to the club.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

The important part at this point, is "train".

He moves fast, he hits hard, and he isn't going to be diverted.

Which, we've heard endlessly about how everything is Sbisa's fault and his contract is definitely stupid...But...he's the only guy outside of Edler-Tanev, maybe Hamhuis that i have any confidence in being able to handle physical play from the big boys AND speed.

Weber is embarrassing against physical play. Bartkowski is kinda...a floater defensively. His speed is great and very apparent, but defensively he's shown tons of taking a lap instead of engaging physically. Corrado...he really struggles in containing players physically, not sure why he's not using his speed smarts positioning to deal with that issue more...but it's been a consistent theme through camp, and around the net is just bad. Hutton has the raw size, and seems to have the poise and smarts to often keep himself out of those situations, but he's still not quite there yet and he's been muscled off of some pucks even in his excellent preseason and the net front thing isn't exactly his forte. I'd be scared to pair him up with any of the above...who also struggle with the physical side of the game.

You can call till the cows come home about how bad Sbisa contract is, and how he has some "errors" in his game...but outside of him...that bottom-4 is small, and/or very non-physical.

Part of why i always hated bringing Weber back over someone else with more diversified skillset and size. Because the way it stands...you want to fit that RH PP shot into the powerplay i guess...but he's a liablity in the physical side of things, along with pretty much the entire rest of our bottom-4 defence. Hamhuis being "capable" but far from a guy who can solely handle an entire pairings worth of physical presence. Bringing Weber back, immediately meant forcing Sbisa up the depth chart due to the specificity of his skillset, to counterbalance what Weber does not bring.

It's where i think the difference between "physical presence" as a "hitter" and as a "handler" is very apparent.

And i think that's where the whole Sbisa-Hutton idea comes from...and the Hamhuis-Bartkowski as well. If that works, great, you've got your pairings. But the Hammer-Bart pairing looked so disjointed, i think you've gotta find another option.

I still think our defence is missing one key top-4 type piece...and i *****ed and moaned endlessly about how Ehrhoff was that piece before he was signed. And i think something like that would have really solidified the defence...But here we are...and as it stands, Sbisa is the only real "physical presence" of any kind in our d-corps. So there it is...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
LOL!!! This. A thousand times this.

It's such a shame that Luca Sbisa exists on this club, because without him, the defence actually makes a lot of sense.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartkowski - Hutton
Biega

Each of these 7 deserves his spot on the club, and each would be a positive force and influence in his own way.

Instead, we have to either send Hutton down undeservedly, or expose Biega on a waiver wire where he would almost surely be claimed. All because Luca Sbisa exists on this team.

And I mean, I think Sbisa has actually shown decently in his last two pre-season games. Wasn't the trainwreck liability that we've grown accustomed to. But he was exactly that in his first two preseason appearances, and we're all too expecting that he'll return to it more often than not in the regular season.

edit: and I completely forgot Frankie Corrado, who hasn't played well this pre-season, but is still of value to the club.

I'd agree with you somewhat....but the only problem Sbisa is about the only physical d-man they have....without him, they're as soft as butter.... group got manhandled last year by the Flames and even with the adds of Bartkowski and Hutton, the d-corps is still pretty passive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad