Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Sens fans coming with gifts :poutine: lol. I've actually grown more fond of the Leafs 1) since I moved to TO, and 2) because I despise everything about the Habs. Now I haven't seen many Leafs games, but what exactly do you guys think your achilles heel is for being a playoff contender this year? I would have thought that with the addition of Babcock and the departure of Kessel the team might have found a little spark.
I'm going to say skill.

We traded away our best player, that's kind of a reason not to think the odds are good of making it. Despite the heat Kessel took he produced and set guys up. Adding a really good coach doesn't help the fact that this team is lacking in skill and is made up of a lot of guys that are basically considered trade bait for the deadline.

Not a high end group, learning new systems and trying to eject the giving up mentality that they've had for years now. It's a long term road ahead. The only way the Leafs could make the playoffs is if guys play way above their ability and they get lucky.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Sens fans coming with gifts :poutine: lol. I've actually grown more fond of the Leafs 1) since I moved to TO, and 2) because I despise everything about the Habs. Now I haven't seen many Leafs games, but what exactly do you guys think your achilles heel is for being a playoff contender this year? I would have thought that with the addition of Babcock and the departure of Kessel the team might have found a little spark.

Goal scoring. The team has been surprisingly solid so far, just can't score. Like at all. Regardless, even with more goal scoring they are almost certainly not a playoff team.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
Who has been your best player(s) so far? Bernier seemed a little off from the get go but he had a pretty good game tonight from what I saw.
Also as a side note i'm very jealous you guys have Marner. He's going to be amazing in a few years.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I'm not sure how much to take from this post considering Kessel was brought into this. The guy did make offense on his own and he was really good at setting guys up.

Plus what the suggestion then? If you don't even think that Marner/Nylander/Brown are going to be high end offensive players then we are screwed regardless of whether or not we get Stamkos. Just that if we don't go for him we are a screwed franchise with more cap space.

Doesn't seem like much reason to duck Stamkos.

I liked Kessel while he was here, but I'm sure we can all agree that a contending offense would need to have Kessel as the 2nd or 3rd best member. He did well with the chances he had, but he didn't consistently produce more offensive pressure than his competition. A majority of his points came off counter-attack rushes or the powerplay, and while he was great at both, this style of offense isn't consistent enough to be the driving force on a team. Stamkos plays a similar style, just better and from the center position. He doesn't have much of a defensive/possession game to speak of.

I like what we have with our prospects, but we don't know if they're going to be enough to warrant adding a 'finishing piece' to so to speak. Until we have a better idea of what kind of players they'll be, we should hold off on committing huge sums of money long term.

KGL

Sep 5, 2014
Who has been your best player(s) so far? Bernier seemed a little off from the get go but he had a pretty good game tonight from what I saw.
Also as a side note i'm very jealous you guys have Marner. He's going to be amazing in a few years.

Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, and Winnik have probably been our best players. Phaneuf, Hunwick, Bozak, and JVR have also been good.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
With the compete level and our top 9 looking like this next year, I think we can make the playoffs:

JVR Stamkos Nylander
Mathews Kadri Kapanen
Leipsic Marner Brown

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I just want a top 3 pick this year, preferably #1 overall. Can't wait for Edmonton to win the lottery again. :facepalm:

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, and Winnik have probably been our best players. Phaneuf, Hunwick, Bozak, and JVR have also been good.

I really like JVR, he's got good hockey sense IMO. I really just want to see Ottawa vs. Toronto in the playoffs again. Those battles in the early 2000's were always fun to watch, even if the Sens always lost haha.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
With the compete level and our top 9 looking like this next year, I think we can make the playoffs:

JVR Stamkos Nylander
Mathews Kadri Kapanen
Leipsic Marner Brown

We also need defense and a goalie. No way we sign Stamkos AND draft Matthew. Doing one will make us look at other options than the other.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
We also need defense and a goalie. No way we sign Stamkos AND draft Matthew. Doing one will make us look at other options than the other.

We've given up 10 goals in our last 4 games.6 in our last 3. The system is coming along nicely.

KGL

Sep 5, 2014
I really like JVR, he's got good hockey sense IMO. I really just want to see Ottawa vs. Toronto in the playoffs again. Those battles in the early 2000's were always fun to watch, even if the Sens always lost haha.

They certainly were! We'll likely have to wait a few more years for that excitement though. A prime Rielly vs. prime Karlsson should be very exciting!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

1. There aren't any #1D available in free agency like there might be a #1C available in Stamkos.

2. If you get the 1st overall pick you shouldn't pass on Matthews

If you're lucky enough to get the 1st overall pick, and your plan was to sign Stamkos initially, then draft Matthews, sign Stamkos, and then look to trade away some of the other offensive assets for some defence. Basically what Edmonton should have done for the past couple years.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
1. There aren't any #1D available in free agency like there might be a #1C available in Stamkos.

If you're lucky enough to get the 1st overall pick, and your plan was to sign Stamkos initially, then draft Matthews, sign Stamkos, and then look to trade away some of the other offensive assets for some defence. Basically what Edmonton should have done for the past couple years.

Id go for the jugular when it comes to offensive weapons. We have dmen and a good system.

Gardiner Rielly
Percy Corrado
Harrington Granberg
Marincin Nielson
Loov Hunwick
Phaneuf

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

Stamkos Nylander
Matthews Marner

Terrifying

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Id go for the jugular when it comes to offensive weapons. We have dmen and a good system.

Gardiner Rielly
Percy Corrado
Harrington Granberg
Marincin Nielson
Loov Hunwick

Need another top 2 D for Rielly. So far Gardiner is looking like a solid 3/4 D.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Need another top 2 D for Rielly. So far Gardiner is looking like a solid 3/4 D.

When guys like Korostelev and Tmshov and Bracco start pushing into the top 9, thats when you trade your offence in a package for top d-men.

Thats what I would do.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
We've given up 10 goals in our last 4 games.6 in our last 3. The system is coming along nicely.

Yes. Clearly we can extrapolate the last four games to predict the next 8 years of our franchise.

Montreal will surely win the cup this year. Their .75GAA is unbeatable.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Yes. Clearly we can extrapolate the last four games to predict the next 8 years of our franchise.

Montreal will surely win the cup this year. Their .75GAA is unbeatable.

You've never seen Babcock coached teams before?

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
My list is Matthews, Chychrun, Tkachuk, the Finns

Chychrun will be a #1 Dman imo but you can't miss in the top 5

I completely agree with this - Brown is a pretty firm 6th for me right now as well (I think he'll heat up soon).

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
When guys like Korostelev and Tmshov and Bracco start pushing into the top 9, thats when you trade your offence in a package for top d-men.

Thats what I would do.

We should be able to draft another top D unless the plan gets accelerated or BPA dictates a forward.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Too early to analyze standings, but we should be 2nd last soon when the Ducks and Flames pick it up eventually

Hopefully Torts turns around that mess in Columbus

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Thats what I would do.
You're right.

Toronto has some prospect depth on the backend, but outside of Rielly, they lack a player with top pairing promise. Instead of drafting another defenseman top 5, the Leafs just need to stick to their guns and continue taking mid-to-late round shots in the dark at defenseman. Nielsen, Lindgren, Valiev, and the likes are decent examples. Eventually, one of these shots will score. You have a better chance with defenseman outside of the first round than you do with forwards; it's better to target high-end offensive skill with high-end picks.

If the Leafs feel the need to address the D pool, there will be talent available at Pittsburgh's pick. Think Fabbro (long shot), Green, Bean, McAvoy, Mete, Clague, etc.

Toronto's pick would be best served if it is used on a big skillful winger like Pulju or Tkachuk (assuming Matthews is out of the picture).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad