OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He's saying if they don't win, this season was for naught. And he's not entirely wrong. I don't think it's ruins the season if they don't win the cup, but if they get bounced in 4 straight by Florida, it would be a disappointment.

Besides, you do realize he's trolling right? Even if they did lose. it's good for his show.
Dude, I don’t know about you but I e enjoyed this season unlike anything I’ve ever watched. If they don’t win, I’m ok with it. I’ve been entertained all season. I remember complaining about the entertainment value they were putting on the ice. We all know a hot goaltender can screw things up. This playoff time is all gravy for me.

• Love
Reactions: RoccoF14 and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Dude, I don’t know about you but I e enjoyed this season unlike anything I’ve ever watched. If they don’t win, I’m ok with it. I’ve been entertained all season. I remember complaining about the entertainment value they were putting on the ice. We all know a hot goaltender can screw things up. This playoff time is all gravy for me.
Completely agree with everything you said.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1681520269296.png

WEEI is closing its Rhode Island operations. The Boston-based sports radio station has had a presence in Rhode Island for nearly two decades — now, no more.

Employees were told about the closure this week via email.

WEEI was located on Kilvert Sreet in Warwick.

Once the dominant sports radio station in New England, WEEI has fallen a distant second to the Sports Hub.

In the fall rating books, Sports Hub finished first overall in the Nielsen Audio ratings in the men 25-54 demographic with a 19.6 share.

WEEI in Rhode Island has been up and down. For a few years, it wrestled away the radio rights for Providence College Basketball, only to lose it back to Cumulus.

With both the Red Sox and Patriots down, ratings and advertising dollars have been impacted.

WEEI did not answer the phone in the Warwick office in an effort to get comment.

It is expected that Audacy will sell the 103.7 signal to Educational Media Foundation to expand the reach of K-Love Radio.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
View attachment 688684

WEEI is closing its Rhode Island operations. The Boston-based sports radio station has had a presence in Rhode Island for nearly two decades — now, no more.

Once the dominant sports radio station in New England, WEEI has fallen a distant second to the Sports Hub.

In the fall rating books, Sports Hub finished first overall in the Nielsen Audio ratings in the men 25-54 demographic with a 19.6 share.

WEEI in Rhode Island has been up and down. For a few years, it wrestled away the radio rights for Providence College Basketball, only to lose it back to Cumulus.

With both the Red Sox and Patriots down, ratings and advertising dollars have been impacted.

WEEI did not answer the phone in the Warwick office in an effort to get comment.

It is expected that Audacy will sell the 103.7 signal to Educational Media Foundation to expand the reach of K-Love Radio.
They get what they deserve.

Was Entercom. Lets buy a failing business and call it Audacity.

What a terrible business move and obnoxious name

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Entercom never asked the #1 question. Why did CBS want to get out of the radio business????

EMF will buy any decent signal they can as they know listeners will donate $$$$$$.

Just today

Educational Media Foundation is purchasing “Seacoast Oldies” 92.1 WXEX-FM Sanford ME and 1540 WXEX/97.1 W246BP Exeter and 107.5 W298CU Chester (with CP to move to 101.5) from Port Broadcasting for $690,000.

Port will retain Standards “The Legends” 1220 WWSF/104.3 W282CS Sanford and their two stations in the Bangor market.

The stations will likely fill a coverage hole for EMF’s “K-Love” network in-between 89.3 WMSJ Portland ME to the north, 104.9 WNKC Gloucester MA to the south, and 102.3 WAKC Concord and 105.7 WLKC Plymouth NH to the west. EMF’s “Air 1” airs in most of the WXEX/WXEX-FM coverage area on 106.5 WNHI Farmington NH.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Devils-Bruins averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.40 million viewers in ABC’s NHL regular season finale Saturday night, marking the second-largest audience of the season behind only the Penguins-Bruins Winter Classic on TNT in January (1.78M). The Bruins have played in six of the seven most-watched games this season, the lone exception being Capitals-Hurricanes in the Stadium Series in February (1.14M).

Excluding the Winter Classic, it was the most-watched regular season NHL game on any network since the league began its new media rights deal at the start of last season.

America's (new/old) team!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The 103.7 FM signal that Entercom bought in 2004 from the Boston Phoenix was an engineering masterpiece designed by an engineer at WFNX in Lynn.

1681545040331.png

The 103.7 signal far excedes WEEI-FM south of Boston

1681545729467.png

EMF is not stoppable in 2023.

A college friend made a nice living for years owing WYUL-FM in far upstate NY programming progressive rock into Montreal. EMF made an offer he could not refuse.

EMF is based outside of Nashville.

They buy transmitters with no local involvement.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Not for nothing, but I don't know why anyone listens to Sports Radio any more.

There are so many podcasts that feature well-informed experts on specific teams that don't manage to insult their audience's intelligence at nearly every turn.

For instance, "Morning Bru" is 1,000 times better at discussing the Bruins than any Sports Radio show in this town.
I’ll check it out. Thanks, Mike.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Felger would root for the Martians if War of the Worlds was real. Anything to be a contrarian
I still can’t understand how

A. People listen to him, knowing it’s schtick.

2. People listen to him.

There are so many podcasts that feature well-informed experts on specific teams that don't manage to insult their audience's intelligence at nearly every turn.

For instance, "Morning Bru" is 1,000 times better at discussing the Bruins than any Sports Radio show in this town.

TBH…the one thing that keeps it alive and probably will in some form forever is the immediacy.

Even a daily podcast, in most cases, isn't able to address breaking news.

fr0mzer0

Jan 12, 2008
RI
View attachment 688684

I was really hoping Beasley would have made an offer so Sports Hub could have gotten better reception south of Providence and down the 395 corridior

Bleached

Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp
Oct 3, 2018
The 103.7 FM signal that Entercom bought in 2004 from the Boston Phoenix was an engineering masterpiece designed by an engineer at WFNX in Lynn.

View attachment 688885

The 103.7 signal far excedes WEEI-FM south of Boston

View attachment 688886

EMF is not stoppable in 2023.

A college friend made a nice living for years owing WYUL-FM in far upstate NY programming progressive rock into Montreal. EMF made an offer he could not refuse.

EMF is based outside of Nashville.

They buy transmitters with no local involvement.

Much like what has happened to shortwave radio, soon 90% of terrestrial radio will be religion based.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Interesting conversation this morning regarding what happens with Wallach once Mike Gorman retires.

Meanwhile, awkward for Ryan Johnston who was a finalist for the Bruins radio job after Goucher left for Vegas and lost out.

Whatever happens, I’m ready for changes with the morning show.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
They won’t. They LOVE Dave Obrian. Sox should be Monaco and Lou but NESN prefers the Obrian Youk snooze fest.
Dave O'Brien is a conceited, humorless windbag, and Youk is barely average on his best day. The broadcast needs serious help. O'brien isn't bad at his job, but when you read that he thinks he is some kind of great storyteller, you just want to vomit.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

A 4 hr radio show isn't dedicated to solely Bruins talk. So ya if you want all Bruins talk then fire up a podcast. The biggest thing for me is the simulcast factor. I put NBC Sports Boston on at 10 and then it's there in the background while I work from home. I really have no interest in any podcast that is specifically geared to one sport.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Two other points:

1. Merloni is 1000x better than Youk. Is he gonna be on NESN more or was this a one off? Heard Sean McDonough doing game on radio the other day. I know he does NHL and college football but if NESN wasn't incredibly cheap a McDonough/Monaco and Merloni booth would be pretty good. Put Youk on radio for all I care.

2. Tony Amonte is absolutely useless and it's borderline offensive NBC Boston has him on after playoff games instead of someone who covered the team all year.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I listen to the Sox on the radio/MLB app during the regular season.

The Sox radio announcing has been great the past 3 years. The mix of Flemming, Lou, McDonough, and Castiglione have been great. I hope NESN keeps O'brian and Youk forever so they don't steal Will Flemming or Lou!

Though I don't think Lou wants to announce every night of the week. Will Flemming seems to be getting the most games, with others filling in.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I actually like Youkilis. I like Merloni more, but as Morris said, it doesn't sound like he's looking for a full time gig at the moment.

Haven't liked McDonough in any realm since the 80's. O'Brien either. I do like Fleming and Joe C.

Just really happy Mazzarotti isn't doing games any more though.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I actually like Youkilis. I like Merloni more, but as Morris said, it doesn't sound like he's looking for a full time gig at the moment.

Haven't liked McDonough in any realm since the 80's. O'Brien either. I do like Fleming and Joe C.

Just really happy Mazzarotti isn't doing games any more though.

I grew up in western, MA where NESN was a pay channel so I mainly watched the TV38 games with McDonough but don't remember much because I was younger. Hearing him again brings back some nostalgia but I also think he is pretty funny. He gets out of national announcer mode and basically shits on everyone/thing. It can get old but when he is ranting he is pretty funny.

Reactions: sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad