OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
A 4 hr radio show isn't dedicated to solely Bruins talk. So ya if you want all Bruins talk then fire up a podcast. The biggest thing for me is the simulcast factor. I put NBC Sports Boston on at 10 and then it's there in the background while I work from home. I really have no interest in any podcast that is specifically geared to one sport.
A 4 hr radio show that basically ignores one of the 4 major sports and when they do talk about that sport or team you wish they hadn't................I do follow what you are saying about podcasts ,for me although morning Bru is pretty good I just do not want try and guess when they are on.......

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Turn on Zolak and Bertrand or whatever they are called and they are discussing Steelers QB.
That's all you need to know about talk radio in this area. Its all Pats/NFL. Day after Patriots Day, Sox sucking, Celtics and Bruins in playoffs.

Thank god for podcasts.
Dude that was one segment. One.

Babajingo

Dude that was one segment. One.
you're right. I should've been more pointed in the fact that I randomly turned them on. The next segment was the Sox but it was a few mins of the game and the rest was a rant about how people after the game, started driving up toward Boylston on Marathon day. If this clown knew anything about other sports, he would know that most of the people for Sox games, especially on weekends and patriots day, are from out of town and were probably just following the gps.

I stand by my point that they are totally Pats centric. Even though they suck now, and its pretty much the farthest you can be from their season.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I stand by my point that they are totally Pats centric. Even though they suck now, and its pretty much the farthest you can be from their season.
People have a hard time with this but football is king. It's probably the same in other cities. I always say this but these shows talk about what people want to hear. It might not be what everyone wants to hear. But the majority of people do want football talk most of the time. They're not dumb. They know what "sells".

Reactions: EverettMike

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
They were right on, sorry to tell you. They got outworked if not outplayed, for the first two periods. Unless that changes, this is going to be a long series. I think the Bruins win in the end, but it will be longer than they would want.

Ya. All negativity all the time.

Reactions: jgatie

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
People have a hard time with this but football is king. It's probably the same in other cities. I always say this but these shows talk about what people want to hear. It might not be what everyone wants to hear. But the majority of people do want football talk most of the time. They're not dumb. They know what "sells".
Felger always says "Football is natoinal" and he is right. But when you are talking about Fluff Like Brady's divorce, or who will be the fourth wr ad nauseum, while there are 3 other, usually successful, teams in town, that is ridiculous.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
They were right on, sorry to tell you. They got outworked if not outplayed, for the first two periods. Unless that changes, this is going to be a long series. I think the Bruins win in the end, but it will be longer than they would want.
So your take is the same as a guy who knows less about hockey than I do about quantum physics, and a guy whose shtick is to say outrageously stupid takes in order to rile up the fans to drive his ratings?

It's all so clear to me now. :sarcasm:

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Felger knows a bit about hockey but Mazz is just out to lunch when it comes to the sport.
Felger knows more, having been their beat reporter and a recreational player, but Mazz while not a hockey guy is very honest, albeit negative, even for me. He has an idea what is going on in geneal, but does he know nuances or players, or anything, not really.

Last edited:

Babajingo

Agree, and I understand that its king. Thats why podcasts are great now. Have the option to not listen to Bertrand on the possible Pats 5th round draft picks.
Side note, I used to live in Southern RI and was able to listen to the FAN (late 90s). I used to love their format back then. They used to have guests all the time. One time they had Pudge Fisk on and he talked about his history with Thurmon Munson. Was a great interview. Then I turned to EEI and they had on Jimmy from Revere calling in.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Agree, and I understand that its king. Thats why podcasts are great now. Have the option to not listen to Bertrand on the possible Pats 5th round draft picks.
Side note, I used to live in Southern RI and was able to listen to the FAN (late 90s). I used to love their format back then. They used to have guests all the time. One time they had Pudge Fisk on and he talked about his history with Thurmon Munson. Was a great interview. Then I turned to EEI and they had on Jimmy from Revere calling in.
Its King only because the fan boys on radio and tv want it to be. A monkey can follow football its easy to talk about and watch.

I like the fact they don't talk hockey, they are too dumb to understand the game and when they do try they have zero clue of what they are saying. I hope they all go out of business, bring back talk radio when educated talk show host became legends in Boston, not these blowhard fan boys.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Its King only because the fan boys on radio and tv want it to be. A monkey can follow football its easy to talk about and watch.

I like the fact they don't talk hockey, they are too dumb to understand the game and when they do try they have zero clue of what they are saying. I hope they all go out of business, bring back talk radio when educated talk show host became legends in Boston, not these blowhard fan boys.
Again, if nobody called in wanting to talk football they wouldn't. Or if they were getting feedback that football talk was killing ratings they wouldn't do it. Baseball is also an incredibly easy sport to follow. In fact it's the easiest. Who is a fanboy? Surely you can't be talking about Felger and Mazz or Adam Jones.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Again, if nobody called in wanting to talk football they wouldn't. Or if they were getting feedback that football talk was killing ratings they wouldn't do it. Baseball is also an incredibly easy sport to follow. In fact it's the easiest. Who is a fanboy? Surely you can't be talking about Felger and Mazz or Adam Jones.
If the hosts are capable of having an intelligent conversation about hockey or had any interest in talking the sport they would get callers.

Fact is they don't want those calls because football is all they know. Zolak for example is a Fing idiot on anything else.

I know a few personalities on sports radio and trust me they HATE hockey and could not care less and go out of their way to mock it at any chance.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I agree that there are hosts who know nothing about hockey and mock it but unless it's Toronto or Montreal hockey doesn't drive the conversation really. Hell I love hockey but wouldn't have much interest in a 4 hr show dedicated to game one against the Florida Panthers. Felger likes hockey but he also knows you can't do a radio show like that.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

This week's special guest is sports reporter and Olympic figure skater Alice Cook! Hear about the early days of being a female sports reporter in the locker room. She shares great stories and hear how Bob got that black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad