Seravalli: Official JT Miller Trade Thread - NEW Update (1/25/22) - Rangers Interest "Next Level"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I think the requirement that a defenseman coming to Vancouver needs to be a RH’ed shot is overblown. Many young left handed shots are capable of playing both sides effectively. I’d rather target the best pieces available as Vancouver needs help in all areas and a Miller trade isn’t likely to be the only one made.
This right here.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Erik Johnson's salary coming off the books is MacKinnon's raise.

The Avs currently have 53 million on the books for next year. They need to re-make the 2nd line and find a new goalie. In a certain way, JT Miller complicates that. If, say, they were to add Hertl for 8 million, yes it's 8 million, but there's also term with it unlike Miller. Miller's situation just kicks the can down the road.
Eric needs to be replaced, won't take 6m, but will take some of it. Hertl for 8m beyond next season hurts the Avs. Newhool is the Heir apparent to the 2c role, makes no sense to sign someone long term to a big money contract that will move to 3c. Miller makes the most sense for this reason. Keeps the Avs contending next year, gives them their best shot this year, and they can let him walk away to let Newhook take over.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
And you like to ignore basic laws of economics.

When the market is one of scarcity, the price goes up. What happens when it's the opposite of scarcity (like we're seeing now)?

You think there's a bunch of JT Miller's that are going to be available this deadline? Let me guess, Giroux, Pavelski and Hertl? None of them are the same situation as Miller as I said in my last post you never responded too.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Why though? Miller can be an established 2C for the next 4-6 years. That’s their window anyways!

I think it because of cost certainty and Newhook's age and not knowing his ceiling. He's around .5PPG playing 3C and some PP time.
The biggest reason this trade won't happen is because the Avs can only have one "JT" at a time and our play by play guy would get waaaaaaaay too confused. Plus, we can only complain about one "JTx" on our boards at a time.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Copp and a first round pick.

Copp has one year less term and while is a valuable top 6 forward who plays all positions and all roles.........adding a 1st rd pick doesn't make up the difference between the one year less term and the difference in players. IMO the Jets should just take a hard pass on JT b/c of his contract term and don't bother offering anything b/c it doesn't make any sense for where the Jets are at now in the season, JT's term and JT doesn't make the Jets a serious contender so no point wasting very good pieces on trying to get him. Sounds like from the rumor this was only a rumor at best from early in the season likely when PLD was still an unknown at center.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Eric needs to be replaced, won't take 6m, but will take some of it. Hertl for 8m beyond next season hurts the Avs. Newhool is the Heir apparent to the 2c role, makes no sense to sign someone long term to a big money contract that will move to 3c. Miller makes the most sense for this reason. Keeps the Avs contending next year, gives them their best shot this year, and they can let him walk away to let Newhook take over.

This has been discussed some on our boards, so there is some agreement. I think any mention has also had Newhook as a non-starter.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
What advantage is there beside a lower acquisition cost?

All Purpose JT Miller Trade Thread - Major Update per Seravalli+Dhaliwal

This is noteworthy because last summer Sakic had two FAs in Landeskog and Grubauer. I doubt he'll want to have a similar summer when MacKinnon comes up for his contract. So there's value in making that move to begin rebuilding the 2nd line next summer.

Also, keep in mind that the Avs haven't had trouble scoring. You could make the case they'd be better off focusing on less costly middle/bottom 6 players who make the Avs more challenging to play against.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
All Purpose JT Miller Trade Thread - Major Update per Seravalli+Dhaliwal

This is noteworthy because last summer Sakic had two FAs in Landeskog and Grubauer. I doubt he'll want to have a similar summer when MacKinnon comes up for his contract. So there's value in making that move to begin rebuilding the 2nd line next summer.

Also, keep in mind that the Avs haven't had trouble scoring. You could make the case they'd be better off focusing on less costly middle/bottom 6 players who make the Avs more challenging to play against.

I'm not talking solely about the Avs, I'm talking in general. I said earlier that two late 1sts and a late 2nd is the going rate for Miller. You disagreed adamantly and have yet to disprove that citing the supposed inflated market this year of similar players. You're wrong. As I said earlier, just because the Avs won't meet that price doesn't mean other teams wont.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I'm not talking solely about the Avs, I'm talking in general. I said earlier that two late 1sts and a late 2nd is the going rate for Miller. You disagreed adamantly and have yet to disprove that citing the supposed inflated market this year of similar players. You're wrong.

Based on what?

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Based on pretty much every trade deadline in the last 5 years? Blake Coleman went for a mid-1st and a recent late 1st. Vancouver shouldn't expect more for a significantly better player?

You can expect whatever you want. But if it's too much, you can also watch teams make deals with several other teams for other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad