Seravalli: Official JT Miller Trade Thread - NEW Update (1/25/22) - Rangers Interest "Next Level"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
The Seguin deal but with retention.

Loui Eriksson --> Jt Miller @2.625
Scott Morrow --> Jack Rathbone
Rielly Smith --> Aiden McDonough (21-16-7-23 in College)
Matt Fraser --> Linus Karlsson (32-14-13-27 in Sweden)

for

Tyler Seguin --> Alex Lafreniere
Rich Peverley --> Patrik Nemeth
Ryan Button --> Ty Ronning

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
That's like saying gas prices won't go up because everyone needs it for their car.

Not really true. The scenario you describe is one where the cost of gas is out of one's control. It's not individuals purchasing gas from OPEC. This isn't analagous because it's between two parties with autonomy over the terms. The argument is more akin to time-value-money where a dollar today is worth more than one tomorrow because of foregoing interest or delayed utilization.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The Seguin deal but with retention.

Loui Eriksson --> Jt Miller @2.625
Scott Morrow --> Jack Rathbone
Rielly Smith --> Aiden McDonough (21-16-7-23 in College)
Matt Fraser --> Linus Karlsson (32-14-13-27 in Sweden)

for

Tyler Seguin --> Alex Lafreniere
Rich Peverley --> Patrik Nemeth
Ryan Button --> Ty Ronning

wrong morrow

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
So, who is interested?

Well, honestly, it will probably be a top 10 team that goes after him. The reason I make this point is the 1st round picks that being offered up.

Yes, still decent, but not top 10 picks for sure. As a matter of fact, when you go back and look through the years of late 1st's in the 22 to 32 range,

you see that those picks do not normally bring you top end prospects. To say it is very hit and miss, would be an understatement. So with that

being said, the 1st is not the major (biggest) part of any offer.

That leads me to what the major part is............a young roster player, or top prospect, should be on the table. I say this because of where Miller

sits in scoring, his versatility, the retention being requested, and that he is not an absolute rental, not to mention his low contract, which gives

any trading team a very low cap hit if used with retention.

Vancouver's needs.................simply a young RHD to go with Quinn Hughes, who is more defensive, and that can carry the heavy load. So, who

meets these requirements?

Schneider, Barron, who else?

Lesser's, that do not fit the requirements, but are good solid prospects

Lundqvist, Boqvist, Wilde, who else?

So who is out there, that fits the RHD requirement needed in Vancouver? Keep in mind about what I said about the 1st round pick, please!

I am asking, not telling, but that is what is going through my thought process.............I will be surprised if the trade is with anyone else.......

Top 13 teams by winning percentage today (Jan 21/2022). My gut says hi-litghed are the teams interested

Carolina .750
Colorado .750................has the assets, and would really put them over the top
Florida .738
Tampa .720
NYR .700................has the assets, and puts them in a serious position to make that run, against Tampa, Florida and Carolina
Toronto .689
Pitts .679................I do not really see it
Minni .671
STL .654
Boston 649................These guys always want to contend, and their core needs help to move up this list
Washington .646................The taste of a recent cup and Ovi's age, pushes them, especially with Miller at 50% retention
Nashville .631
Vegas .610

I don't see any others?

I still look at NYR's as the team that gets it done. For me, they have arrived, and they have players that are still young enough to compete, aka Panarin, Kreider, Zib, are all in their prime, at the same time, playing with Fox, Trouba and good goaltending. Miller puts them closer!

I am probably wrong!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Trade deadline is 2 months away. Going to be a long 2 months as I suspect JR won’t do anything until the deadline is near, unless someone knocks his socks off with an earlier offer. He’s right to wait though. Most top teams aren’t desperate right now as there’s 40+ games remaining. Closer to the deadline, some teams may have more incentive to make a move.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
You're overvaluing the 1.5 years given the other options available. Keep in mind, the Avs have at least 9 million coming off the books with Kadri and Burakovsky alone. They'll have the flexibility to make moves (trades or FA). Don't get me wrong. It has some appeal but it's not an end all be all decision driver.
I would think this is incorrect. You have Mackinnon needing a hefty raise after next season and likely don't want to allocate a lot of that 9m beyond next season. What player near Miller's level is signing a 1 year deal? Sakic likely sees Newhook as the 2c after next season and is planning cap and trades around it. Miller gives that cushion.

I also doubt Sakic wants to lose Burakovski, Kadri, AND Nichuskin to UFA. So some of that 9m goes to 1 or 2 of them.

Realistically, there is no better option that exists for the Avs than Miller, retained or not. Maybe something else eventually comes up, but I doubt Sakic is hoping for miracles to solve his problems.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I think the requirement that a defenseman coming to Vancouver needs to be a RH’ed shot is overblown. Many young left handed shots are capable of playing both sides effectively. I’d rather target the best pieces available as Vancouver needs help in all areas and a Miller trade isn’t likely to be the only one made.
Hughes has said many times he can play the right side, and is elite enough to do it IMO. I just prefer a right shot there like most other. TBL have 1 RHD in their top 4.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
So, who is interested?

I still look at NYR's as the team that gets it done. For me, they have arrived, and they have players that are still young enough to compete, aka Panarin, Kreider, Zib, are all in their prime, at the same time, playing with Fox, Trouba and good goaltending. Miller puts them closer!

I am probably wrong!

Good post - I think it's probably one of those teams among those you talked about that thinks they can re-sign and fit him into some future scheme that ends up making the best offer. For that reason, I don't think it'll be Colorado because they'd only be seeing him as the 2 playoff runs.

Reactions: zcaptain

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I would think this is incorrect. You have Mackinnon needing a hefty raise after next season and likely don't want to allocate a lot of that 9m beyond next season. What player near Miller's level is signing a 1 year deal? Sakic likely sees Newhook as the 2c after next season and is planning cap and trades around it. Miller gives that cushion.

I also doubt Sakic wants to lose Burakovski, Kadri, AND Nichuskin to UFA. So some of that 9m goes to 1 or 2 of them.

Realistically, there is no better option that exists for the Avs than Miller, retained or not. Maybe something else eventually comes up, but I doubt Sakic is hoping for miracles to solve his problems.

Erik Johnson's salary coming off the books is MacKinnon's raise.

The Avs currently have 53 million on the books for next year. They need to re-make the 2nd line and find a new goalie. In a certain way, JT Miller complicates that. If, say, they were to add Hertl for 8 million, yes it's 8 million, but there's also term with it unlike Miller. Miller's situation just kicks the can down the road.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
is that Murray Barron's kid?
I see he was Avs 1st in 2020, but know nothing about him
considering the Avs have no 1st this summer, I would hope Newhook is in consideration, as unpalatable as that may be for Avs fans. A late 2023 1st just too far out to be reliably helpful for this 26&under Canucks core.
Posted this earlier, but didnt see reply -- found this on Capfriendly, some Canuck fan (likely) posted it -- curious what you think?
Halak would be useful for you guys as well, no? Retained JT v valuable, I assume Compher is to balance salary (dont know his actual value?), assume Jost could sub. And Baron (assuming he's still a blue chip RHD prospect) plus Newhook would be a home run. Again, without a pick and with retention this is what I'd want as a Canuck fan .... we could prob throw in some cheap defensive depth like Schenn ..hell, I'd even give up Motte, if he interested, assuming some late pick added... What think? too EA NHL'22?

VAN
  1. Barron, Justin
  2. Newhook, Alex
  3. Compher, J.T.
  4. Francouz, Pavel
COL
  1. Miller, J.T. ($2,500,000 retained)
  2. Halák, Jaroslav
Very fair deal well done

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
One point I want to make as I read through the threads with people saying Sakic is a "safe" type of GM that doesnt like to make "gunslinger" type trades.

Though this might be true, where exactly has that gotten Sakic?

AVS year in and year out continue to disappoint in the playoffs and continue to waste the friendly deal that Mackinnon is on.

How many off-season has Sakic had where he reflects on deals he didnt make and think, i probably could have done more and shouldnt have played it as safe.

I think we've seen the beginning of that with the price he paid to get Keumper.

Sakic is very intelligent, he is very capable of changing gears and making trades that dont fit his "style"

So is Newhook for Miller a possibility, I wouldnt be so fast to bet against it as this might be the best opportunity as any to have the deepest possible Colorado Avs team in a long while, right before Mackinon gets paid.

I also wouldnt put it past Sakic to be able to re-sign Miller long term in 1.5 years when he becomes UFA.

So is Newhook a great prospect, sure he is but Miller is already a great player in the middle of his prime at 28 years old.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
How is that not realistic? Avs are in on Miller and need a backup Goalie upgrade. This deal makes them serious favourites
Avs want Miller as a stop-gap until Newhook can be the established 2C. I think they will be very hesitant to trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad