Seravalli: Official JT Miller Trade Thread - NEW Update (1/25/22) - Rangers Interest "Next Level"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Trading Miller means you're giving up on the season.
He's a top line player, ppg, hits, good in his own zone and can win faceoffs. The only way i'd move him to NYR would be overpayment
Schneider + kakko/lafren for JT Miller and depth add-ins like Pearson if they need bodies.
People who advocate trading JT need to understand that doing so is an organizational move, bye bye Horvat, Boeser... you're essentially restarting the rebuild. Sell them all or none. I dont care which avenue you choose..but dont go half way.. commit to a direction

There's overpayment and then there's stupid overpayment. Kakko and Schneider? Give me a break.

Reactions: weaponomega

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Ah!
someone was paying attention.
Correct. It is not clear who ultimately will be better, Krav or Pod.
Like I said, it is a conv for NY and there is a chance Krav can be developed into a pivot while Pod is a def no on that count. So it was not that bizzarre.

What? Dont want to go too off topic, and obviously anything can happen, but Podkolzin is quite ahead of Kravtsov currently, and i dont think thats being homer at all. He already has more points and NHL games than him while being 2 years younger. And its not like he's playing 4th line.

To say theyre tracking equally is not very objective.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think Vancouver is being smart here and looking to trade a guy with a tiny bit of term left while his value is up. He's going to attract a lot of interest from a lot of teams. The nucks should do well for themselves in return value here.

Colorado should be willing to give up someone like Newhook in exchange for less assets overall.

I'd do 1st 2022 (late) + Newhook for JT retained.

I like Miller, he'd be a perfect fit on the Avs second line, but I wouldn't hold my breath on Newhook. Everything we hear out of Colorado is they love that kid. Aquiring Miller would just be a stop gap while they wait for Newhook to come into his prime. Sakic is a notorious 'this is my price and I'm perfectly fine walking away' guy.

My guess when it comes to Sakic is it would take a Bo Horvat to pry Newhook out of Colorado. Obviously not 1 for 1.

I’d like to see him go to Colorado… will keep them away from Stastny in the offseason so the Jets can re-sign him….lol

I really don't think that's something you're going to need to worry about. If the Avs and Stastny had any significant desire for a reunion it would have happened during one of the times he was a UFA and the Avs were swimming in cap space.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think that even if the Rangers aren’t going to re-sign Strome, they’re still planning to hold him for this season as a “self-rental”. They no longer are - as far as can tell - stockpiling assets. If anything they’ll be net futures-out for the foreseeable.

I fear you may be right, that would be a stupid waste.
Better to get a late 1st or 2022 3rd, 2023 2nd and a small + and upgrade those picks into better current picks [how we got Schneider] and/or deal current picks for a better future pick.

The win now crowd needs to be rebuffed. Plan to max our window winning more than just now by not cannibalizing assets esp youth.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I agree it’s most likely Strome re-signs at a team-friendly rate. But I’m just saying that even if that doesn’t happen I don’t see them trading him, as was suggested.

Trading for JT @50% isn’t a crazy idea though. Assuming the price is right - which, I know it won’t be. Just saying.

1. Strome cannot be re-signed at ANY $. Every nickel must go to Fox + Zib. Not only are there no workarounds, we likely need at some later pt to deal Lindgren to generate scratch for upcoming new deals on Kakko, LaF, etc

No on strome, or anyone new in lieu of Strome
If you want to deal Geo and get a more expensive stopgap who is better suited to backup and is gonna walk after the season, fine.

There will be painful consequences for adding cap now.

What? Dont want to go too off topic, and obviously anything can happen, but Podkolzin is quite ahead of Kravtsov currently, and i dont think thats being homer at all. He already has more points and NHL games than him while being 2 years younger. And its not like he's playing 4th line.

To say theyre tracking equally is not very objective.
Your point is well taken, and I don't recall saying they tracked equally.

I thought I conveyed their overall potential is very high for both, but while Pos is and always will be only a W, Krav has potential to be a C.

It is fully fair to say atm, Pod IS ahead of Krav. Also fair to say Krav has had extenuating circumstances holding back his showcasing his ability.

Would have no prob adding something conditional to Krav in a side deal to guarantee a certain level of production returned for him, but I believe when all is said and done, Krav w/high talent linemates is gonna produce solid.

Good post, not homer at all, valid and substantiated.

Trading Miller means you're giving up on the season.
He's a top line player, ppg, hits, good in his own zone and can win faceoffs. The only way i'd move him to NYR would be overpayment
Schneider + kakko/lafren for JT Miller and depth add-ins like Pearson if they need bodies.
People who advocate trading JT need to understand that doing so is an organizational move, bye bye Horvat, Boeser... you're essentially restarting the rebuild. Sell them all or none. I dont care which avenue you choose..but dont go half way.. commit to a direction

understood but NY is not gonna overpay for almost anybody

people have to understand:
NY has enuf bluest blue chips for their own internal needs, but other than Jones, who duplicates Fox in style and is extremely Fox-lite atm, there are no additional bluest blue chip level of prospects who are surplus and thus available for deals.

We are not gutting the team, youth for age.
Besides this there are real cap issues for NYR people need to not ignore.

Hope JT continues his success in VAN; if you must deal him look elsewhere.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Fair enough in terms of your knowledge of your team, but referring to the self in the third person is an oooooffff.

But it actually sounds more egotistical to say, ego sum, I am not wrong.
Yet the point of accuracy, about what is correct and incorrect regardless of who is putting it forth needs to be made.
Appreciate you recognizing the substance of the facts.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The only thing that's delusional is thinking that the Canucks couldn't get a Braden Schneider type of prospect in a package for Miller.
I think there's a difference between Vancouver not getting a Schneider type prospect and Vancouver getting Schneider. NYR really need Schneider going forward, and although they have a somewhat deep defense prospect list, they value Schneider at the top and specifically went in a tougher direction with the team. Rangers need better 5 on 5 driving players who can put the puck in the net and sustain pressure. They either need a 2c for next season or a RW right now/next season, because the development minutes for Kakko are generating a lot of nothing.

Ranking the potential available players that fit what we need
Hertl
Chychrun
Miller

That doesn't mean Miller isn't as valuable as them, they just fit what we need more.

JT can be sold as a 1c and he's very good on faceoffs, but I think when playing center his responsibilities in his own end can sometimes get left behind. I would love him on the RW with Kreider and Zibanejad, but then the attribute we really need him for (faceoffs) is going to be useless. We're most likely looking at him playing 2c, which should help some of those even strength scoring numbers playing with Panarin. If 2c is the goal for Miller then I think Schenider is too important to the teams need to trade away.

Last edited:

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Barron and Olausson were both rated much higher than their draft positions by Sakic and Avs scouts (Sakic and head scout Klippenstein both said as much without even being prompted) so it seems extremely unlikely that Sakic would move both in the same deal.

2023 1st + Barron/Helleson + Compher/Jost ticks all the boxes.

Adding Miller would lessen the need for a bottom 6 vet, as Nichuskin would be bumped back to the 3rd line. Miller also plays PK so the need for PK help in the bottom 6 would be lessened as well.
Makes sense and I can respect that. In the 2nd deal are we retaining? If so we'd want a little extra

2023 1st, Baron, Jost, 2024 2nd

Future picks often have a bit less value, and thus spreads it out.

On a side note, idk how well connected this writer is, but interesting read if he does have some insider knowledge.

NHL Rumors: Rangers Trying to Acquire Canucks Forward in Mega-Deal - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I don't know why people are calling Miller a rental. His contract is up next year, rentals would be up this year. A team would get around 120 games out of Miller.

He'll only be traded for a star prospect or established young player. He's not going for spare parts.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Makes sense and I can respect that. In the 2nd deal are we retaining? If so we'd want a little extra

2023 1st, Baron, Jost, 2024 2nd

Future picks often have a bit less value, and thus spreads it out.

On a side note, idk how well connected this writer is, but interesting read if he does have some insider knowledge.

NHL Rumors: Rangers Trying to Acquire Canucks Forward in Mega-Deal - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me
is that Murray Barron's kid?
I see he was Avs 1st in 2020, but know nothing about him
considering the Avs have no 1st this summer, I would hope Newhook is in consideration, as unpalatable as that may be for Avs fans. A late 2023 1st just too far out to be reliably helpful for this 26&under Canucks core.
Posted this earlier, but didnt see reply -- found this on Capfriendly, some Canuck fan (likely) posted it -- curious what you think?
Halak would be useful for you guys as well, no? Retained JT v valuable, I assume Compher is to balance salary (dont know his actual value?), assume Jost could sub. And Baron (assuming he's still a blue chip RHD prospect) plus Newhook would be a home run. Again, without a pick and with retention this is what I'd want as a Canuck fan .... we could prob throw in some cheap defensive depth like Schenn ..hell, I'd even give up Motte, if he interested, assuming some late pick added... What think? too EA NHL'22?

VAN
  1. Barron, Justin
  2. Newhook, Alex
  3. Compher, J.T.
  4. Francouz, Pavel
COL
  1. Miller, J.T. ($2,500,000 retained)
  2. Halák, Jaroslav

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't know why people are calling Miller a rental. His contract is up next year, rentals would be up this year. A team would get around 120 games out of Miller.

He'll only be traded for a star prospect or established young player. He's not going for spare parts.
yeah 2 cup runs with a cheap Miller? I get that fans dont like parting w their best prospects, but GMs of contenders know how much this sort of an add could do for Stanley hopes. JT could very well be the final champ piece like Shanny going to the Wings

I could see teams like NYR or Jets having reluctance because theyre not yet at that true contender level. But what about teams like Panthers, Canes, even Knights?! Imagine Miller AND Eichel added to that forward corps ... again, at only $2.5 w retention, he's affordable for anyone.

I would assume Rutherford knows that as his first big splash trade this could well be a defining move for his tenure in Van ... really hope it isnt Kapanen plus pick, lol. But I dont fault Canuck fans for dreaming big -- imagine what retained Miller plus Halak (with all the goaltending needs rn) might bring ...

Last edited:
Reactions: canadianmagpie

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
is that Murray Barron's kid?
I see he was Avs 1st in 2020, but know nothing about him
considering the Avs have no 1st this summer, I would hope Newhook is in consideration, as unpalatable as that may be for Avs fans. A late 2023 1st just too far out to be reliably helpful for this 26&under Canucks core.
Posted this earlier, but didnt see reply -- found this on Capfriendly, some Canuck fan (likely) posted it -- curious what you think?
Halak would be useful for you guys as well, no? Retained JT v valuable, I assume Compher is to balance salary (dont know his actual value?), assume Jost could sub. And Baron (assuming he's still a blue chip RHD prospect) plus Newhook would be a home run. Again, without a pick and with retention this is what I'd want as a Canuck fan .... we could prob throw in some cheap defensive depth like Schenn ..hell, I'd even give up Motte, if he interested, assuming some late pick added... What think? too EA NHL'22?

VAN
  1. Barron, Justin
  2. Newhook, Alex
  3. Compher, J.T.
  4. Francouz, Pavel
COL
  1. Miller, J.T. ($2,500,000 retained)
  2. Halák, Jaroslav

That's a big fat no from Colorado.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Avs are in a tough spot. Getting Miller and Halak pretty much make 100% sense for their team this year since they have to win now. But not sure they have the young players (aside from Newhook) to acquire them.

Reactions: Nucker42

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Avs are in a tough spot. Getting Miller and Halak pretty much make 100% sense for their team this year since they have to win now. But not sure they have the young players (aside from Newhook) to acquire them.

The Avs are probably better off getting more modest middle six rentals like Pavelski and keep the bulk of their prospects. Then during the summer, they can have greater flexibility to make moves.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Barron is a blue chip prospect. They have a few pieces we could use. With NYR fans saying Schneider is off the table, Avs have more we need. Only thing is the 1st will be 2023 not 2022. That will cost them Extra.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
My guess when it comes to Sakic is it would take a Bo Horvat to pry Newhook out of Colorado. Obviously not 1 for 1.
In all honesty, for the right pieces (notably, a trade including a blue chip prospect like Newhook) I think Horvat would be in play.

That said, while less valuable, I actually think Miller is a better overall player player than Horvat.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
JR should really be targeting teams that have closing cup windows and view Miller as one last chance at a cup. Maybe Dallas, Boston, Pittsburgh? Try to construct a deal like Sakic did when he sent Duchene to Ottawa.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
That one article mentions Kakko or Lafreniere being potentially in play for Miller i think that would be the best case scenario for the Canucks getting one of those two plus maybe a mid round pick or a low end prospect.

i would prefer one of those two over schneider/lundqvist and a 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad