(Official) Around the NHL 8.0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2012
Earth
With a one way, he would get NHL money playing in the AHL. With a two way he would AHL salary if he plays in Utica. Doesn't necessarily mean he wants to be a full NHL player. He will go through waivers regardless if it's a 1-way or 2-way.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
To be fair even the Canucks fans just want to give him the one way, since he will be starting the year on the main roster barring a horrid camp. And he did great for them in Utica.

I find it amusing myself, but its not that far fetched. He knows he's on the opening night roster, most likely on the second line. Why wouldn't he want the one way deal?

Aug 21, 2014
To be fair even the Canucks fans just want to give him the one way, since he will be starting the year on the main roster barring a horrid camp. And he did great for them in Utica.

I find it amusing myself, but its not that far fetched. He knows he's on the opening night roster, most likely on the second line. Why wouldn't he want the one way deal?

Mo Money.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pretty good bet the likes of Ferland, Shore, Jooris, etc. are all angling for one-way deals too. Doubt much of a fuss will be raised over that though. Heck, Ortio got a one-way deal over much less.

When it comes to Baertschi, seems like most opinions here can be summed up as:
kKjnLft.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pretty good bet the likes of Ferland, Shore, Jooris, etc. are all angling for one-way deals too. Doubt much of a fuss will be raised over that though. Heck, Ortio got a one-way deal over much less.

kKjnLft.jpg

I was aware of that effect. I just found it funny that Baertschi thinks he has any leverage at all right now. This is a guy that couldn't crack a rebuilding team's roster, then was given up on by that organization (it was mutual, I guess) and couldn't grab a spot on his new team, either.

If Ferland and Jooris angle for a one-way deal, it's probably because they've made substantial impacts at the NHL level so far and have earned that. What has Baertschi proven at the NHL level yet to deserve the trust implied by a one-way contract? Once again, the only way that the difference between a one-way and a two-way contract comes up at all is if Baertschi doesn't earn his way onto the NHL roster this TC.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

kKjnLft.jpg

Jooris would at least deserve it. Ferland had a good playoffs but it remains to be seen if that will carry over to the regular season. Shore isn't there yet IMO.

Sven also is not there, so it makes me chuckle a bit at his situation.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I wonder what the plan is for Shore, can't imagine hes happy being an after thought in all this.

I'd say probably same as everyone else: the plan is to have the 23 best guys in TC form the opening-night roster. It's up to Shore whether he's among those 23 guys.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm excited about Shore, I think he's really underrated by our fanbase. I think he's a better prospect than Granlund and I know the Flames are very high on him. I think he's going to surprise our fanbase this year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I was aware of that effect. I just found it funny that Baertschi thinks he has any leverage at all right now. This is a guy that couldn't crack a rebuilding team's roster, then was given up on by that organization (it was mutual, I guess) and couldn't grab a spot on his new team, either.
Couldn't crack a rebuilding team or wasn't given a fair opportunity? It's a bit of both. Baertschi is top-six or bust; 7 or so minutes on the fourth line is a waste of everyone's time. See Backlund under Brent Sutter and recall how most here considered him a bust because of that.

As for Vancouver, it seemed quite clear they acquired him for Utica, not to help the Canucks immediately. The real chance to make the team will come next season.

And leverage can be created. The Canucks paid a decent price to get him; he could exploit that. But it's bizarre how fans expect players not to negotiate for their best interests. It's still a career for them; would you turn down the opportunity for significantly more money for nonsensical reasons? If you're in a field where salaries are negotiable, would you meekly accept the first offer given to you, or at least try to get a better one? How many of the Flames prospects, especially those that are no longer waiver exempt, have accepted that their qualifying offers?
If Ferland and Jooris angle for a one-way deal, it's probably because they've made substantial impacts at the NHL level so far and have earned that. What has Baertschi proven at the NHL level yet to deserve the trust implied by a one-way contract?

Or because they want more money. This whole 'earned' thing is being taken a bit too far here. Hartley, much like Brent Sutter, is far from being the sole authority on who is and isn't an NHL'er. Ditto for the Flames.

Baertschi and Jooris have similar point per games totals in the NHL while Shore and Ferland's are lower (and significantly for the latter). The sample size is small for all of them. None of them, if not for waiver status, would be locks to make the NHL next season. And all of them will likely be healthy scratched at some point.

Yet, it's still a good bet that Shore, Ferland and Jooris will at least try to get a one-way deal because it's in their best interest to do so. But when/if it comes out that they are, the excusesreasons as to why they've "earned it" while the players people don't like haven't will be plentiful I'm sure.
Once again, the only way that the difference between a one-way and a two-way contract comes up at all is if Baertschi doesn't earn his way onto the NHL roster this TC.
This isn't fantasy hockey. The reality is, teams are always reluctant to pay NHL salaries to players in the AHL. No successful business will throw away money if they don't have to. A one-way contract does provide some incentive for the team to keep the player up, if not at least give them more of an showcase/opportunity to succeed. Raymond is going to be a prime example of that next season.

bWo*

Ryan O'Imbecile and Evander Kane will be wonderful role models and mentors for Reinhart and Eichel

May 27, 2012
Earth
Ryan O'Imbecile and Evander Kane will be wonderful role models and mentors for Reinhart and Eichel

I think it's overblown. Eichel already parties. There was a video of him chugging a beer saying "Buffalo, I'm coming for ya!". He looked really out of it.

edit: the role model, mentor stuff is overblown. Not the drinking a driving, that's idiotic.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ferland also had all charges against him officially dropped today in that legal battle he's been involved in over the last 3 years. It was involving a bar fight in Cochrane, in case anyone doesn't know. The "victim" claimed Ferland sucker punched him, well according to Ferland he hit him and knocked him out as self defence.

Good for him, glad this is behind him now. Another positive thing FerDaddy can focus on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad