Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
As I recall… Kicked out of a game for a racial slur, and posted a pic on social media of a friend who made a swastika out of blocks. The special needs bully was a kid who dropped last yr I think

Copy thanks.

The special needs part was Mitchell Miller a few years ago. He was sociopathic and convicted of assault. Connelly has had his share of off-ice stuff. There was an Athletic article that wasn't totally cut and dry discussing whether he was bullied himself or a bully when he was younger. A teammate did make a Swastika out of building blocks, and he posted it on Snapchat or something. That was the major stink. He did do counseling and volunteer work with a local rabbi, if you're looking for signs of contrition and maturity.

I have no idea how to evaluate his character. No one does here. But......his tape is straight up elite skill.

That's where I'd push back. He looks like a safe 3C. Maybe his burst improves, his skills play up, the production at his age clearly is good.

Thank you ...... will be interesting to see where he goes. Guess it will depend on his interviews/dinners

Reactions: Tarpongg and Magua

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Didn't someone post an analysis of USHL players and their lack of success in the first round outside a handful of guys from the USNDTP or something like that?

It doesn't feel accurate to me. Most of the elite guys go to the NTDP (I actually laughed at a "handful"; it's a truckload), so it's a small sample of players who play in the USHL and go 1st round. The hit rate actually feels incredibly high to me.

Over the last decade every name: Nick Schmaltz, Kyle Connor, Brock Boeser, Riley Tufte, Casey Mittelstadt, Ryan Johnson, (Shane Pinto and Bobby Brink if we want to stretch it a couple picks), Brendan Brisson, Cole Sillinger, Matt Coronato, Mackie Samoskevich. Quite a few played on the same Chicago powerhouse. Tufte and Mittelstadt played majority high school, and Tufte's production was awful (ditto Johnson).

Those are just 1st rounders. If you are arguably the best player in the USHL, without a physical weakness (if not overwhelming strengths), you're the exception if you don't turn into a very good NHL player.

Reactions: BernieParent

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Guess it will depend on his [...] dinners

No one can evaluate a player over dinner like Brent Flahr. Exactly how many dinners will they need? They need to be certain.

maxresdefault.jpg

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It doesn't feel accurate to me. Most of the elite guys go to the NTDP (I actually laughed at a "handful"; it's a truckload), so it's a small sample of players who play in the USHL and go 1st round. The hit rate actually feels incredibly high to me.

Over the last decade every name: Nick Schmaltz, Kyle Connor, Brock Boeser, Riley Tufte, Casey Mittelstadt, Ryan Johnson, (Shane Pinto and Bobby Brink if we want to stretch it a couple picks), Brendan Brisson, Cole Sillinger, Matt Coronato, Mackie Samoskevich. Quite a few played on the same Chicago powerhouse. Tufte and Mittelstadt played majority high school, and Tufte's production was awful (ditto Johnson).

Those are just 1st rounders. If you are arguably the best player in the USHL, without a physical weakness (if not overwhelming strengths), you're the exception if you don't turn into a very good NHL player.
Maybe it was outside of the USNTDP or something like that. I can't remember who posted it and if it was something they did or they were sharing an article/tweets or something. Perhaps I am insane but I remember the idea being don't draft USHL players high.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
McKenzie’s rankings are the best summation of what the league thinks, but we still have to remember that consensus doesn’t slot players. The draft is a measure of which bet a team is highest on given the available board. It doesn’t matter if 95% teams have Silayev at 4. What determines where he goes is a tiny handful of teams’ opinions.

With that being said, Demidov at 2 is interesting because Michkov was down at 5th last year. I can’t help but find that meaningful.

Nope, no way, never. Consensus = draft order and thus Catton is ours at 12.

So it is writ, so let it be done!

(a boy can dream)

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Sorry if this was previously posted, but The Hockey News (for what it is worth) has the Flyers taking Buium at 12 and Elick at 32.

iu
I think that this is why the days leading up to the draft are called the “Silly Season”. If Buium is there at 12 the Flyers just grab him, run and laugh. IMO, next to Levshunov, he’s the best defenseman in the crop. Great IQ; skills, quicks and comes up large on big stages.

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
If Ottawa offered an early 2nd, I would given em Laughton. The only ranger I would take for Farabee is Othman. Just go BPA, for the whole draft. If a sexy D man is on the board, take ‘em. We will find Centers either 24, or the sexier 25 draft.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Charlie released a mock this morning and has the flyers taking Catton at 12.

“Do I think the Flyers would take Catton if he’s there? Yes, I do, and I think it’s even plausible that he could be a target in a trade-up scenario.”
I just f***ing shredded my jorts.

What a delightful little treat you’ve posted.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Ēriks Mateiko is ranked 6th among all LWs and will probably be a 2nd rounder. Do we have a 2nd round pick!? /checks notes/ Yes, we do!

(I kid, I kid, Ābols is enough for a while)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

A good "value for money" piece if I dont say so myself.

After 5000+ words on six potential "sleeper" picks the other day (Alex Appleyard's sleepers in the 2024 NHL Draft - PHLY Sports)

Today comes just over 6000 words on 10x players who could be taken by the Flyers in the 2nd round.

Basically medium depth scouting reports on each with context.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If they want him at 3 I believe they probably have a pretty good read that he is much higher on boards than we believe.

Trading from 3 to #12 is a huge drop, and he will most likely not be there.

Although I’ve seen teams do some stupid shit before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad