Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004

My only complaint is the phrase "Nips plays in the butt" used here:

#9 – Sam Dickinson – Left Handed Defenseman – London

Dickinson is likely to be one of the first defenders off the board come draft day in June. He has a pro-favoured frame at 6ft3 and 194 lbs, and uses it incredibly effectively in both ends of the ice. If it weren’t for 2023 1st round pick Oliver Bonk (PHI) taking PP time, I think we would perceive Dickinson’s offensive capabilities differently, and project him out a bit differently. In the defensive zone, he nips plays in the butt, and accelerates the transition game with quick up passes. Skating is a strength, and there is no glaring weakness directionally. He can go all four directions well, with good agility to re position when needed. (Ben Jordan)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
My only complaint is the phrase "Nips plays in the butt" used here:

#9 – Sam Dickinson – Left Handed Defenseman – London

Dickinson is likely to be one of the first defenders off the board come draft day in June. He has a pro-favoured frame at 6ft3 and 194 lbs, and uses it incredibly effectively in both ends of the ice. If it weren’t for 2023 1st round pick Oliver Bonk (PHI) taking PP time, I think we would perceive Dickinson’s offensive capabilities differently, and project him out a bit differently. In the defensive zone, he nips plays in the butt, and accelerates the transition game with quick up passes. Skating is a strength, and there is no glaring weakness directionally. He can go all four directions well, with good agility to re position when needed. (Ben Jordan)

Hey, I did not write that aha!

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Alright… I’m mostly serious here. What are the chances that Michkov coming over draws us nearer to Demidov? By all accounts they are friends. How much leverage can he exact in pushing other teams away and demanding the Flyers/the Flyers realistically moving up to a top 5 pick?

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Alright… I’m mostly serious here. What are the chances that Michkov coming over draws us nearer to Demidov? By all accounts they are friends. How much leverage can he exact in pushing other teams away and demanding the Flyers/the Flyers realistically moving up to a top 5 pick?
probably why there has been so much talk of them wanting to move up this past week

Reactions: Danko

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i have a feeling now, that if we want to move up, we will be put over a barrel cause everyone will think we are moving up for Mich's buddy

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
1. SJ-Celebrini
2. Chi-Levshunov
3. Ana-Dickinson
4. CBJ-Lindstrom
5. Mtl-Iginla
6. UT-Buium
7. Ottawa to Phi-Demidov

Could happen

Could definitely happen. The first couple of picks will be important.

i have a feeling now, that if we want to move up, we will be put over a barrel cause everyone will think we are moving up for Mich's buddy

Well I am thinking they already knew this was coming and the rumor already came out for the frame for a deal with Ottawa which def looks like for the 7th. Keeping the 12th and getting Demidov at 7 would be amazing.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@BigToe @FLYguy3911 @Magua

What is a reasonable comp for Sam Dickinson?

I don't think he's stylistically reminiscent of Hanifin, but I think he could have similar substance/scoring upside. I also think if he's selected 5-7, it's a safe (not bad) pick with similar re-draft results. Well-rounded, not really elite at anything, but consistently impactful at a lot. Could be better defensively than Hanifin; he's pretty advanced there. He's a good skater but still shy of plus, and he can not use that tool enough, which is the most important part. Good feet and stride, good puck handler, but I think he lacks that "wiggle" quality (he's got a stiff torso, but it does allow him to shield it decently).

My comp for Yakemchuk, if you were wondering, is Luke Hughes.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Could definitely happen. The first couple of picks will be important.

Well I am thinking they already knew this was coming and the rumor already came out for the frame for a deal with Ottawa which def looks like for the 7th. Keeping the 12th and getting Demidov at 7 would be amazing.
Chicago needs a top end defenseman for the future. They won't be drafting this high again for a long time.
Anaheim needs a top end defender as well since they traded away their best young defenseman in the Gauthier deal.
Columbus has come out and stated that Lindstrom is their pick. They want to build their club up the middle. No one knows if Lindstrom's back situation changes their plan.
Montreal wants Iginla.
Utah's management took the top defensemen in this draft out for dinner after the combine. They've pretty much telegraphed that their pick will be one of them. Most likely Dickinson or Buium.
At this point it's up to the Senators and Flyers to make the deal for Demidov. Farabee will probably be the guy to go along with #12. Again, there may be more to this deal but the Flyers have a shot at getting it done.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Chicago needs a top end defenseman for the future. They won't be drafting this high again for a long time.
Anaheim needs a top end defender as well since they traded away their best young defenseman in the Gauthier deal.
Columbus has come out and stated that Lindstrom is their pick. They want to build their club up the middle. No one knows if Lindstrom's back situation changes their plan.
Montreal wants Iginla.
Utah's management took the top defensemen in this draft out for dinner after the combine. They've pretty much telegraphed that their pick will be one of them. Most likely Dickinson or Buium.
At this point it's up to the Senators and Flyers to make the deal for Demidov. Farabee will probably be the guy to go along with #12. Again, there may be more to this deal but the Flyers have a shot at getting it done.
Why won't Chicago draft this high again?

Without a major offseason overhaul, they're looking like a team that's fighting for 32nd with San Jose in 24/25.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
A team like Ottawa I think could definitely be interested in a player like TK. They’ve disappointed the last couple years but they seemingly have some good pieces. 7 overall won’t be making an impact for probably ~4 years so I can see Ottawa sacrificing the future for the present, and it’s not like they are an old team.

#7 for TK and balance the trade as needed. TK will rightly get a big contract but I’m leaning to trading him as his best years will be behind him when we are presumably looking to contend. If we were contending now then we should definitely resign him as his peak years would be more important to us than him potentially having a boat anchor contract as he ages, even though I still think he’ll be an effective player in his 30’s

Trading TK would also have the benefit of tanking us a bit next year. I’m getting a bit ahead of myself but if we got Demidov at 7, and someone like Yakemchuk or whomever, a top 7 pick next year, and Colorado’s 1st, we’d have a robust prospect pool and some promising young players already in the NHL

TLDR: trade TK or whoever if we can get 7 back. I’d do it even if Demidov isn’t there. I’d also be very open to a high end center prospect coming back

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Hawks need top end W more than top end D at this point

In recent drafts they have invested a lot of capital on backend (Bolded = played in NHL last year)

Alex Vlasic = 2019 2nd
Wyatt Kaiser = 2020 3rd
Isaak Phillips = 2020 5th
Louis Crevier = 2020 7th

Nolan Allan = 2021 1st
Taige Harding = 2021 3rd
Ethan Del Mastro = 2021 4th
Kevin Korchinski = 2022 1st

Sam Rinzel = 2022 1st

Hawks only have 3 W's of any promise in system

Roman Kantserov (2023 2nd)
Nick Lardis (2023 3rd)