Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If Yakemchuk hits will he be in the Shea Weber mold? I read a blurb that at the combine he was listed as the toughest player to play against. He seems to be one of the more polarizing prospects this year. He can easily be one of the first Dmen taken and a top 10 pick or the 6th or 7th Dmen off the board. I wouldn’t mind Yakemchuk being taken by the Flyers depending on who is on the board still but I am no scout. It’s going to be interesting to see how this draft goes as there are like 10 guys who can be taken in any order
In terms of value, if Catton, Nygaard or Helenius are there, taking Yakemchuk would be a missed opportunity for the Flyers. Not to say that Yakemchuk isn’t going to be a good player in the future but so are Catton, Nygaard, and Helenius. Since none of these guys has clearly shown that they are the BPA, position of need in the organization weighs in.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You guys think Flyers are open to moving down in draft or do they likely stay put or even try to trade up with the plethora of picks they have?

I don't have a solid read on what they will do, but I'm hoping they're looking to acquire another pick in the top half of the first round, if they can swing it (either through a TK trade, which seems unlikely, or adding assets to the Florida #1, which would probably mean Farabee or Frost.)

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
Montour is probably a decent comparison for Yakenchuck.
Obviously he is on our board, but, bpa is the best strategy for a rebuilding team.

Reactions: TheKingPin

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
I'd take Yakemchuk in a second if he was there at 12. Most of the guys likely left that aren't dmen, I just don't see the ceiling being that high on them. I think this guy is top pairing, but has an element in his game that our entire core of guys just don't have. Would love a them to be aggressive and move into another top15 pick from Florida's (but unlikely).

York-Yamemchuk-Bonk would be a very solid core + a healthy Drysdale would make for as good of a backend in a few years as I think we can reach for at least internally. Try to suck next year, and pray we can land a Hagens/Misa to really fill our C gap.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
200w.gif

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
If Yakemchuk hits will he be in the Shea Weber mold? I read a blurb that at the combine he was listed as the toughest player to play against. He seems to be one of the more polarizing prospects this year. He can easily be one of the first Dmen taken and a top 10 pick or the 6th or 7th Dmen off the board. I wouldn’t mind Yakemchuk being taken by the Flyers depending on who is on the board still but I am no scout. It’s going to be interesting to see how this draft goes as there are like 10 guys who can be taken in any order

I'm not the first to make this comparison but reading about Yakemchuk reminds me of Dion Phaneuf. Even as a polarizing player he would be great value at #12.

At #12 I really can't see a reasonable objection to him specifically, short of having preferred players. People are going to see "6'3" and "physical" and write him off as a bad pick, but that is probably going to happen if the Flyers draft anyone 6'1+.

My prediction is still that it will be water under the bridge anyway: A team is going to be in love with Yakemchuk before #12 and we'll never have the chance.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'm not the first to make this comparison but reading about Yakemchuk reminds me of Dion Phaneuf. Even as a polarizing player he would be great value at #12.

At #12 I really can't see a reasonable objection to him specifically, short of having preferred players. People are going to see "6'3" and "physical" and write him off as a bad pick, but that is probably going to happen if the Flyers draft anyone 6'1+.

My prediction is still that it will be water under the bridge anyway: A team is going to be in love with Yakemchuk before #12 and we'll never have the chance.
Some people will hate a Yakemchuk pick because it will feel like one of those “born to be a Flyer” picks.

(I don’t believe that, but I can see that being the reaction, if he’s the pick)

The reaction will also depend on who’s on the board. If he’s selected over Catton…

Reactions: Redpath

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Some people will hate a Yakemchuk pick because it will feel like one of those “born to be a Flyer” picks.

(I don’t believe that, but I can see that being the reaction, if he’s the pick)

The reaction will also depend on who’s on the board. If he’s selected over Catton…

Right, and that is what I mean by having preferred players. I'd prefer Catton over Yakemchuk too.

But there is nothing objectionable enough about Yakemchuk at #12 that makes it a bad pick. He's feasibly as good a prospect as Catton, even if I do have a preference for the latter.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Yeah, I think at 12 it comes down to preferences and who’s actually on the board. I think they’ll make a good pick but the question remains if they’ll leave someone better on the board

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
@BigToe I have never seem Yakemchuk for a second or read anything about him. I am as unbiased as I can get going in. I did two games — Medicine Hat on 12/15 and Swift Current on 3/23. This guys is skilled! I hate him.

Look, it was two games. It’s not nearly enough to draw meaningful conclusions. I thought he flat out sucked in that MH game. SC was significantly better and it gave me an idea of what he’s supposed to look like if he hits, but this is just not my style of Defenseman at all. Where are the buildup plays? Everything is one speed and yet still consistently feels on the verge of out of control whenever he’s pressured. The physicality isn’t functional. It’s two hand shoves after the puck leaves, even if it takes him off balance. I don’t like his gap control. I don’t like his rotations on the PP at all. Usually with these mid 1st types, you can get the short area hands or feet, just not both. This guy has neither. We’re talking about a lottery pick, not the Panthers’ 1st.

Again, tiny sample. That needs to be kept in scope. The production on a mediocre team means a lot to me. He does have skills. I’m just never going to get to a point where I’m the high guy on this archetype because I think it’s just about the most difficult one to project. Sometimes they’re going to hit big. I just don’t want to be the one to take the chance.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
No Freij?
Freij, along with a number of others not listed are firmly in the mix for the Flyers 2nd/3rd pick. The goal is to end up with a list long enough it can extend to the Flyers 2nd round pick. So I couldn't actually list every possible player. The reality in any draft is consensus more or less disappears by pick 15, so it is impossible to predict who is actually a realistic possibility at 32 and who isn't. Best to cast a wide net though, right? I personally am I gonna stop at round 2, it is a lot of work. I do look forward to sharing my final ranking for the flyers 2nd and 3rd picks

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Besides a few videos and scouting site write-ups, I don't know much about Yakemchuk. One thing that gives me pause from the summary comments is that he has rough edges to his game that will need development time to improve. Since I don't trust the Flyers' developmental process, I am leery of someone with holes in their game who need coaching help. Maybe they have turned a corner with Brad Shaw in getting the most out of their defensemen, but the poor outcomes with the amazing list of drafted Dmen the Flyers had at one time -- Provorov, Morin, Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Hagg, Myers (undrafted) -- remains a serious indictment of this franchise's ability to identify and maximize talent.

It's sad to think that a prospect has to be almost to good to fail coming through the Flyers' process.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
I just watched Yakemchuk's Elite Prospects video, and pretty much the entire thing is him doing the same dangle maneuver. That is BEGGING to be picked off and end up in your net. Just takes a well placed pokecheck. The fact that he is does it ALL the time, teams are going to pick up on that and exploit him.

It's not like a series of different dangles, he almost always does the same move at least in the clips that I watched.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He’s also the oldest first time eligible projected to go in the top 100. His production this year is certainly good when you consider the quality of his team but it was also his third season of junior hockey. Comparing his production to other ‘05’s last year probably gives you a better indication of his true talent level. Good. Not great. Canada didn’t even really use him at the u18s when he was playing with his age group. Wasn’t picked for the Hlinka team… if you’re into that kind of thing. Could view it the other way that he’s on the way up but most top 10 caliber picks check off those boxes along the way.

I also tend to discount defensemen with a lot more goal production relative to assists. Goal scoring just doesn’t translate the same for defensemen unless you are a freak like Makar and can create for yourself. Most guys are in that 1:4 G/A ratio. Yakemchuk is flirting with 1:1.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It’s genuinely hilarious how much benefit of the doubt players like Yakemchuk get in comparison to players like Catton. Every questionable attribute for a Big Body guy is “if this works out at the next level, he’ll be sooo good” while anyone sub-6’ gets the “it probably won’t work out” treatment.

I don’t mind Yakemchuk, and I won’t be mad if he’s the guy, but it’s so glaring. I just will not buy that Yak has better odds of being a 1D than Catton has of being a 1C.

Does anyone have Yakemchuk’s even strength points/60? Feels like he benefits more than anyone from playing half the game.

Reactions: BernieParent

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I've seen some names thrown around for comps, but none of them make sense to me. They're both aggressive, but Manson leverages that into stellar work at his own blue line to help cover some of his major warts. That sure as shit isn't here with Yakemchuk unless I picked the wrong games. Manson is a much better transition passer too.

As far as Weber...people get a little excited around draft time. I've also seen Severson. I question whether those people have ever paid the slightest bit of attention to Severson's passing.

While we're at it, here's Scouching's card for him:

GLOHY1uXUAAOeGi

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Besides a few videos and scouting site write-ups, I don't know much about Yakemchuk. One thing that gives me pause from the summary comments is that he has rough edges to his game that will need development time to improve. Since I don't trust the Flyers' developmental process, I am leery of someone with holes in their game who need coaching help. Maybe they have turned a corner with Brad Shaw in getting the most out of their defensemen, but the poor outcomes with the amazing list of drafted Dmen the Flyers had at one time -- Provorov, Morin, Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Hagg, Myers (undrafted) -- remains a serious indictment of this franchise's ability to identify and maximize talent.

It's sad to think that a prospect has to be almost to good to fail coming through the Flyers' process.

You don't trust Ian Laperriere, Nick Schultz, and Riley Armstrong to develop a prospect?

Pffffttttt.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
You don't trust Ian Laperriere, Nick Schultz, and Riley Armstrong to develop a prospect?

Pffffttttt.

Completely illogical of me, I know. Plus, is Sam Morin still a member of the coaching staff? While I appreciate the Flyers doing right by a player whose career was unfairly cut short by injury, does he have any coaching training?

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY

My prediction is still that it will be water under the bridge anyway: A team is going to be in love with Yakemchuk before #12 and we'll never have the chachance
As it pertains to Flyers drafting forwards, the overwhelming majority of their top picks (guys who had or close to PpG or played over 1000 games) are 6'1" or under (Clarke, Barber, Propp, Forsberg, Giroux). By my method I counted only 3 picks taller then 6'1" and that was Zubrus, Carter, and JvR (Couts if he plays over 1000 games)

I didn't look at defenseman, but just thinking of the best defenseman off the top of my head (Orr, Borque, Lindstrom, Stevens, Pronger, Macannis) only Pronger stands above 6'1". So yea maybe there's a reason people would write off a 6'3" physical dman as a bad pick at 12 when these types of players can be picked at later stages of the draft. Give me more than just big and hitz

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Completely illogical of me, I know. Plus, is Sam Morin still a member of the coaching staff? While I appreciate the Flyers doing right by a player whose career was unfairly cut short by injury, does he have any coaching training?
Heard Patrick Thoresen had the balls (or singular ball) to turn down a lucrative coaching position when they sent an entourage of Flyers ambassadors including Lappy in an eye patch and Holmgren and Clarke to Norway a few years ago.

Reactions: BernieParent

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
As it pertains to Flyers drafting forwards, the overwhelming majority of their top picks (guys who had or close to PpG or played over 1000 games) are 6'1" or under (Clarke, Barber, Propp, Forsberg, Giroux). By my method I counted only 3 picks taller then 6'1" and that was Zubrus, Carter, and JvR (Couts if he plays over 1000 games)

I didn't look at defenseman, but just thinking of the best defenseman off the top of my head (Orr, Borque, Lindstrom, Stevens, Pronger, Macannis) only Pronger stands above 6'1". So yea maybe there's a reason people would write off a 6'3" physical dman as a bad pick at 12 when these types of players can be picked at later stages of the draft. Give me more than just big and hitz

You're proving the point I am trying to make by writing off Yakemchuk as being a bad pick who is "just big and hitz" because he's 6'3. By all accounts hes brings a offensive skillset to the table too.

Are his 30 goals "just big and hitz?" What about his his (Per EP) "constant rush activations and weak side sprints from the offensive blue line" and "flashes of high-end playmaking?"

He's not my preferred prospect and it sounds like he comes with his own question marks. I'm just not going to ignore a player's skillset because I want to stereotype him for being 6'3.

Reactions: Bender B Rodriguez

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I watched a few more guys this morning. Mostly bread and butter fine selections. But someone is going to have to explain to me how Teddy Stiga isn't a consensus 1st rounder.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Heard Patrick Thoresen had the balls (or singular ball) to turn down a lucrative coaching position when they sent an entourage of Flyers ambassadors including Lappy in an eye patch and Holmgren and Clarke to Norway a few years ago.
Lol. A coaching job should not be a reward, and the sooner the Flyers start taking development seriously, the more they will be able to maximize their prospects' careers.

Reactions: Embiid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad