Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Bill

Rest in peace, Johnny Hockey
Nov 9, 2014
I might be a biased but I would actually be happier with the North American kids (or played in NA) Dubois, Tkachuk, or Nylander over the two Finns since more risk follows with European imports who have to translate their game into the NHL. They did not dominate the Finnish league like Barkov did and Barkov still had his struggles for his first two seasons. It would be tough to assume 100% both will turn out as good as.

I also think the language barrier is always a big obstacle in sports and with our team not having a Finnish forward alongside to help engage him during games could also be a big challenge. I haven't seen too much of Dubois yet but from what I'm reading, he seems like he will be an excellent pick for anyone.

Or it could also be my hard attempt at the rationalization of not being awarded a top 3 pick :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Nylander would likely end up being Baertschi'd out anyway.

Assuming Hartley is here long term (I'm assuming this is your logic). I think Hartley will have to make it past next season unless we are a playoff team again, we might even need to win another round.

Monahan

#YoungMoney
Apr 8, 2014
Vancouver
Kris Russel should be in the lineup tonight and won't miss any playoff games which is good news for us flames fans wanting that second 1st round pick. Lets go stars!

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Ok, so scenario- we draft #8......top 3, tkachuk, nylander, Dubois and chychrun are gone. Who would you take?

One of the dmen (sergachev or juolevi) would be nice but I would consider mike McLeod. I know concerns with his offensive upside but his size, speed, defensive ability and playmaking is extremely tempting to throw in with our big 3 forwards. Thoughts?

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Ok, so scenario- we draft #8......top 3, tkachuk, nylander, Dubois and chychrun are gone. Who would you take?

One of the dmen (sergachev or juolevi) would be nice but I would consider mike McLeod. I know concerns with his offensive upside but his size, speed, defensive ability and playmaking is extremely tempting to throw in with our big 3 forwards. Thoughts?

In order I'd go

McLeod
Gauthier
Juolevi
Sergachev

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I'd take Juolevi, but at that point I'd actually prefer we trade the pick.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Sergachev. I don't think people realize how good he can be. I'm talking better upside than Dougie Hamilton. He is so good that our future top 4 could be

Sergachev (2B) - Brodie (1)
Giordano (2A) - Hamilton (2C)

I legitimately think Sergachev is the best Dman in this draft. Juolevi has the hype from the WJC. Chychrun has the pedigree. Bean has a great mentor in Sanheim.

But Sergachev is the full package.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Sergachev. I don't think people realize how good he can be. I'm talking better upside than Dougie Hamilton. He is so good that our future top 4 could be

Sergachev (2B) - Brodie (1)
Giordano (2A) - Hamilton (2C)

I legitimately think Sergachev is the best Dman in this draft. Juolevi has the hype from the WJC. Chychrun has the pedigree. Bean has a great mentor in Sanheim.

But Sergachev is the full package.

Yeah he's really good. As a number 4 D he would be scary. But is he involved with that Russian U18 drug scandal?
Pure talent he's my favourite D in the draft.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
So we finish 4-5th last if we lose tomorrow, 5-6th last if we win.
Not a ton of difference but I really see a bit of a drop after the top 5 forwards go and this year has a ton of potential to see a team in the back half 8-14 leap frog into the top 3 dragging us down a spot.

So very possible that we pick 6th assuming we don't win any spot in the lottery.

What does the top 6/7 of the draft look like for everyone at this point?

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
So we finish 4-5th last if we lose tomorrow, 5-6th last if we win.
Not a ton of difference but I really see a bit of a drop after the top 5 forwards go and this year has a ton of potential to see a team in the back half 8-14 leap frog into the top 3 dragging us down a spot.

So very possible that we pick 6th assuming we don't win any spot in the lottery.

What does the top 6/7 of the draft look like for everyone at this point?

In my opinion I see it as the top 10 in these terms

Matthews
Laine
Puljuaarvi

PLD

Tkachuk
Nylander
Chrychrun
Juolevi
Sergachev

If we are picking 6-7 I think it'll be 1 of Nylander or Tkachuk available there, and 2/3 of the defenders will be there, and at that point it's just best to pick BPA.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
In my opinion I see it as the top 10 in these terms

Matthews
Laine
Puljuaarvi

PLD

Tkachuk
Nylander
Chrychrun
Juolevi

Sergachev

If we are picking 6-7 I think it'll be 1 of Nylander or Tkachuk available there, and 2/3 of the defenders will be there, and at that point it's just best to pick BPA.
If we are not in the top 4, I want one of the bolded

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Welp, after the Canucks game the best Calgary can do in the standings is 4th last; that would require CBJ winning out the rest of the season and Calgary not getting a point out of Minny.

As it stands Calgary will be picking 1-3 or 5-8.

The likelihood of getting one of those top 3 is pretty good; I sure hope it happens. If not, I think I target Nylander (personally); just add to the skill pool of the team. I personally wouldn't take a Dman, I don't think it's needed with first rounders for the next 3-4 years unless it's a can't-miss prospect. Take them with 2+ rounders and take your time developing them. It seems in the NHL Dmen are nearly as crap-shootee as goalies in a lot of cases.

I personally see us picking between Tkachuk, Dubois & Nylander.

If the season ended today; here's my mock:
Toronto: Matthews
Edmonton: Laine (or trading the pick, honestly, they're better off probably trading this pick... I don't think they need more skilled wings on this team)
Columbus: Puljujarvi (You think Kekäläinen would pass a Finn?)
Vancouver: Where it gets interesting. I could see them picking Nylander here. These guys know a thing or two about ultra skilled Swedish forwards. I don't think they could get better teaches for Nylander.
Calgary: Tkachuk; Just have a feeling that he's their guy. Maybe Dubois though too.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Watching his older brother's game translate to the NHL I'm hoping more and more that if we miss out on the top 3 we end up with Nylander

1. Matthews

2. Puljujarvi
3. Laine

4&5. DuBois/Nylander

6. Chrychrun I think he's starting to become a victim of over-scouting

7. Is a complete mess for me as I havent seen them at all just going on scouting reports Sergachev/Tkachuk/Juolevi are the 3 to pick from.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Teams that could potentially be picking 4-6.

Columbus--> they need a forward. I hope they get a top 3 pick.

Edmonton--> D. They could use both a physical D (Chychrun/Serg)or puck moving D (Juolevi)

Vancouver--> D, possibly C. But with Baertschi, McCann, Horvat, and Boeser up front and only Hutton on D, they would look at Chychrun IMO. Fits Bennings draft profile too.

Winnipeg--> D, possibly C. I think they need a young D. A puck moving point produce. Juolevi is their guy. Plus they have Connor, Scheifele and Ehlers as well. Could have interest in a big two way guy like Dubois though.

Toronto--> D or C--> horrendous on the blue line both at NHL and Prospect levels. They need a D but will likely pick another Nylander.

So we likely just lost our chance at Dubois. Because most teams if they do go forward are probably going to be looking at the big two-way guy. Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver, if they do pick forwards it will be Dubois I think.

Final Ranking
1. Matthews
2. Puljujaarvi
3. Laine

4. Dubois

5. Nylander
6. Tkachuk

7. Sergachev
8. Juolevi
9. Chychrun

Note: If we pick at 7 and the top 6 forwards are gone, I would pick Chychrun. The Russian and doping factor would scare me away from Serg. And Juolevi isn't clear BPA and Chychrun fills a bigger need.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
1.Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujaarvi
4.Dubois/Nylander
5. Dubois/Nylander
6. Chychrun
7.Tkachuk
8. Juoveli
9th This is our worst case scenario, this could happen if Columbus loses, Winnipeg loses, we win and then three teams below us win the lottery spots. I don't even know who I'd want here maybe McLeod, Gautheir or Serg I'd be incredibly disappointed either way.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
1.Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujaarvi
4.Dubois/Nylander
5. Dubois/Nylander
6. Chychrun
7.Tkachuk
8. Juoveli
9th This is our worst case scenario, this could happen if Columbus loses, Winnipeg loses, we win and then three teams below us win the lottery spots. I don't even know who I'd want here maybe McLeod, Gautheir or Serg I'd be incredibly disappointed either way.

If we end up with the 8th higher, what a waste of a season.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If we end up with the 8th higher, what a waste of a season.

The difference between picking 3rd and 9th is the difference between loser mentality and winning culture.
It's not a waste because Joe Colborne got to pad his stats for a career high.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The difference between picking 3rd and 9th is the difference between loser mentality and winning culture.

Toews, Kane, Doughty, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Seguin, Ekblad, Barkov, Stamkos, Hedman, and Tavares sure do represent loser mentalities.

Wait aren't those all key pieces on most of the top teams in the league? Oh wait the world revolves around the Oilers' incompetence. How many 9th overall picks can you name that are the same? Dougie Hamilton? Ladislav Smid? Jacob Trouba? Bo Horvat? Wait a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad