Official 2015 tank thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I'm at work right now. My reaction when I had a minute to check the score.

d91.gif

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Mike Harrington ‏@BNHarrington 3m3 minutes ago

I'm covering a hockey game in January. I'm sick of hearing about the draft in June every night on my feed. Go call a radio show.

And 3 minutes later...

Mike Harrington ‏@BNHarrington 1m1 minute ago

In other McEichel games, Edmonton was off tonight. Arizona is leading Winnipeg 3-0 in the first period.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Edmonton's next 4 games are going to be hard to win. Fla will be the best chance, but, our next 5 should be all losses

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I love how professional journalism is literally whining about fans on your twitter feed.

Keaganizer

Dec 29, 2013
Why do so many posters seem to think McEichel is so mandatory for our rebuild? I would be ecstatic with either of them, obviously, but I don't think trading away Enroth as soon as he gets hot to guarantee losing games is the way to go.. Building team culture is incredibly important and INTENTIONALLY losing games is not the way to build a dynasty especially with all these young kids currently developing. (yes I am pro tank, in the sense that we are going to be bad so might as well maximize it and get high talent to keep us from being a mediocre 8th seed every year) What teams are these people seeing that you have to draft first/second overall to be a good team? LA has what, Doughty that they drafted themselves? Chicago has a couple, obviously. Using the generational talent argument? Ovie? Crosby? how many cups does ovie have? crosby 1? I'd rather be the kings, hawks, ducks, or lightning even rather than those teams. Drafting high and well is more important than insuring a first or second overall.

I'm not saying that I'm saying we should be happy to slide out of the bottom of the standings by picking up cheap shootout points, but come on..... intentionally trading any player just because of good play.. this is ridiculous.

We're an awful team this year, no need to fret. We're going to have a very good pick this year. Being so caught up with tanking and forgetting to develop what we have would be a huge mistake. And if we develop all the talent we have right now, adding to it any extra talent that we get this year and the next... we will have an incredibly talented roster in a couple years.

Anyway, my two cents

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Why do so many posters seem to think McEichel is so mandatory for our rebuild? I would be ecstatic with either of them, obviously, but I don't think trading away Enroth as soon as he gets hot to guarantee losing games is the way to go.. Building team culture is incredibly important and INTENTIONALLY losing games is not the way to build a dynasty especially with all these young kids currently developing. (yes I am pro tank, in the sense that we are going to be bad so might as well maximize it and get high talent to keep us from being a mediocre 8th seed every year) What teams are these people seeing that you have to draft first/second overall to be a good team? LA has what, Doughty that they drafted themselves? Chicago has a couple, obviously. Using the generational talent argument? Ovie? Crosby? how many cups does ovie have? crosby 1? I'd rather be the kings, hawks, ducks, or lightning even rather than those teams. Drafting high and well is more important than insuring a first or second overall.

I'm not saying that I'm saying we should be happy to slide out of the bottom of the standings by picking up cheap shootout points, but come on..... intentionally trading any player just because of good play.. this is ridiculous.

We're an awful team this year, no need to fret. We're going to have a very good pick this year. Being so caught up with tanking and forgetting to develop what we have would be a huge mistake. And if we develop all the talent we have right now, adding to it any extra talent that we get this year and the next... we will have an incredibly talented roster in a couple years.

Anyway, my two cents
It's the argument that's been going on this entire year (and maybe before, too). I agree with your take, but others will point out that it's logically easier to build a winning roster if you have that "generational" talent, which is, of course, also true, even though the best teams year in and year out aren't always the ones with those players. Each person's perspective is a matter of what he/she values the most in terms of the rebuild. Personally, I think that many here are so caught up in the thought of McEichel that they have become a bit irrational about the rebuild in its entirety. Like you said, doing something drastic like trading Enroth just to lose games is probably a bad idea even if it gives us a better shot at the #1/2 pick.

On the other hand, it sort of makes sense as a fan to want to have something to get excited about. And if your team is so bad that there's no hope of making the playoffs, you might as well get emotionally invested in losing as much as possible in order to win the shiny prize of McEichel. So I get it, even if my outlook isn't quite the same.

Bps21*

...They definitely should have traded away Enroth when he was hot. Because he had value and we are the worst team in the league. Now he hasn't kept less than 3 goals out of the net in a month and is worthless.

You're all turned around friend. Enroth is who he is...and if anyone would have given you something of value for him when he was on a hot streak...you take it and run. If he were to bump his value up again...TRADE HIM. He isn't the answer here.

Also the teams you named...Tampa drafted in the top 3 THREE TIMES IN THE LAST SIX YEARS. We've done that as many times in our entire history. So...yeah...real classy rebuild through winning there. HAWKS? LOL. Where'd they get Toews and Kane again? A Garage sale? Kings drafted 2, 4 and 5 in consecutive years...I guess by keeping middling players and trying to win more?

The Ducks are the one example. But if you're so quick to dismiss the Pengiuns one cup...I guess we can throw that one away too.

Why would Buffalo want a super exciting top prospect? I don't know...it's weird that the worst team would want such a thing. Especially when the best forward we've had for the last quarter century is either Thomas Vanek or a concussed LaFontaine.

How dare we

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
If his value was really that high, I'm pretty sure he would have been traded. But when it's time to start winning, we are going to need at least a decent goalie. Enroth is that. I'm not sure any of the other options in our stable are.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Anyway, my two cents

I'm with you on not trading Enroth solely to improve draft position, however there are plenty of reasons to trade Enroth and/or Neuvirth. First off, neither's particularly good. They're good enough to play, but they're not guys we just have to keep. Second, both are pending free agents. If we can't work out a deal they should be traded. If one is to be traded, it makes as much sense to do it now rather than at the deadline.

If his value was really that high, I'm pretty sure he would have been traded. But when it's time to start winning, we are going to need at least a decent goalie. Enroth is that. I'm not sure any of the other options in our stable are.

Who knows if we'll even have Enroth next year? It's up to him if he wants to re-sign, that's if Murray even wants to re-sign him. Enroth hasn't proven anything more than Neuvirth. Neither are irreplaceable through trade or free agency,

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013

Anyway, my two cents

We need to put together a great team, you make great sense but the Sabres need to be bad to get better, this is THE most important year of the rebuild. So losing games was expected even though TMGM won't admit it. If I had the chance to watch us have a 1-3 punch of McEichel, Girgensoms and Reinhart that would be spectacular and you move Ennis and Grigorenko to the wing. Than the rebuild would accelerate instantly and we would have a Suddenly deep top 6 forwards. Not to mention our ridiculous amount of forward prospects developing (Too many to type) And Armia will probably be ready for prime time. This is year 3 of our rebuild/suffering period and it's time to embrace it ALL IN.

I don't think the Sabres are taking any development time away from anyone. Zadorov was never going to go back to junior as his agent insisted it was NHL or Russia. Now he is developing at the NHL level and has not looked out of place. He has developed accordingly and all give him the benefit of the doubt cause the Sabres are bad and we know that. Ristolanin is developing fantastically. Girgensoms has taken that tremendous step forward and will play in the All Star game. And Grigorenko looks like he can succeed at the NHL but I wish he was in the AHL and play full time here next year.

The only players forsure back next year are Ennis, Girgensoms, Moulson, Gionta, Foligno, Cody M,Deslauriers up front. Gorges, Ristolanin and Zadorov are the only guarantees on defence as I'm not putting Myers there just yet.

Stafford, Stewart, Neuvirth or Enroth, Maybe Myers will all be traded for picks/prospects which is great in a deep draft and we currently don't have a 3rd round pick (Remember Baptiste)

And Weber, Beniot, Strachan, Flynn, Hodgson. (Buy out) Kaleta and Mitchell won't be retained

Get ready for a big offseason, next seasons team will be Tim Murrays chance to put his stamp on the roster

Last edited:

Keaganizer

Dec 29, 2013
...They definitely should have traded away Enroth when he was hot. Because he had value and we are the worst team in the league. Now he hasn't kept less than 3 goals out of the net in a month and is worthless.

You're all turned around friend. Enroth is who he is...and if anyone would have given you something of value for him when he was on a hot streak...you take it and run. If he were to bump his value up again...TRADE HIM. He isn't the answer here.

Also the teams you named...Tampa drafted in the top 3 THREE TIMES IN THE LAST SIX YEARS. We've done that as many times in our entire history. So...yeah...real classy rebuild through winning there. HAWKS? LOL. Where'd they get Toews and Kane again? A Garage sale? Kings drafted 2, 4 and 5 in consecutive years...I guess by keeping middling players and trying to win more?

The Ducks are the one example. But if you're so quick to dismiss the Pengiuns one cup...I guess we can throw that one away too.

Why would Buffalo want a super exciting top prospect? I don't know...it's weird that the worst team would want such a thing. Especially when the best forward we've had for the last quarter century is either Thomas Vanek or a concussed LaFontaine.

How dare we

Oh wait the Kings 4th overall pick did what? I'll obviously give you that Schenn helped bring in a core, but my point isnt that drafting high isn't the way to build, I'm saying i have a problem with people who are spouting doom and gloom like if we don't land Mceichel we are forever banished to be a horrible franchise. We're currently in line to get a top 5 pick easy, which obviously I'm a fan of. Where did I say that I'm for keeping middling players and hoping to win???? Don't put words in my mouth. When did I say I want a rebuild through winning?

Hawks? Toews was a 3rd overall pick which some posters seem to think will be the end all of our rebuild if we pick at that number. (it's our current draft place too)

Where was all of Boston's top draft picks when they won? Seguin? hardly a force during that year. I'll give you the penguins, I'm obviously not saying you cannot build a winning team through 1st overall draft picks, Detroit? Anaheim? I'm just saying if you're just looking for a phenomenal talent, great, if you're interested in cups, simply having the first overall pick isn't the end all of strategies. We already have a fantastic core in place, one that I believe can win cups if properly developed.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Who knows if we'll even have Enroth next year? It's up to him if he wants to re-sign, that's if Murray even wants to re-sign him. Enroth hasn't proven anything more than Neuvirth. Neither are irreplaceable through trade or free agency,
That's fine, and I agree. If there's a good return available, we should take it. But I kind of doubt there is. In any case, the goaltending situation is one that needs to be addressed in the rebuild. But trading him for scraps just for the purpose of losing is a bad idea. I'd be okay with bringing him back, honestly. Just my opinion, but I think he could be a decent goalie on a good team. Good teams tend to make average goalies look good, and bad teams (like ours) tend to make average goalies look really bad.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
We need to put together a great team, you make great sense but the Sabres need to be bad to get better, this is THE most important year of the rebuild. So losing games was expected even though TMGM won't admit it. If I had the chance to watch us have a 1-3 punch of McEichel, Girgensoms and Reinhart that would be spectacular and you move Ennis and Grigorenko to the wing. Than the rebuild would accelerate instantly and we would have a Suddenly deep top 6 forwards. Not to mention our ridiculous amount of forward prospects developing (Too many to type) And Armia will probably be ready for prime time. This is year 3 of our rebuild/suffering period and it's time to embrace it ALL IN.

I don't think the Sabres are taking any development time away from anyone. Zadorov was never going to go back to junior as his agent insisted it was NHL or Russia. Now he is developing at the NHL level and has not looked out of place. He has developed accordingly and all give him the benefit of the doubt cause the Sabres are bad and we know that. Ristolanin is developing fantastically. Girgensoms has taken that tremendous step forward and will play in the All Star game. And Grigorenko looks like he can succeed at the NHL but I wish he was in the AHL and play full time here next year.

The only players forsure back next year are Ennis, Girgensoms, Moulson, Gionta, Foligno, Cody M,Deslauriers up front. Gorges, Ristolanin and Zadorov are the only guarantees on defence as I'm not putting Myers there just yet.

Stafford, Stewart, Neuvirth or Enroth, Maybe Myers will all be traded for picks/prospects which is great in a deep draft and we currently don't have a 3rd round pick (Remember Baptiste)

And Weber, Beniot, Strachan, Flynn, Hodgson, Kaleta and Mitchell won't be retained

Get ready for a big offseason, next seasons team will be Tim Murrays chance to put his stamp on the roster

/headscratch

Keaganizer

Dec 29, 2013
Yeah, I'm definitely for trading them for any value that can be had.. Just not simply because they're playing well. I mean, I'm for trading any roster player that isn't in the long term plans. I'd be for trading Myers if it got the right return! But I wouldn't take pennies on the dollar just because not having Myers on the team guarantees more losses..

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That's fine, and I agree. If there's a good return available, we should take it. But I kind of doubt there is. In any case, the goaltending situation is one that needs to be addressed in the rebuild. But trading him for scraps just for the purpose of losing is a bad idea. I'd be okay with bringing him back, honestly. Just my opinion, but I think he could be a decent goalie on a good team. Good teams tend to make average goalies look good, and bad teams (like ours) tend to make average goalies look really bad.

I'm fine with bringing him back as well. Same with Neuvirth. But I have no problem with moving one of them tomorrow. It's a situation that's hard to care about. Neither player is going to return much yet neither player is of much importance to keep so long as we have a decent goalie in net next season.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago

Anyway, my two cents

Well Chicago DID get to draft Toews 2 and Kane at 1 in back to back years... Is it to much to ask for the Sabres to be able to do the same?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Anyway, my two cents

Pittsburgh intentionally tanked for Lemieux. Their culture was just fine. If culture is a problem after the tank this year, you start to fix it right after you make the first selection in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad