Official 2015 tank thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Not that I agree with the dumbass, but no "free speech" is being violated here by anyone, as I don't see any goverments stepping in here passing any laws or arresting anyone based on what WGR says about the sabres.

free_speech.png

If WGR said something the sabres didn't like, the sabres would be well within their rights to pull their broadcast rights and settle any contract obligations. Just like if a pro athlete says something unpopular, advertisers will drop their endorsements, and that is not illegal censorship or a violation of free speech either.

Once of the problems with twitter is you can't quite express your ideas fully.

A fully formed version of that would be:

Both WGR and TBN get full benefits of being part of the media coverage. Locker room access, exclusive interviews, etc. Now, WGR pays for this because they broadcast the games. They are the official radio station of the Sabres. TBN gets access because they are a large newspaper in the area.

Now, if some one on the radio made slanderous remarks about a Sabres player or front office, there would be issues and their contract in jeopardy, sure.

But, the same rules would apply to TBN. They make a slanderous comment about a player or front office, it would put their relationship with the Sabres in trouble. Sure, they might not be able to revoke a broadcasting contract, they certainly could deny press credentials.

The Sabres have long let WGR speak their mind, right or wrong. Just because they are a broadcast partner doesn't mean they have to be 'all pro sabres radio, all the time'. Now, if Kevin Sylvester, a Sabres employee on the Sabres radio hour were to say "Yes another less, tanking in awesome, lets do this" on WGR, that'd be a different story. But its wasn't.

By "Free speech" what I meant is that the both WGR and TBN are allowed to express opinions, even if it disagrees with the Sabres official media statements. They have to be able to.

tl;dr: Harrington is dumb.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Once of the problems with twitter is you can't quite express your ideas fully.

A fully formed version of that would be:

Both WGR and TBN get full benefits of being part of the media coverage. Locker room access, exclusive interviews, etc. Now, WGR pays for this because they broadcast the games. They are the official radio station of the Sabres. TBN gets access because they are a large newspaper in the area.

Now, if some one on the radio made slanderous remarks about a Sabres player or front office, there would be issues and their contract in jeopardy, sure.

But, the same rules would apply to TBN. They make a slanderous comment about a player or front office, it would put their relationship with the Sabres in trouble. Sure, they might not be able to revoke a broadcasting contract, they certainly could deny press credentials.

The Sabres have long let WGR speak their mind, right or wrong. Just because they are a broadcast partner doesn't mean they have to be 'all pro sabres radio, all the time'. Now, if Kevin Sylvester, a Sabres employee on the Sabres radio hour were to say "Yes another less, tanking in awesome, lets do this" on WGR, that'd be a different story. But its wasn't.

By "Free speech" what I meant is that the both WGR and TBN are allowed to express opinions, even if it disagrees with the Sabres official media statements. They have to be able to.

tl;dr: Harrington is dumb.

Thats all you needed to say :laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
A run could be had, but a few deadline moves could help prevent that, namely, Mitchell. Losing Stafford/Stewart/Neuvirth won't impact much, I'm more concerned about who comes in for them. Hopefully Rochester guys (if you're thinking pro-tank).

I just went off of your numbers in a vacuum where the past designates the future. Obviously won't happen, but securing less than 31 points is obviously ideal.

I'm not all that concerned with a Mitchell return or even a Flynn-Mitchell-Gionta reunion. That line was plucky when together, but looking back at the games they were together indicates they were still badly outshot and outchanced. I don't think they'll be perceived the same now that we got average Enroth back. I also don't agree that losing him would have a greater impact than Stafford, one of the few players who has produced some offense at ES on an already horrific offensive hockey team.

The problem with moving Enroth is there's little behind him that appears ready to be the #1 guy next year. I agree that moving him would help the tank, but moving Neuvirth looks like the better move long-term.

I see no discernible difference between Enroth and Neuvirth. Enroth had a white-hot few weeks, but has otherwise been below average, IMO. Neuvy's numbers started to sag only after Nolan started riding Enroth--15 starts in 18 games for Jhonas--and giving Neuvy infrequent starts, which is what also killed him in Washington. Then Ted goes and starts Neuvy on back-to-back nights last weekend--while I asked for more Neuvy starts, there's no reason for either of these guys to be playing both nights of a back-to-back--which usually ends poorly on the second night.

Given that Neuvy was acquired by Murray and they hired the goaltending coach under whom Neuvirth has had the most success--and has substantially improved his ESSV% this year--both here and in Washington (Irbe), I think Jhonas may be the odd man out.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm not all that concerned with a Mitchell return or even a Flynn-Mitchell-Gionta reunion. That line was plucky when together, but looking back at the games they were together indicates they were still badly outshot and outchanced. I don't think they'll be perceived the same now that we got average Enroth back. I also don't agree that losing him would have a greater impact than Stafford, one of the few players who has produced some offense at ES on an already horrific offensive hockey team.

Stafford hasn't put up enough offense this year that I'd worry more worried about him then a structurally-competent lineup. I think Mitchell's effect was more for people that weren't on that line.

I see no discernible difference between Enroth and Neuvirth.

You'll laugh, but shootouts.

sabregoon

Nov 7, 2014
Buffalo
Massive game in the McEichel race tonight...how we feeling??

I say 4-2 Carolina...Unless Jhonas steals one...

Just keep this in mind...
"Jeremy White
‏@JeremyWGR
Season Corsi differential at halfway point - Carolina +81, Edmonton -67, Buffalo -910.

For real."

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Massive game in the McEichel race tonight...how we feeling??

I say 4-2 Carolina...Unless Jhonas steals one...

Just keep this in mind...
"Jeremy White
‏@JeremyWGR
Season Corsi differential at halfway point - Carolina +81, Edmonton -67, Buffalo -910.

For real."

Holy ****.

Even just the shot differential alone is pretty scary.

1. Chicago - +276
13. Carolina - +59
22. Edmonton - -95
29. Columbus - -220
30. Buffalo - -489

sabregoon

Nov 7, 2014
Buffalo
Holy ****.

Even just the shot differential alone is pretty scary.

1. Chicago - +276
13. Carolina - +59
22. Edmonton - -95
29. Columbus - -220
30. Buffalo - -489
Oh yeah its insane. I'm pretty sure Toronto was the second worst Corsi at -400 or something along those lines...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
And yet somehow we aren't even close to the basement. What sucks is that even after 1 win in the last 10 we aren't even in 29th and will start winning a few games real soon. The 10 wins in 13 games ****ed us big time. No McDavid and no Eichel sorry. That's what you get when you overachieve and the GM does nothing to change it. Enroth should have been dealt for a mid round pick about 3 games into that overachieving hot streak.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
And yet somehow we aren't even close to the basement. What sucks is that even after 1 win in the last 10 we aren't even in 29th and will start winning a few games real soon. The 10 wins in 13 games ****ed us big time. No McDavid and no Eichel sorry. That's what you get when you overachieve and the GM does nothing to change it. Enroth should have been dealt for a mid round pick about 3 games into that overachieving hot streak.

The Sabres' season is halfway over. They are 4 points out of 28th and 3 out of 29th. That's with the 10 of 13 win streak.

If Buffalo loses in regulation tonight, they are one our of 29th with a game in hand over Edmonton and Carolina.

Far, far from over.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

So anytime we win a couple games, Murray should trade somebody. That'll work out well.

KennyFnPowers*

haven't checked the stats, but this Sabres tank-team can't be anywhere near as bad as the ones from the 80's and 90's... i remember some of those teams being so much worse, i know the game was slower/completely different, but still... that's kind of a deceiving stat.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

We are in 28th place. How is that viewed as "not even close to the basement"?

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
what ever we trade away today for last place, we will recieve back ten fold in what we get in the draft...

We are the worst team in the NHL. The standings will reflect that at the end of the season.

We aren't going on a massing winning streak in the second half, and edmonton + Carolina's records will improve a bit IMO.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
what ever we trade away today for last place, we will recieve back ten fold in what we get in the draft...

We don't need to trade things away is his point. The shot and corsi numbers are proof of it.

This team does not have to get any worse to finish in last.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
haven't checked the stats, but this Sabres tank-team can't be anywhere near as bad as the ones from the 80's and 90's... i remember some of those teams being so much worse, i know the game was slower/completely different, but still... that's kind of a deceiving stat.

They made the playoffs all but two years in the 80's. In those two years they were not close to being last in goals scored or goals allowed. They only missed the playoffs once in the 90's. This team the past couple years is easily the worst in franchise history.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Pretty sure if you told Tim Murray in July that at the halfway mark of the season we would be 4 pts out of last but that nearly all the young players on the team were making strides in their game that he would have been thrilled. If you then told him that Edmonton was in last only because they lost like 22 out of 23 games he would have punched you in anger... and happiness.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Pretty sure if you told Tim Murray in July that at the halfway mark of the season we would be 4 pts out of last but that nearly all the young players on the team were making strides in their game that he would have been thrilled. If you then told him that Edmonton was in last only because they lost like 22 out of 23 games he would have punched you in anger... and happiness.

Ya I don't think this season could have gone any better for Tim Murray, for the things he could control. Everything he did has basically been successful, except he wasn't able to jedi mind trick the Oilers into being functional.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
What absolute baloney.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Your a hypocondriac and a trip. Just stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad