OT: Official 2014 Patriots/NFL Thread - III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
so peter king says the nfl saw this "new" video a long time ago. only conclusion i can make is league, rice and ravens came to agreement that we'll only severely punish you if this video ever gets out.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
At any rate Ray Rice's professional football career is over. No team will ever sign him now, not after this.

I just hope Rice doesn't take it out on his wife.....

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The way Rice doesn't even flinch after he knocks her unconscious is.....I don't even know how to describe it. Evil? Chilling?

For me, this was the worst part. He just stood there and was like,

"WTF am I supposed to do with this dumb ***** that just got herself knocked out?"

The way he just kept pushing and dragging her around the elevator with annoyance and no remorse was unforgivable. I have had times, when I have wanted to just smack someone, but I like to think that if I ever actually did it, I would at least feel bad afterwards.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Just curious, are there still people who believe that Belichick is a defensive genius?

With the defensive roster he had last year, the Patriots were still 10th best in the league in points allowed. So, yeah, I do.

In fact, since 03, only twice have they even been outside the top 10 (05 and 09, their two worst years, won 10 games both years).

One game won't change that. And again, separate Belichick the GM from Belichick the coach.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I get what you're saying. But this shouldn't be a women's issues thing. He should get the same punishment if he did that to his wife's brother. And the NFL already put in a policy on domestic abuse, so it's not like the league isn't explicitly condemning that behavior.

Are you honestly telling me that a guy hitting another guy is the same as a guy hitting a woman?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
glorydaze

Not sure how I got involved in this?

I'm a polarizing figure for sure, but? :laugh:

I'm sure players like Lawrence Taylor could make just about anybody look good, but I'm still pretty sure BB has forgotten more about defensive football than you ever knew. I laugh when people act like the offensive guys on the other side of the ball also haven't been coaching football for years and might also know what the hell they are doing :laugh:

Personally, I think the Pats should be playing more 4-3 than 3-4 with their personnel, but I give BB and Co more credit than you and others do apparently. I believe they will have it figured out and be playing at a high level come playoff time.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
ah yes, i always love that argument. using that logic, nobody can ever criticize belichick or any coach because they know more about football than we do.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
ah yes, i always love that argument. using that logic, nobody can ever criticize belichick or any coach because they know more about football than we do.

You can criticize all you want, but I'm going to guess the guy gets paid millions of dollars and has won multiple championships because he DOES know more than you. Professional coaches make mistakes like everybody else, but they typically have a logical reason why they do something. Whether it works out or not is another matter.

If you know better:

1) you are in the wrong business.

2) you should go offer your vast football knowledge to the Patriots because it looks like they could use your help.

ps just curious, what are your qualifications?

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Not sure how I got involved in this?

I'm a polarizing figure for sure, but? :laugh:

I'm sure players like Lawrence Taylor could make just about anybody look good, but I'm still pretty sure BB has forgotten more about defensive football than you ever knew. I laugh when people act like the offensive guys on the other side of the ball also haven't been coaching football for years and might also know what the hell they are doing :laugh:

Personally, I think the Pats should be playing more 4-3 than 3-4 with their personnel, but I give BB and Co more credit than you and others do apparently. I believe they will have it figured out and be playing at a high level come playoff time.

And I think what's more impressive about what he's done is that, at least his Patriots tenure, has all been in the salary cap era. He has produced a top 10 defense (points-wise) in almost every year since 03, all while dealing with a cap. The Purple People Eaters and the Steel Curtains of the day never had to suffer from salary caps and holdouts. You got paid what they thought you were worth, and you shut up and liked it. That, and they could keep anybody they wanted. Mel Blount in this day and age would have most definitely held out. Back then though, nope. But let's just continue to cry and whine on how terrible he is.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
i just loathe arguments like this. it's maddening. no point to having a discussion about anything and no point to boards like this with that philosophy. nobody has claimed to know more than bill but there are people out there who can use their eyes, watch the games and then point out shortcomings.

member 96824

Jesus Joe come on buddy! That's the worst argument ever. This place would not exist if that were true.

And Cassidy would be 100% right because he's a coach and you aren't :naughty:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
i just loathe arguments like this. it's maddening. no point to having a discussion about anything and no point to boards like this with that philosophy. nobody has claimed to know more than bill but there are people out there who can use their eyes, watch the games and then point out shortcomings.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

However, is there really a need for the oh so original, "Does anybody still think Belichick is a defensive genius?" posts, followed by the "glorydaze does" post? I don't ever recall BB referring to himself as a genius, if anything it's the opposite and he always gives credit to the players first.

The point I was making was sure BB makes mistakes, but he's still closer to a defensive genius than you or I.

I'm still waiting to hear your FHOF credentails though :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Jesus Joe come on buddy! That's the worst argument ever. This place would not exist if that were true.

And Cassidy would be 100% right because he's a coach and you aren't :naughty:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

And I'm sure Cassidy knows way more about hockey than I do, he just doesn't know how to communicate with his players apparently? :laugh:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
It would be a sign of improvement when you consider Minnesota's running game. Especially considering how the Pats got gashed in the run game yesterday.

Definitely. But if we lose the next week, I'll feel slightly more uncertain. It's a long season. I'm not overly worried.

I'm just really worried about our offensive line.

The departures of Scarnecchia and Mankins + the lack of depth + aging QB = :help:

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Are you honestly telling me that a guy hitting another guy is the same as a guy hitting a woman?

If it's the same result, it's the same thing. Murdering a guy is the same as murdering a woman. So is injuring (if it's the same injury).

Obviously hitting someone strong enough to defend him or herself is not the same thing as hitting someone who's not (like Janay). But there's not a perfect divide among genders like that. Rice is strong enough that he shouldn't be punching anyone.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'm just really worried about our offensive line.

The departures of Scarnecchia and Mankins + the lack of depth + aging QB = :help:

Only one game. Didn't they lose 30-0 in Buffalo?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
bill belichick knowing more about football than me is irrelevant. nobody has said otherwise. it's one of the dumbest arguments there is when it comes to sports talk/message boards. yet you keep talking about it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
bill belichick knowing more about football than me is irrelevant. nobody has said otherwise. it's one of the dumbest arguments there is when it comes to sports talk/message boards. yet you keep talking about it.

And you keep refusing to tell me how you can watch the game, see things, and know better than the coaches.

I guess we are at an impasse :D

member 96824

If it's the same result, it's the same thing. Murdering a guy is the same as murdering a woman. So is injuring (if it's the same injury).

Obviously hitting someone strong enough to defend him or herself is not the same thing as hitting someone who's not (like Janay). But there's not a perfect divide among genders like that. Rice is strong enough that he shouldn't be punching anyone.

OOF.

I'm out of this one.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If it weren't for Brady and the offense, the Patriots would almost always be at the bottom in team defense. Brady covers up for a lot.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

This might be the most black and white interpretation of events I have ever read in my life.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
This might be the most black and white interpretation of events I have ever read in my life.

Huh? Isn't saying hitting a woman is always worse than hitting a man more black and white? They're both terrible if the person ends up knocked out. Usually worse if it's a woman though, sure.

Whatever. I didn't think that saying hitting anyone is bad would be so controversial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad