OT: Official 2014 Patriots/NFL Thread - III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The only reason that Ray Rice is terminated is because the tape leaked. It looks really bad and this is damage control.

Makes you wonder how often this happens when someone isn't filming.

Is it swept under the rug?

member 96824

The only reason that Ray Rice is terminated is because the tape leaked. It looks really bad and this is damage control.

It's literally the only way the league could have made themselves look worse in this situation.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Of course it is. Goddell made his bed when he gave him a slap on the wrist. He had a chance to make a statement (IE suspend him for a year), and regardless of the full tape "leaking", he wouldn't have looked like a buffoon.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Goodell makes Bettman look like a living saint.

member 96824

NCAA picked a great time to announce they've given Penn State a slap on the wrist.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Goodell makes Bettman look like a living saint.

Silver mouthing off about cooperating with legalized sports betting is just as bad. Basketball is the easiest game to fix does the NBA want extra scrutiny when teams don't cover a 5 point spread and only win by 4 when they were up 15 with 2 minutes to go and missed every free throw for example? And Selig sucked.

Bettman has always been better than the other commissioners even if he is vilified in Canada. Winnipeg only has a team because it realized what it lost...lack of supply created the demand.

member 96824

Waiting patiently for Darren Rovell to let us know how much money Janay cost Rice.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
I'm generally pro-Goodell (except when it comes to the NFL policy on substance abuse drugs), but I'm just confused about him here. And the Ravens too.

What did today's video change? We already knew he punched her out. How else did Goodell or the Ravens think she got knocked out?

Actually, I'm more confused about Baltimore than Goodell. I think Goodell regretted giving only a 2 game suspension once he heard the public reaction, but you can't just add games without any new evidence like today's. The Ravens could've cut Rice at any time. But they needed video evidence of what we all already knew happened?

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
the two big things are that apparently the league and the ravens saw this tape and did nothing about it.

today's video changed because it was seen by the public and the media who couldn't believe that the league and the team saw this video and thought that a two game suspension was appropriate.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
the two big things are that apparently the league and the ravens saw this tape and did nothing about it.

today's video changed because it was seen by the public and the media who couldn't believe that the league and the team saw this video and thought that a two game suspension was appropriate.

Then I'll even take my point a step further.

How did today's video change anyone's opinion of the matter? How did anyone expect anything else to happen in that elevator?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Waiting patiently for Darren Rovell to let us know how much money Janay cost Rice.

I wonder how much she cost those poor Ravens

BxB_-vNCQAAOs1I.jpg:large

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I hadnt been following this but just watched the video.

What a tough guy. what a POS.

He should have a ****ing baseball bat taken to him.

My kid sister had her face broken by her ex. Jaw, nose, orbital bone. I went looking for him and to this day, 25 years later, I have never seen or heard from him. I had to make restituition for the door I broke down trying to get to him.

Probably just as well as I'd most likely be in jail.

But I have no tolerance for this punk, cowardly ****.

None.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida

How did today's video change anyone's opinion of the matter? How did anyone expect anything else to happen in that elevator?

from what i'm reading, and i'm admittedly late to the party since i don't really enjoy football, there was a question of whether she hit him first or did something in the elevator that justified how she got off the elevator.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

It didn't change the public's opinion on the matter as pretty much everyone was pissed off that he got 2 games. Releasing the video so that everyone could actually see what happened though only made matters even worse.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
New guy at my work just tried to justify Rice's actions. Said it wasn't really the punch that knocked her out, but rather that it was her head bouncing off the elevator handrail. I looked at him and asked him why her head was bouncing off the handrail in the first place. He didn't understand the point I was making.

The takeaway: no matter how crappy you think humanity is, there's always someone out there that will surprise you by showing you it can get worse...

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Personally, I'm really looking forward to the NFL turning pink for breast cancer awareness next month. There's a league that really knows how to show support for women's issues.

God I hate the NFL. I wish I could quit you.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Question..

Let's say the Pats smoke Minnesota 27-3. Do we feel any less uncertain about this team than we do right now?

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Question..

Let's say the Pats smoke Minnesota 27-3. Do we feel any less uncertain about this team than we do right now?

Definitely. But if we lose the next week, I'll feel slightly more uncertain. It's a long season. I'm not overly worried.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Question..

It would be a sign of improvement when you consider Minnesota's running game. Especially considering how the Pats got gashed in the run game yesterday.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Personally, I'm really looking forward to the NFL turning pink for breast cancer awareness next month. There's a league that really knows how to show support for women's issues.

God I hate the NFL. I wish I could quit you.

I get what you're saying. But this shouldn't be a women's issues thing. He should get the same punishment if he did that to his wife's brother. And the NFL already put in a policy on domestic abuse, so it's not like the league isn't explicitly condemning that behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad