Speculation: Offersheeting Puljujärvi 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Looking at the Oilers lineup and income cap 2022, it looks like it could be a good idea to do a Dundon on Puljujärvi. Puljujärvi has become a really good power-forward like hustler and netprescence, who can make space for others. Teams like Toronto and Carolina could really use a guy like that. Lets say Pulju keep beeing a 40+p hustler. Can and will Oilers match something like this:

1yr 4,5-5.5M

Atleast Carolina will have the space to do an offer like this again with Niederraiter, Stepan, Cole and Trocheck coming off the books and he would very likely be a fit with Svechnikov-Aho

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
To early to tell, wait and see what kind of steps he takes this year. IF he improves as much thus season as he did last season he won't make it to RFA status SIMPLE

This is a wait and see year for a player like Puljujarvi

Reactions: powerstuck

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
4M won't get it done, Edmonton can find a way to match that.. Something similar to Kotkaniemi will be what it takes. Just under 6.5M to keep the compensation under a 1st and a 3rd. Matching will put Edmonton just under the cap with 7 defensemen and only 9 forwards signed and Smith as the only goalie (one of the players they'll need to re-sign is Yamamoto too). Just an untenable situation.

You would need him to be better though to be worth that type of offer. Assuming he puts up 45-55 points and you think he still has more to give, he's definitely the right type of player to target and the right cap situation to actually get him,

There won't be much for Edmonton to do at that point. McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Nurse, Keith, and Barrie won't be moved because of value/difficulty moving contracts. Russell, Ceci, Koekkoek, Ryan, Foegele, Kassian, etc.. don't make enough to create cap room. It basically will force them to nickel-and-dime their whole roster.

It will definitely get you the player because Edmonton would be better off just taking the picks and doing what Montreal did and trading them for a cheaper replacement they hope is better. It does leave the signing team with a potentially overpaid Puljujarvi though.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Looking at the Oilers lineup and income cap 2022, it looks like it could be a good idea to do a Dundon on Puljujärvi. Puljujärvi has become a really good power-forward like hustler and netprescence, who can make space for others. Teams like Toronto and Carolina could really use a guy like that. Lets say Pulju keep beeing a 40+p hustler. Can and will Oilers match something like this:

1yr 4,5-5.5M

Atleast Carolina will have the space to do an offer like this again with Niederraiter, Stepan, Cole and Trocheck coming off the books and he would very likely be a fit with Svechnikov-Aho
Why though? They don’t have endless cap space and a big two-way center was a specific need. They have scoring wingers in their deep prospect pool that will be cheaper, the money likely has to go elsewhere. Necas and more permanent improvements at defense definitely come first.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Teams had their chance to get him before last season for Holland’s asking price of a 3rd liner. Nobody paid the price and now he’s going nowhere. The Oilers will sign him

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
After the Aho deal the KK thing was a rarity. Move likely never gets considered if not for Aho. I doubt those moves make offer sheets commonplace. If anything, I think it sends a message that if you do it then it may make your team a target.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

1yr 4,5-5.5M

“Keep” being a 40 pt guy? He was a 25 pt guy this year.

This feels like a work around for a bad trade offer thread to get a first for a guy who shouldn’t be worth more than a late second in a trade at best. I wouldn’t have traded anything for this guy last year, and this year it’s up to something like a third rounder for me....but I still wouldn’t do it. I don’t want the player on my team. He’s an Oiler. Let him keep building a career. No one is giving up a first for the guy, and I certainly hope Carolina feels that way too.

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This would likely be his show me season. If he doesn't, then I'm sure the Oilers would be ecstatic to get a 1st and a 3rd for him. Maybe even a 3rd.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
4M won't get it done, Edmonton can find a way to match that.. Something similar to Kotkaniemi will be what it takes. Just under 6.5M to keep the compensation under a 1st and a 3rd. Matching will put Edmonton just under the cap with 7 defensemen and only 9 forwards signed and Smith as the only goalie (one of the players they'll need to re-sign is Yamamoto too). Just an untenable situation.

You would need him to be better though to be worth that type of offer. Assuming he puts up 45-55 points and you think he still has more to give, he's definitely the right type of player to target and the right cap situation to actually get him,

There won't be much for Edmonton to do at that point. McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Nurse, Keith, and Barrie won't be moved because of value/difficulty moving contracts. Russell, Ceci, Koekkoek, Ryan, Foegele, Kassian, etc.. don't make enough to create cap room. It basically will force them to nickel-and-dime their whole roster.

It will definitely get you the player because Edmonton would be better off just taking the picks and doing what Montreal did and trading them for a cheaper replacement they hope is better. It does leave the signing team with a potentially overpaid Puljujarvi though.

If Barrie has another good season, he would be easy enough to move, that's a good value contract with no NTC attached to it with reasonable enough term.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
“Keep” being a 40 pt guy? He was a 25 pt guy this year.

This feels like a work around for a bad trade offer thread to get a first for a guy who shouldn’t be worth more than a late second in a trade at best. I wouldn’t have traded anything for this guy last year, and this year it’s up to something like a third rounder for me....but I still wouldn’t do it. I don’t want the player on my team. He’s an Oiler. Let him keep building a career. No one is giving up a first for the guy, and I certainly hope Carolina feels that way too.

Start learning math - 25p in 55gp is 37,3p in 82, so almost 40p pace. He actually is very good on the forecheck and could become a good powerforward in the future. He is also usable infront of the goalie on the PP.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
In this scenario Puljujarvi signs a one year offer sheet so he can't play with McDavid? Interesting.

Rather to play with Aho, since he played on the same team in Finland and on the same line at juniors. He also isnt very good at english, so I suppose a team stacked with Finns would actually be very interesting for him?

Reactions: newsportsfan123

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I don't think GM's value Puljujärvi enough for him to be offersheeted

The point is - if the player offersheeted is a bonafide 1st liner with a sure future the offersheeted team matches 100%. Theese questionmarks are the one to take a flier on.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Why though? They don’t have endless cap space and a big two-way center was a specific need. They have scoring wingers in their deep prospect pool that will be cheaper, the money likely has to go elsewhere. Necas and more permanent improvements at defense definitely come first.

Niederraiter will be off the books and Puljujärvi is the same kinda player. Hurricanes need a little hustle upfront

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Rather to play with Aho, since he played on the same team in Finland and on the same line at juniors. He also isnt very good at english, so I suppose a team stacked with Finns would actually be very interesting for him?
Aho is no McDavid. Not even close.

Reactions: rhino71

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Is he worth an offer sheet?

Similar to the expected Kotkaniemi sheet. 1yr overpay and then longterm on a lesser contract. I remember Aho and Puljujärvi train together in Oulu in the summers, so Dundon can just talk to Aho and have him do the dirty work... :D

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
No offence, but I think having too many Finnish national team players on one team all but guarantees the Canes will never win a cup with this group as proven by every Olympics in the history of Olympics. Bridesmaids. Pulju will still be in Edmonton next season and beyond.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
50p would not be a massive jump looking at his pace last season (would be a 13 point increase). He didnt even get proper PP time until the end of the season. 50-60 is completely possible
Hyman and Foegele are going to steal his ice time. I think he will score at a reduced rate compared to last year.

Reactions: mouser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad