Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Oil management left themselves vulnerable with two RFA's floating out there. St. Louis is clearly prioritizing d-man Broberg with that money shot leveraged against a cheap Holloway as a consolation prize. A very thin Oilers prospect pool within a capped out team budget does the hard miles development to be caught vulnerable.

I'll speculate that Broberg isn't matched (likely St. Louis's real target) while Holloway is retained.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I’m betting the agents for Broberg and Holloway were not signing lowball offers and were just waiting to see if an offer sheet would transpire.

The agents were probably nudging teams for offer sheets. I honestly think agents use the threat of offer sheets to get better deals for their clients more than we think. They usually just don’t get signed. Its hard to blame Broberg for signing that though.

Reactions: McDoused and nally

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Man if I have to spend the year watching Nurse and Ceci just get caved game in and game out, while watching Broberg and Parayko play all the hard minutes successfully for the Blues, f*** will that be infuriating and I will never stop talking about it.
Can't help but think the Oilers just assumed they'd sign for cheap and went about other business. They definitely got caught and it isn't a great look.

We went from the summer of Jackson to the summer of George so quickly...

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I think they match Holloway but Broberg is as good as gone. What an absurd amount of money to offer for a guy who played like 10 good games. They are banking BIG on that sample because he was terrible the other 90 games he appeared in..

Time for Stan to work his LTIR magic and put Nurse on LTIR with an allergy to ice or pucks or something.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Huge Broberg fan, no way you can match that contract. A bad team with cap space is buying a flyer on him, you can't compete with that.

If the Oilers lose both I don't know that the team is that much worse next season at least, it hurts in the long term though. Good thing they traded for Savoie.

Reactions: McDoused

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I mean if the agent thought he could get 4.5 on an offer sheet the oilers were never signing Broberg anyways. They were always gonna be way, way short of that amount so I’m not sure what they could have done.

Reactions: CupofOil

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Man if I have to spend the year watching Nurse and Ceci just get caved game in and game out, while watching Broberg and Parayko play all the hard minutes successfully for the Blues, f*** will that be infuriating and I will never stop talking about it.

haha, 110%. But the million dollar question is: are you confident enough in Broberg's ability to do that to trade Ceci to make the cap space?

That is a MASSIVE bet on Broberg, and one that simply has to work out or you are boned. You at least know what you have in Ceci. It's a tough call, and I think I'd let Broberg walk myself, but its not an obvious decision I don't think.

Here are the current D that signed about the same contract as UFAs:
1723561034202.png

Just to give an idea of what type of player you get in UFA season for Broberg's money.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What....the.....f***? This is bad, really bad. They were depending on these two, Broberg specifically, to be impact players going forward and now they get only a 2nd and 3rd, because there's no way they can match. This is brutal.
People are gonna hate Bowman even more now lol. Damn

Reactions: FlameChampion

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This has nothing to do with the Bowman situation other than the delay in getting a GM in place. Armstrong was looking for these sorts of deals. BUt Bowman will wear the consequences if he can't make lemonade out of this lemon.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
He’s failed the 1st test by not signing these guys right away. This is his second test

Stan Bowmen effect
Disagree. This is Jackson. He was an agent so GMs likely saw him as the opposition.
Holland would have garnered respect and may have been warned.

The new hockey world without respect only rules and contracts. Hurt other teams wherever possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad