Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Smaller contracts like i prefer? How about contracts they are worth. Nither player is worth what they were just offered. You think inl these players new these lucrative deals would be offered so held out on edmonton? 🤣🤣

Yes, that you prefer.

The Blues paid them more than you would like, but somehow it’s Jackson’s fault he didn’t exercise magic to make them want to sign here for considerably less.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What is Stan's job? To like observe and report, to do spreadsheets.

It's clear these guys were needing deals, it's clear there are bodies that need to be moved out. Why does this f***er deserve the benefit of the doubt getting gifted a prime job he utterly doesn't deserve.

Get to f***ing work, this is his first of probably many f*** ups. Also where's the "basically" done Draisaitl contract? Get the f*** on it Stan.
Jeff Jackson f***ed up the cap then had months to wait for the offer sheet, but let’s blame the new guy

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I feel like you kind of have to match both. Kane goes on LTIR like rumoured, and you’re fine, but he either needs to spend the whole year recovering, or you have to hope someone goes down
You can't match that Broberg deal. He might finally blossom but that's simply too much right now for a guy who has yet to play a full season in the NHL.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I certainly don't blame Broberg for taking the money. Its a huge raise for him and with the injury problems that he's had this provides with him with some insurance going forward. I would do the same if I were him.

This wasn't entirely unexpected, a number of hockey analysts predicted that an offer sheet would be coming. In an era of salary caps and free agency then there are times when you are going to lose a good player. It didn't help that the Oilers were so tight against the cap but that applies to many teams in the NHL.

You simply move on.

Reactions: McDoused and Barrsy

Apr 29, 2017
This is on Jackson. The Oilers treated signing these guys as an afterthought and it burnt them. I don’t think either of them appreciated the way the team handled their contracts and this is the result. But at least they got their guy in Stan the Man /s

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Sure, I also Don't Care. Stan isn't some f***ing kid, he knows the situation and just kinda sat around. So here we are.

Easy to be angry but a very realistic situation here is both of them didn't like the money the Oilers were offering and their agents told them to wait for this exact opportunity before signing.

I'd say the chances of this being the scenario that happened is like.... 90%?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
For Broberg that's life changing money for a player that doesn't have a guaranteed future in the NHL. Chances are he'll never make that kind of AAV again, he'd have been stupid not to take it.

Reactions: zoo99 and McDoused

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is on Jackson. The Oilers treated signing these guys as an afterthought and it burnt them. I don’t think either of them appreciated the way the team handled their contracts and this is the result. But at least they got their guy in Stan the Man /s

Or perhaps the agents for the players aren’t stupid and were waiting to sign to see if any offer sheets transpired.

Reactions: McDoused

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Chuckling at the geniuses here that are bitching, but particularly about the Broberg one. In what f'ing world (other than in the St Louis world) do you offer Broberg 4.58 per? Cap issues or no cap issues.
Its also comical that alot whining (and who are about to be) called him "junk, a wasted draft pick, mishandled...etc". Obviously a team has a contrary view.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Question I'm pondering:

If we were shopping Broberg in the trade market prior to this morning, would teams have offered more than a 2nd round pick? Would they even offer that much?

I'm not convinced.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I get why Broberg signed his offer sheet. That’s a stupid amount of money for what amounts to a small sample size in the playoffs. He would also get more opportunity in St.Louis with Krug being out for the year.

The only reason I can think for Holloway signing is that he was born in Calgary after all. I remember when we drafted him he mentioned that his family was Flames fans. Maybe almost winning the cup as an Oiler was just too much for them to handle :laugh:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You can't match that Broberg deal. He might finally blossom but that's simply too much right now for a guy who has yet to play a full season in the NHL.

Maybe. But we all were pretty much in agreement that Broberg was the guy who deserved to be in the top 4, not Ceci, this coming season. He was drafted as a guy who was going to take longer to develop, and he’s finally getting there. I’d rather move Ceci for like a 3rd and find an extra million in capspace to keep Broberg

Reactions: nally and fuswald

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
4.5 million for less than a season of games played in the nhl for Broberg. Disgusting, and it only nets a second back. He’s gone. He wanted out earlier this year, we screwed his development up big team. Massive org failure in that front.

Also a secondary f u to the pens in this one, they helped make this happen by trading the second back. It wasn’t hard for them to figure out what might be happening here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Maybe. But we all were pretty much in agreement that Broberg was the guy who deserved to be in the top 4, not Ceci, this coming season. He was drafted as a guy who was going to take longer to develop, and he’s finally getting there. I’d rather move Ceci for like a 3rd and find an extra million in capspace to keep Broberg
If you're dumping Ceci you're more likely losing picks than getting one back. I can certainly see the potential in Broberg but that's a lot of money for his inexperience, especially with a potential Draisatl extension on the horizon.

Reactions: McDoused and Dan403

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
4.5 million for less than a season of games played in the nhl for Broberg. Disgusting, and it only nets a second back. He’s gone. He wanted out earlier this year, we screwed his development up big team. Massive org failure in that front.

Also a secondary f u to the pens in this one, they helped make this happen by trading the second back. It wasn’t hard for them to figure out what might be happening here.

Dubas and Armstrong are co GMs of the Canadian team in the upcoming 4N tournament. Dubas pissed we poached Hyman in free agency.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
I get why Broberg signed his offer sheet. That’s a stupid amount of money for what amounts to a small sample size in the playoffs. He would also get more opportunity in St.Louis with Krug being out for the year.

The only reason I can think for Holloway signing is that he was born in Calgary after all. I remember when we drafted him he mentioned that his family was Flames fans. Maybe almost winning the cup as an Oiler was just too much for them to handle :laugh:

There's barely a spot in the lineup for Holloway after bringing back Henrique, Brown, Janmark, and Perry along with adding Skinner and Arvidsson.

That's probably why he signed the offer sheet.

battlegoon

Jun 13, 2009
Calgary, AB
After hearing all summer that Kane was going to be fine, it makes sense now why yesterday Stauffer leaked that he was going to go on LTIR. Was either trying to scare teams off from completing the offer sheet, or was prepping Oilers fans to know that we'd have cap space to match if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad