Proposal: Offer sheet Nick Robertson

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Honestly... I'm strugglign to figure out why this hasn't happend already.

Do a 1 year offer sheet at $2.25m. It costs you a 3rd round pick. The Leafs can't really match it.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Benning would do something like this

He had an obsession with players who underperformed, but thought he knew better than everyone else and could rehab them.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Okay. I think it might be worth a 2nd for the chance to get a player who is ready to score 25 goals.
If you want Robertson call the Leafs and arrange a trade. He will sign a hell of a lot cheaper than 4.5M once you have his rights.
A 2nd might get it done or maybe you have something expendable on your roster the leafs value more.
No reason to burn your relationship with another team over a guy who has already requested a trade and drastically over pay him to do it.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
You dont even need to offer him 4M. Just offer him 2.5M and the leafs still wont be able to match

Robertson at 2.5 would be a steal for any team

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You dont even need to offer him 4M. Just offer him 2.5M and the leafs still wont be able to match

Robertson at 2.5 would be a steal for any team
Robertson is a no man’s land player. He’s not good enough to be in your top-6 and he is not suited for bottom 6. He is small and oft injured .These types of players are not worth an offer sheet.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs have been a team desperate for cheap forward depth basically ever since Robertson was drafted (thanks to the overpaid 4), and had a GM & Coach combo that absolutely loved small, soft forwards at any position in the lineup.

The stars aligned perfectly for Robertson to make the team every single year and he still couldn't get himself a permanent spot in the lineup. If he couldn't get er done in an ideal scenario, I doubt he does it anywhere else. I'd happily take a 3rd for him at this point

I don't really get the Buffalo inquiry. Wouldn't they have been better off giving Matthew Savoie a shot if they really wanted to develop a 5'9" scoring forward?

Reactions: Hobnobs and JKG33

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Honestly... I'm strugglign to figure out why this hasn't happend already.

Do a 1 year offer sheet at $2.25m. It costs you a 3rd round pick. The Leafs can't really match it.

There's limited teams who have the cap space, required picks, and motivation. Many of the teams who have cap space have it reserved for their own RFAs.

According to PuckPedia, these are the teams who have 2.25 mil in cap space:

Nashville (3.1 mil): Tomasino/Parssinen RFA, just traded Cody Glass to open up space
New Jersey (4.98 mil): Dawson Mercer RFA
Montreal (5.45 mil)
Winnipeg (5.78 mil): Cole Perfetti RFA
Dallas (6.24 mil): Thomas Harley RFA
Seattle (6.37 mil): Matt Beniers RFA
Carolina (6.44 mil): Seth Jarvis RFA
Chicago (6.68 mil):
Buffalo (8.45 mil):
Boston (8.64 mil): Jeremy Swayman RFA
Utah (9.92 mil):
Columbus (10.9 mil):
San Jose (13.6 mil):
Detroit (17.65 mil): Moritz Seider + Lucas Raymond RFA
Calgary (19.2 mil):
Anaheim (21.7 mil)

Until teams figure out their own RFAs, it seems unlikely that they'd go the offer sheet route.

Now mix in a handful of teams who have already dealt their 2025 3rd: New Jersey (Jake Allen), Chicago (traded for 2024 3rd), Calgary (Monahan cap dump), Carolina (Evgeni Kuznetsov), San Jose (included with Tomas Hertl).

How many teams does that leave? Do teams like Montreal, Buffalo, Utah, Columbus, or Anaheim need another winger at this point or do they have their own prospects?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How many teams does that leave? Do teams like Montreal, Buffalo, Utah, Columbus, or Anaheim need another winger at this point or do they have their own prospects?
Robertson would not be a prospect on the Habs. We got way better on the way and they bring size along with talent.

Reactions: Brodeur

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't think he has that kind of value. Unless the TML can clear space, I imagine they are happy to get a 3rd for him.

He's a guy the Pens board has mentioned a few times. We have the SJS 3rd and now the STL 3rd. I feel either of those for his RFA rights and reasonable discussions regarding a $2-3mil bridge would be fair for all parties.
You have to give up your teams pick, not acquired ones

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
There's limited teams who have the cap space, required picks, and motivation. Many of the teams who have cap space have it reserved for their own RFAs.

According to PuckPedia, these are the teams who have 2.25 mil in cap space:

Nashville (3.1 mil): Tomasino/Parssinen RFA, just traded Cody Glass to open up space
New Jersey (4.98 mil): Dawson Mercer RFA
Montreal (5.45 mil)
Winnipeg (5.78 mil): Cole Perfetti RFA
Dallas (6.24 mil): Thomas Harley RFA
Seattle (6.37 mil): Matt Beniers RFA
Carolina (6.44 mil): Seth Jarvis RFA
Chicago (6.68 mil):
Buffalo (8.45 mil):
Boston (8.64 mil): Jeremy Swayman RFA
Utah (9.92 mil):
Columbus (10.9 mil):
San Jose (13.6 mil):
Detroit (17.65 mil): Moritz Seider + Lucas Raymond RFA
Calgary (19.2 mil):
Anaheim (21.7 mil)

Buffalo is loaded with prosprct ELC wingers.

They have the cap space to fo a 1 yr OS

Next year the Sabres can br in a cap crunch with ELCs ending (quinn, peterka, Levi-he cant get OS) and others along with a few more in 2026

Reactions: Brodeur

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Robertson would not be a prospect on the Habs. We got way better on the way and they bring size along with talent.
Buffalo is loaded with prosprct ELC wingers.

Yup, I meant it more as a rhetorical question to the other poster. I was too lazy to list out the depth charts, but most teams are set and/or have their own young prospects that they're trying to break into the NHL.

I suppose I get why some posters like the chaos of offer sheets, but a lot has to line up to have one make sense for the team and the player. It took a long term Torey Krug injury to spring St. Louis into action. The other poster seemingly expected a team like Anaheim to go offer sheet Robertson since they have ample cap space even if the player doesn't fit into their lineup.

Reactions: HabsAddict

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He’s also listed on NHL, hockeydb and hockey-reference as 5’9”, so hard to say.
I think he’s much closer to 5 9 than 5 10 . I know it’s a small difference but he looks pretty tiny out there generally . A 510 185 guy wouldn’t stand out that much imo

I think if the comp is a 2 nd rounder they’d let him walk but not for a 3 rd imo

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What happens if Buffalo hits Robertson with the exact same offer sheet as Holloway?

Does Toronto match or does he find his new team and Buffalo (any team X that has a 3rd round pick in 2025) get the player at the cost of the 3rd rounder?

Can Toronto ever afford ~$2.3MM/per year for Robertson. Does their cap have space for this?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Anaheim is already overly deep with wingers, there wouldn't be a direct line to a top 9/PP opportunity or really even a roster spot, as much as I do believe in his upside as a scorer.

Zegras - McTavish - Terry
Gauthier - Carlsson - Killorn
Fabbri - Strome - Vatrano
McGinn/Johnston - Lundestrom - Leason

Plus there are some bigger bodies who seem NHL ready and more suited to a depth role in Regenda, Colangelo and Nesterenko. Based on their recent drafting, I think the Ducks are angling to surround their skill guys with size.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Anaheim is already overly deep with wingers, there wouldn't be a direct line to a top 9/PP opportunity or really even a roster spot, as much as I do believe in his upside as a scorer.

Zegras - McTavish - Terry
Gauthier - Carlsson - Killorn
Fabbri - Strome - Vatrano
McGinn/Johnston - Lundestrom - Leason

Plus there are some bigger bodies who seem NHL ready and more suited to a depth role in Regenda, Colangelo and Nesterenko. Based on their recent drafting, I think the Ducks are angling to surround their skill guys with size.
Your top nine... starting to look pretty interesting... assuming it can stay healthy and Zegras can get his act together.

This post of yours is probably the first time it's triggered me to think about the Ducks roster... for the first time in a few years. I'd be happy to see Anaheim become a viable NHL team again you don't just check mark the W when your team plays them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad